New Sonor PROLITE Series

EcnivZeud

It looks like Sonor will launch a new range in their high-end segment.
They displayed this mysterious picture on their website and on their facebook page:

We can only see a round-shaped letter on the left of LITE. Beautiful badge BTW.
After some browsing, I found on the canadian online magazine "Drums etc" an ad, confirming that this series will be called PROLITE:

http://www.muziketc.ca/en/welcome_en.aspx

In small letters below the new range name is written "Vintage Maple Shell", "Made in Germany".
What do you think guys, are they replacing their Delite and S-Classix lines, merging them into one single professional line with targeted configurations? Then they would certainly propose different choices of wood (maple and scandinavian birch, but what about a german-made beech series?) and thickness?
In the same magazine one can notice that the cymbal stands look also modified with respect to the current design: the arm can be inserted in the stand, à la Yamaha. Looks interesting.
On one of the last pages, they also talk about a new strainer, the "Dual Glide".

Interesting, but nothing so revolutionary in my opinion...

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting! I'm a great advocate of ultra light constructions for clean & distinct tone. Indeed, our new series is exactly that, but it looks like Sonor will release their series before ours = dammit!!!

That's ok though, as Sonor are very unlikely to go as far down the development road as we are, & almost certainly won't be using stave & steam bent shells to get that pronounced timber tone. All that said, Sonor are by far my favourite major drum manufacturer, & I'm sure whatever it is will be superb. Thanks for the heads up :)

millerscapes

Interesting!! I knew they (Sonor) are discontinuing the S Classix line at year end- not sure about Delite- but I wasn't aware that a new line was already being introduced! Looking forward to some more info...

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I love Sonor but I must admit the Guru drums are beautiful in both appearance and sound.
Thanks Bob :) Though I do think that, out of all the major brands, Sonor is the one that's likely to make a good job of a light drum design. I do like their shells, & if I was to buy a ply kit right now, it would almost certainly be a Sonor.

EcnivZeud

Some news on Sonor website.
The Prolite is basically a Delite with vintage maple shells, a new badge, a new airvent, a redesigned TAR and a new strainer on the snares.
As said, nothing revolutionary, especially concerning the woods used...
And it is still unclear whether it will coexist with the S-classics or not:
one one hand the announcement on the website says "The successor of the famous S Classix and legendary Delite series which defined a new quality standard at their time combines the best of the previous series along with consequent upgrades to set a new high-end standard in drum series manufacturing." but on the other hand the Prolite appears on the products page alongside with the S-classix and the Delite.
I'm confused. And I hope they won't suppress the S-classix!

Smatch

Some news on Sonor website.
The Prolite is basically a Delite with vintage maple shells, a new badge, a new airvent, a redesigned TAR and a new strainer on the snares.
As said, nothing revolutionary, especially concerning the woods used...
And it is still unclear whether it will coexist with the S-classics or not:
one one hand the announcement on the website says "The successor of the famous S Classix and legendary Delite series which defined a new quality standard at their time combines the best of the previous series along with consequent upgrades to set a new high-end standard in drum series manufacturing." but on the other hand the Prolite appears on the products page alongside with the S-classix and the Delite.
I'm confused. And I hope they won't suppress the S-classix!
From what I understand. The Classix and Delite will indeed be replaced by the new Prolite. Basically you will have several price points determined by the shell material and finish. The new prolite will be either a thin maple or thin birch shelled German made high end production kit.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Info is up on the site:

Oops - guess that link isn't so good. Anyways - it's on the Sonor site in the 'news' section.

S

sticks4drums

Interesting! I'm a great advocate of ultra light constructions for clean & distinct tone. Indeed, our new series is exactly that, but it looks like Sonor will release their series before ours = dammit!!!

That's ok though, as Sonor are very unlikely to go as far down the development road as we are, & almost certainly won't be using stave & steam bent shells to get that pronounced timber tone. All that said, Sonor are by far my favourite major drum manufacturer, & I'm sure whatever it is will be superb. Thanks for the heads up :)
I am way ahead of both Guru, and Sonor. I have light shells all over my basement. One of the reasons these Saturn's sound so good. :p

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Sonor are pretty much light-years ahead of just about every mass-market ply manufacturer. Others get close and sometimes exceed but there's something about a Sonor kit to me that just screams quality - and the kind of quality that you don't always get everywhere else. You pay too much for it, mind but these kits look very tasty indeed. The Classix line is a very serious line and if these are anything like those then we're in for a treat. I'm sad to see the Delite name go but if these drums cover the same point then it's no major issue - just a consolidation of lines.

S

sticks4drums

Sonor are pretty much light-years ahead of just about every mass-market ply manufacturer. Others get close and sometimes exceed but there's something about a Sonor kit to me that just screams quality - and the kind of quality that you don't always get everywhere else. You pay too much for it, mind but these kits look very tasty indeed. The Classix line is a very serious line and if these are anything like those then we're in for a treat. I'm sad to see the Delite name go but if these drums cover the same point then it's no major issue - just a consolidation of lines.
Your so cute. It is good to see you excited! :) A little bit delusional, but excited just the same. :)

Mr. Brownstone

I am way ahead of both Guru, and Sonor. I have light shells all over my basement. One of the reasons these Saturn's sound so good. :p
Aren't the Saturns 5.1mm? The current Delites are 4mm with reinforcement rings. Even the Delites from 10 or so years ago had 4.2 mm shells.

S

sticks4drums

Indeed mon ami, 5.1 is a nice thin shell. But you're not way ahead of Sonor when they've been doing this for years now, are you? :)

Salut!
I was just bugging my buddy KIS. He thinks he has invented the thin shell. :p

S

sticks4drums

I think I have figured something out. European people like European drums, American people like American made drums, and Canadians like Asian drums just to piss off the other two. :)