New song by Pass of Era - ‎For This There Is No Name

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Wow, yet another promotional thread by me. Sorry to the 5 or so people who actually venture into this part of the forum... ;)

Anywho this song is a bit different from what we normally do. We decided on a more groove based song (who knew that was possible in prog?) and the result was quite cool!

As usual all feedback is welcome!

http://passofera.com/music.php#x

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pass-of-Era/43425884931?sk=app_2405167945

-Jonathan

p.s. Please keep in mind that we have limited resources and were not able to record this last one in a professional studio. Please don't let that detract from the song!

Nodiggie

Gold Member
I really enjoyed the track. I've always liked acoustic guitar mixed with Rock or Metal. The drums are solid and you all have a great vibe going on with all your works. Great work brother, thanks for sharing.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Couldn't get that first link to work Jonathan. Just getting it up on FB. Get back to you.

Ok, now I've got it. Lovely stuff Jonathan. Really liked your drumming, but especially the bass drum parts & control in the grooves. Tasty. How was this recorded? Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Too funny, I'm sitting here listening to your EP when I stumbled upon this thread.....

I like the new song. Not as much as your other material though; there is a certain Dave Mathews quality to it, and well, I'm not a Dave Mathews fan. But that's just me.

But in terms of being a prog band, it's good to have a variety of material. A good band/album has highs and lows that completes the musical adventure. Too many wana-be prog bands feel this need to show off how prog they are every song, and it gets old. While the classic prog bands we know and love are successful because they can have a wider variety of material; and to me, that is being progressive. Which is a long way of saying if you put all your stuff on one album, and this song in the middle, this would fit right in and strengthen the album, because it does provide a nice contrast to your other material.

But just far as the drumming, once again, top notch stuff! :) Great feel and very tasty playing.

S

sticks4drums

Great job as usual. Love the guitar riffs at the ending of the song, just wish you went with him a bit more. You guys have great promise. Keep up the great work.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
... in terms of being a prog band, it's good to have a variety of material. A good band/album has highs and lows that completes the musical adventure.

Too many wana-be prog bands feel this need to show off how prog they are every song, and it gets old. While the classic prog bands we know and love are successful because they can have a wider variety of material ...

But just far as the drumming, once again, top notch stuff! :) Great feel and very tasty playing.
I agree with all of this. Musicianship was classy, as usual. I think the saddest example of gratuitous "prog-ising" making a mess of a decent song was ELP's Still You Turn Me On. Okay, the lyrics were ... different ... but the silly wah wah was an act of musical vandalism!

Not all songs want to be bent around all over the place and Pass of Era was musically mature enough to see that, yet the music is still stylised enough to feel more like prog than pop. After all, a prog musician who doesn't carry on at least a little ain't no prog musician :)

Great work with the website too - great job.