New snare Sunday!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Who knew FedEx delivers on Sundays?

Just got the DW Collectors satin finish maple snare in 6.5x14! I immediately swapped out the heads for Evans and I swapped the snares for some Canopus ones I picked up at the shop. Time to start playing!

Snare #2 arrives Tuesday! Woo hoo!

90B65028-44EB-4CF8-9849-FDDF81935484.jpegD2614DB0-B5D4-4D16-8E0C-360E1A21C36B.jpeg3F2D1721-0532-4B2B-8D35-E86EA4DEB76C.jpegBA758633-CFEF-432B-9E2F-0F37344DFA18.jpegBCF93623-70B5-4CEF-ACF9-AA23959478E4.jpeg

TJK

Who knew FedEx delivers on Sundays?

Just got the DW Collectors satin finish maple snare in 6.5x14! I immediately swapped out the heads for Evans and I swapped the snares for some Canopus ones I picked up at the shop. Time to start playing!

Snare #2 arrives Tuesday! Woo hoo!

View attachment 92756View attachment 92757View attachment 92758View attachment 92759View attachment 92760
Nice drum. Does it have snare beds? I owned a 6.5 back in 2000 and it was a dog. I pulled the head and there was no fxng bed cut in! Wtf, I never bought dw again. Did not know if it was standard for them or not

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nice drum. Does it have snare beds? I owned a 6.5 back in 2000 and it was a dog. I pulled the head and there was no fxng bed cut in! Wtf, I never bought dw again. Did not know if it was standard for them or not
Yes it does. Most all DW snares have them nowadays. Maybe yours was supposed to be a True Sonic? Those were the DynaSonic replicas with no beds for use with snares stretched on its own aluminum frame? Coulda been one of those.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Where are you putting all these drums you buy? Hope you like the DW. I've not played one yet that I liked. For some reason though I've not found a PDP that I didn't like. Interesting eh?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Where are you putting all these drums you buy? Hope you like the DW. I've not played one yet that I liked. For some reason though I've not found a PDP that I didn't like. Interesting eh?
Oddly enough, the last four All-maple Collectors kits I didn’t like. After a while I thought it was me. Now these cherry mahogany drums with thicker heads sound awesome. After a day I’ve got them dialed in and they sound like that sound I hear in my head.

But I’ve heard that about PDP too. People get great tones out of those and they become favorites. In fact, I was tempted to try one of those Concept Maple kits (only $1000 for a seven piece set! Wow) but they don’t make traditional sizes that I like. So I said “one more time with DW” and if it didn’t work out, I’ll walk away altogether and never try them again. And it worked this time. I really like these.

Darth Vater

Google Irfanview. It's is a free photo editor that even a monkey (like me) can use to rotate and resize pics. Pretty drum!

Mcdonap

I like how the grain is subtle and yet it makes for a beautiful drum.

I don't know if DW even makes them, but had you given any thought to using the same woods (mahogany and cherry) in a snare instead of maple?

I remember that you were going to check out some Canopus snares - were you not crazy about those? (I guess you liked the wires, anyway.)

roncadillac

The only DW drum I ever played and enjoyed was basically that same snare drum. It is owned by a studio I was recording at and decided to use it on all three tracks that day. I tuned it WAY higher then I ever normally would and it just never choked out and always maintained a nice woody body despite it's absurd piccolo like crack.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Hey Bo could you expound a little bit on those Canopus wires?

Are they significantly different than say PureSound wires? Is there any special quality you prefer with them? Thanks.

That's some really clear maple. My favorite sized snare too.

A few words regarding a comparison tone-wise between your Reference and the Cherry DW's would be appreciated as well. I'm very interested in the cherry. I remember Andy saying he would like a set of cherries for himself. That kind of stoked the fire.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I like how the grain is subtle and yet it makes for a beautiful drum.

I don't know if DW even makes them, but had you given any thought to using the same woods (mahogany and cherry) in a snare instead of maple?

I remember that you were going to check out some Canopus snares - were you not crazy about those? (I guess you liked the wires, anyway.)
A matching cherry/mahogany snare nobody had - so I’d have to special order one. And I noticed the exotic wood snares didn’t come with re-rings, and I wanted those. But the deal with the snares were to have two same size; one wood, one metal, so I can cover the spectrums.
Canopus makes great stuff, but I’m not a big fan. But the vintage snare wires are great! And they’re only a few bucks more than the PureSounds.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I'm curious as to how this drum sounds. I have owned a DW Collector's snare and played a couple of others. I have found that every one of them sounded boxy and lacking crispness. Mind you, the last Collector's snare I played was over 10 years ago. I'm wondering if they have changed at all.