New Snare Suggestions

I'm in the market for a new general-purpose snare. (Doesn't have to be brand-new, will consider a good-condition used snare.) My budget is $300-$400. I play in a straight-ahead rock band (Springsteen, Petty, Dylan). Will use the snare for 95%live gigs, 5% (or less) recording. Just bought a used DW maple kit, white marine pearl, and need a snare.

The best way I can describe the sound I like is a nice clean 'pop'. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at, either new or used?

Thanks!

Thanks, someone recently recommended a supraphonic to me. I've never had one, but they seems to be the standard by which most rock snares are judged.

Should I be looking for a new one, or a used one? Ebay's got a buch from the 60's, 70's
80's. Any advice on which vintages are good, and which ones to avoid? Should I get a 5x14 or a 6.5x14? I saw a nice new one on ebay for $369 with "tube lugs"...is this good or bad? Help!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Supras are hands down some of the best snares on the market. I lean towards the 6.5 x 14 mostly because it's a classic voice of rock, and it can sound fat or poppy. I will say the 5x14 is fantastic as well. I wish I had BOTH!!!

Oh...and tube lugs are the only way I like 'em....stylish!

I think thy're just different cosmetically. Nothing different sound wise from classic lugs. I just think they look fantastic!

EDIT: I just realized I say FANTASTIC alot in my posts when I'm talking about supras. That's fantastic!

Thanks. Do you have a preference between hammered and regular chrome?

I saw a 5x14 hammered supra with tube lugs on craigslist....beautiful drum. But it seems the consensus is that if you can only afford 1 (like me), go with the 6 1/2 x 14..

I would check out the Tama Stewart Copeland Signature snare. It should be under $330, and it is basically a Ludwig Black Beauty: it is a chrome over brass 5x14 snare, great pop and articulation, die-cast top hoop. More affordable than a Supra or BB but just as nice sounding, in my opinion.

World Max Black Dawg 5x14 would work, too. Karl Crafton on this forum owns some and likes them--he could give you info. on World Max. But Modern Drummer has given the WM brasses great reviews and these snares have also won snare olympic awards. And they'll cost you under $310 easily. Check out George's Drum Shop Web site (store is in Ohio)--they sell World Max snares.

Note: I just compared, side by side, a Ludwig Supra (chrome aluminum), Ludwig Black Beauty brass, and Tama Copeland chrome over brass the other day, and the sound palette of all three are very close, very nice. Cannot go wrong with any of these three.

Thanks. Do you have a preference between hammered and regular chrome?

I saw a 5x14 hammered supra with tube lugs on craigslist....beautiful drum. But it seems the consensus is that if you can only afford 1 (like me), go with the 6 1/2 x 14..

If you decide on a Supra, you can't go wrong. I like mine: hammered with tube lugs. It has a P-86 millenium strainer instead of the P-85.

Tube lugs look good on the smooth shell 5x14, too. But I would like a 6.5x14

Attachments

• LM400KT resampled.jpg
    LM400KT resampled.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Get the Supraphonic chrome over brass (not chrome over aluminum, and not steel). Cascio Interstate Music has great prices on Ludwig. I paid less than $400 for a brand new Supraphonic (5x14).

I own and prefer the classic 602: 14 x 6 1/2 chrome over aluminum, with the "Imperial" lugs. If you want a player's drum, buy a used one in less than perfect condition, or get a new one online. It's been debated a lot on the forum which one sounds best, and it's thought by most to be pretty much a toss-up.

Great freakin snares! Super versatile. You will not regret your purchase!

Back