New snare project - Help w/Lug Identification

Big_Al47

Senior Member
I just picked up this used snare drum off Craigslist. The lugs are kinda cool, I've never seen these before. Can anyone identify these?

This snare drum was painted rather poorly, it's a little bumpy in places and there was a lot of overspray on the inside of the shell. Also, they painted the bearing edges! I already removed all the hardware and will begin stripping off all paint (inside and out), then clean the shell thoroughly and repaint. I'm thinking a red glitter type paint.

I will post pics. of the snare when completed. Again, if anyone can identify these lugs, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!







 

Big_Al47

Senior Member
I started working on getting the shell ready for paint, took about 4 hours total so far today with breaks in-between.....

Stripper doing it's work, can see the primer underneath the paint....


Good view of the overspray/paint inside the drum shell....


Inside of drum shell clean, now it's masked off completely...


With all paint removed and the shell nice and clean...


All masking complete, including bearing edges, ready for paint...


It's cold and rainy today, so I can't begin spray-painting it, will have to wait until later this week. Will post more pics. later on.
 

jodgey4

Silver Member
That cleaned up real nice! I'm surprised the metal is that clean. Cool lugs! I too hope the rain stops soon so I can get some work done as well, haha.
 

Big_Al47

Senior Member
That cleaned up real nice! I'm surprised the metal is that clean. Cool lugs! I too hope the rain stops soon so I can get some work done as well, haha.
Thanks! Yeah, the shell looks really good in person, but does have some fine scratches here and there.
 

Big_Al47

Senior Member
Took some closeup pics of the lugs to help with the identification. 2 of the lugs don't have the post to put the screw into from the inside, they were just held in place with the snare heads. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, I would appreciate it.



Another closeup...


Rear of lug, just a simple spring and 2 posts, 2-1/4" spacing center to center....


1 of the 2 broken lugs, not sure how to fix this....
 

tamadrm

Platinum Member
You could try JB weld.Its an epoxy used on metal,but I doubt it will work.Those studs are under high tension and are being pulled vertically as well as horizontally.I'm sure you can find lugs with that spacing. Ones that will match the lugs you have will be more problematic,and you'll probably end up replacing all of them.

Steve B
 

Big_Al47

Senior Member
I went by Home Depot (Large home improvement & tool store) and bought a drill bit and tap die or whatever it's called. I was able to make threads in the existing holes and purchased screws that fit perfectly.

I am back in business :)

Also, started painting the shell today, I was going to use a glitter type paint, but I saw a "metallic copper" paint that looked really cool, so I went with that one instead. I also cleaned the years of gunk and surface rust with a Mr. Clean magic erasure & Nev-R-Dull. The hardware is all nice and shiny. Will post pics when it's all done.
 

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I went by Home Depot (Large home improvement & tool store) and bought a drill bit and tap die or whatever it's called. I was able to make threads in the existing holes and purchased screws that fit perfectly.

I am back in business :)

Also, started painting the shell today, I was going to use a glitter type paint, but I saw a "metallic copper" paint that looked really cool, so I went with that one instead. I also cleaned the years of gunk and surface rust with a Mr. Clean magic erasure & Nev-R-Dull. The hardware is all nice and shiny. Will post pics when it's all done.
Make sure you ruff up the surface,and use a good primer coat as well.After painting,shoot a few coats of clear over the paint to give it depth.Pics when you're done.

Steve B
 

Big_Al47

Senior Member
Started re-painting the snare....


Still in progress....


With a coat of clear...


Should be all done applying the clear coats today, then will let it dry/cure for a couple of days, then put the hardware and new heads back on this weekend. Will post pics when it's all done.
 

Big_Al47

Senior Member
As promised, here are the completed pics....

Lugs and bottom head installed....




Top head going on...


 

Big_Al47

Senior Member
Thanks everyone, I'm really proud of the way it came out. The snare sounds pretty good with the new heads on there. Haven't had a chance to really play it for a long period, just mainly tuning it and doing a few paradiddles here and there. Hopefully I can play it with the rest of the kit later today and really see if it shines or not.
 
Top