New Snare for a Non-Drummer

wildbill

Platinum Member
I don't have any of the snares you're considering, but here's my thoughts on them anyways-ha ha.

The Supraphonic or Black Beauty, or both, are sort of the end goal of a lot of people who work their way through snares.
If you think you might be one of those people, get the Supra now.

About the Supralites - I like them, but I'm used to the sound of steel snares. They're brighter and have more ring. A lot of people don't like that, and work their way down the brightness spectrum from steel.
They can be easily tamed with damping, but the resulting sound will be different.

You could get an Acro, but for the small price difference, I'd get the Supra. Give it a good coat of wax, and try to keep it out of real humid environments, and there should be little to no problems with pitting/surface rust down the road.

SoupCanSham

I went back in and played them again. I discovered that the Supraphonic is new but a B-stock as the badge is clipped. They labeled it properly, too - I just didn't see it before. I can't find a flaw, but there's one there somewhere. I suspect the Acro might be too, but maybe not. It's in a display and I put it back before I thought to check the tag for a B-stock label.

Honestly I could be happy with the sound of the Supralite, but I think I will always aspire to a Supraphonic. I think between the Supraphonic and the Acro I'd take the Supra even though the Acro is a limited edition.

Does the B-stock thing make anyone think differently?

wildbill

Platinum Member

...Honestly I could be happy with the sound of the Supralite, but I think I will always aspire to a Supraphonic....
Go for it.

If it's just a minor issue with the badge, and you plan to hang onto it for a while, it wouldn't be a concern - for me, anyways.

Last edited:

MatrixClaw

About the Supralites - I like them, but I'm used to the sound of steel snares. They're brighter and have more ring. A lot of people don't like that, and work their way down the brightness spectrum from steel.
This is exactly why I've never liked any of the steel snares I've owned and coincidentally, exactly why I like the Supralite, cause it doesn't have the typical, cheap sounding, steel characteristics that I dislike.

Supraphonic is warmer, though, sure. I had a Black Beauty a few years ago and thought it was an alright snare, ended up selling it in favor of a Pork Pie Big Black Brass, which I actually just sold this week, since I rarely use it anymore. Not that the Pork Pie sounded better, but it was A LOT cheaper and sounded almost as good. Never been super fond of the brass snares though - I find they like to be tuned high to sound their best, and I've grown to really dislike high pitched snares anymore. Used to be huge on it when I was younger, but now I find the big and fat snare sound is much more desirable.

You can get imported steel shelled snares for 50 bucks, brand new, during sales sometimes. Different sizes, and they don't have the Ludwig tag - but still....

Don't get me wrong. I like the Supralites, and am still thinking of getting one, but I don't think they're a super bargain or anything.
American made snares carry a higher price tag, so imports seem like a bargain.
Sure and you can get a piece of crap snare for $50, too.

TS, if the Supra is the sound you want, then go for it! Aside from the Pearl Sensitone Elite, there's not much else that will get you that sound for a similar price.

wildbill

Platinum Member
...Sure and you can get a piece of crap snare for $50, too....
I've got one of those new 50 buck, steel shelled, imported wonders.

After a little work, it holds up well. Not a Supra, but far from a piece of crap.

... exactly why I like the Supralite, cause it doesn't have the typical, cheap sounding, steel characteristics that I dislike...
I'm considering a Supralite because it has the steel shell characteristics that I like. Mainly brightness, and ring.
My point was merely that those are obtainable for less - don't take offense - I like the Supralite line.

BGH

Gold Member
I went back in and played them again. I discovered that the Supraphonic is new but a B-stock as the badge is clipped. They labeled it properly, too - I just didn't see it before. I can't find a flaw, but there's one there somewhere. I suspect the Acro might be too, but maybe not. It's in a display and I put it back before I thought to check the tag for a B-stock label.

Honestly I could be happy with the sound of the Supralite, but I think I will always aspire to a Supraphonic. I think between the Supraphonic and the Acro I'd take the Supra even though the Acro is a limited edition.

Does the B-stock thing make anyone think differently?
As far as I know, B Stock only indicates flaws in the finish. Its not a structural problem with the shell or a hardware issue. If it were hardware, they would have just replaced the part. So, its a cosmetic thing, as far as I know. A new 6.5" Supra for $370? I say 'buy it.' You know that's what you want...don't deny it... :)

aparker2005

I have a black beauty that no matter what other snare I get, nothing will take its place. It's just amazing.

Today I picked up a Supralite and it is amazing as well. Fairly close to my BB but higher pitched with more ring. The BB is a lot warmer. This supralite seems to have more body though. I love it, but it's still no BB.

I had a 6.5 Aluminum sensitone I regret selling so now I'm on the lookout. I think those 3 metals would cover everything. Not big on wood snares. Oddly enough I went through 2 acrolites and sold them both. Probably the shallow depth but the acrolite did nothing for me.

But to answer your question, you can NOT go wrong with a supralite!

SoupCanSham

I'm going to bump this thread and ask for (sigh) more advice.

I bought the Supralite and got a 5"x14" Acro (80s vintage) off of craigslist for $100. New batter head and snare wires and it sounds great.

But I've been down this road with guitars. I went from one snare to three really fast, and I spend most of my time hoping that the Acro would be deeper and the Supralite would ring less. Dampen, dampen, dampen.

I'm within my return period, so I'm contemplating unloading the Acro, returning the Supralite, and bringing home either the 6.5 Acro Limited or the 6.5 Supraphonic.

So again, here we are. Both the Acro Limited and the Supraphonic are B-Stock. I've gotten over that except the Acro just has a scratch where the s/n would be (fine with me) and the Supra has a clipped badge (peeling off and I'm afraid it will rattle). I don't really want to buy a $370 drum and epoxy it.

Hat-in-hand, I renew my request for input.

newoldie

Silver Member

I bought the Supralite and got a 5"x14" Acro (80s vintage) off of craigslist for $100. New batter head and snare wires and it sounds great.

But I've been down this road with guitars. I went from one snare to three really fast, and I spend most of my time hoping that the Acro would be deeper and the Supralite would ring less. Dampen, dampen, dampen.

I'm within my return period, so I'm contemplating unloading the Acro, returning the Supralite, and bringing home either the 6.5 Acro Limited or the 6.5 Supraphonic.

So again, here we are. Both the Acro Limited and the Supraphonic are B-Stock. I've gotten over that except the Acro just has a scratch where the s/n would be (fine with me) and the Supra has a clipped badge (peeling off and I'm afraid it will rattle). I don't really want to buy a $370 drum and epoxy it.

I was at the local GC today, and they finally had a Supralite in stock on a stand, along with a Supraphonic on a stand so I could play them both. I have to say that I liked the Supralite sound better, since it was more full bodied with tremendous projection, with the ring easily controlled by a plastic ring I lifted off a nearby Yamaha snare. As I played both, I tried to rationalize what was so special about the Supraphonic compared to the Supralite (having grown up playing drums in the peak time of the Acrolites and the SP in the late 60's and 70's), and yes, although the SP is warmer, it didn't project as well and sounded less "substantial", a quality of which I need for live gigging. For a more controlled sound in recording, I might concede to the SP, but the SL can be also be made warmer by different batter heads, as I switched mine from stock to a PS3, and have a moongel just in case, which thickened the sound even more. While this is purely a subjective liking, after playing both snares right next to each other in that room today, the only edge (for my needs) for the SP would be its historical context.

MatrixClaw

How are you tuning your drums?

TBH, it just sounds like you're inexperienced at tuning to me, or you have the wrong heads on it - yes, steel shells are ringy, but tuned correctly, with 1 or (maybe) 2 moongels, and it should be perfectly fine. In fact, my Supra is too ringy at most tunings without 2 on it.

Can't really help you with the Acrolite, though... it's a 5" shell, so it is what it is... but I've heard those snares sound super fat before, so it's not impossible. What heads do you have on these?

Ultimately, if the Supra is what you want, then get the Supra. I know I had to have mine, so I sold my favorite snare to get it :p

Go try the Pork Pie Big Black.

trust me
Not really the same sound, but a good snare, regardless.

I actually had a Black Beauty and sold it in favor of the Pork Pie... not really because it sounded better, but because it sounded close enough that the price difference didn't justify keeping the Ludwig. However, I sold my Pork Pie two weeks ago, as it just wasn't the sound for me - brass never really has been... totally different than aluminum IMO.

wildbill

Platinum Member
....Hat-in-hand, I renew my request for input.

I renew my input from post #21:

"The Supraphonic or Black Beauty, or both, are sort of the end goal of a lot of people who work their way through snares.
If you think you might be one of those people, get the Supra now."