New snare drum

johnwesley

Silver Member
FYI ......did some research before I bought and this drum from very late 50s to about 1962 was made by Kent when they didn't cut corners and used good maple and quality metal on their hardware. Unlike later years when the drums flet really light and flimsy, this one is as heavy as any Ludwig from the same time period. I lucked out and the WMP wrap is excellent with light yellowing which I like. Now to find a good Premier steel shelll....

roncadillac

Everything about it is awesome except one thing: that is some of the worst lug splay I've ever seen. Nice drum besides that though and if it doesn't give you and tuning troubles then don't worry about it.

tfgretsch

My parents bought me a Kent snare drum around 1964/65 ,orange sparkle,from TSS in Brooklyn NY.Man i was Living Hi , dont have the drum any more, still have the cheap brown flannel drum case with a Great Brass Zipper !! LOL

wildbill

Platinum Member
Everything about it is awesome except one thing: that is some of the worst lug splay I've ever seen. Nice drum besides that though and if it doesn't give you and tuning troubles then don't worry about it.
That's the first thing I noticed too.
The left lug in the first pic looks like it's at an extreme enough angle that it's cross-threaded. Probably just an optical thing though.

Snares can really be a gamble. Some cheaper ones can sound awesome, but it's fairly unusual.
Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it either, as two snares with the same properties can sound vastly different.
For inexpensive ones, you just have to try them out, and take your best guess on what you can do with it.