NEW Silver Dots!

OldReliable

Over on the Ludwig Neusonic thread, Bermuda shared that there will be new Ludwig Silver Dots, and they will be manufactured by Remo exclusively under the Ludwig name.

Silver Dot heads are returning in a bunch of sizes, including bass drum. They're still made by Remo, but the dots are Ludwig size, not Remo black dot size. They also have a modified Weather Master logo, and no Remo crown logo, so they look as "Ludwig" as possible until you look real close. :) Bermuda

I attached a screenshot from a Neusonic teaser video that shows them for a few seconds. I'll definitely be picking a set of these up for my Club Dates!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 2.24.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 2.24.16 AM.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 1,119
I doubt they will be the same though, because the old Ludwig film was much brighter than Remo's, and the actual dot material is probably different, too. I'm betting these will probably sound a lot like the regular black dot heads, but with the silver colored dot instead of black.

I doubt they will be the same though, because the old Ludwig film was much brighter than Remo's, and the actual dot material is probably different, too. I'm betting these will probably sound a lot like the regular black dot heads, but with the silver colored dot instead of black.

Maybe, but I have a feeling they'll sound different from black dots. The material they used for the dot seemed stiffer and/or thicker, plus the sizes of the dots were often different. I can't address the part about the film, but I think the dot itself had a lot to do with it, and if they stick to a similar formula I think it will be a nice alternative.

And, silver dots look way cooler on a Stainless Steel Octa-Plus set than the black dots do!;)

I'm happy to see the Silver Dots return, but unless they have crimped (not glued) collars I'm not sure if I'll bite.

Yes on the crimped collars! :)

Attachments

• __lud04.jpg
    __lud04.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 1,009
That’s amazing that they’re crimped instead of glued! Hopefully, that’ll give them more of a different sound compared to the Remo CS black dots. Do you know when they’ll be in stock at stores yet?

I don't know when they're officially out, but it's a safe bet they'll need to be ordered. Most Ludwig dealers don't have a good supply of Ludwig heads. :(

I don't know when they're officially out, but it's a safe bet they'll need to be ordered. Most Ludwig dealers don't have a good supply of Ludwig heads. :(

That’s unfortunate about the limited Ludwig head availability! I’ll definitely look into ordering a set of them, as they’re such a classic look and sound!

DCI snare drums haven't sounded good to my ear since the days when Silver Dots were pretty much standard. Well, Black Dots, too, but I preferred the silver dots in that application.

That’s unfortunate about the limited Ludwig head availability!

Ludwig heads have always been available, but dealers only have so much space for product, and with Evans and Remo's expanding lines, and Aquarian's foothold, there's no room left over for Ludwig. :( A dealer might have a few snare heads, but that's usually the extent of what they keep in stock. Perhaps the silver dots will change that?

Bermuda

well, how do they sound compared to the old ones? The same, or more like Remos?

I'm not that familiar with either head, an a/b test would be revealing.

Bermuda

I never liked the old 70s silver dots, and hope this release is better. But then I'm not interested in dot heads nowadays, so it doesn't matter to me.

The Ludwig heads were wrapped around a metal bar inside the hoop which was then crimped down. No glue was used. Remo fills the hoop channel with glue that holds the head in. The head film pulling away from the glue at the edge of the hoop creates that cracking sound when tuning new Remo heads.

Back