New Sabian Apollo 14" Hats

mike d

Silver Member
I just received a new set of hats. I really didn't need a new set. I have a set of 14" Sabian HHX Evos that I love, but I heard a set of the Apollos in the store and really liked them, so when Cascio had 20% off, I couldn't resist. Just got them today, but I really like them so far. They are a little darker and quieter than my Evos. The thing I like a lot though is the varying amount of buzz I can get depending on the amount and firmness of closure. They just seem a little more "adjustable".
Well, I'm going to play them some more before I declare them a winner, but so far, they seem really nice.
Mine weighed 808/1136, so quite a bit lighter bottom and a little lighter top than my Evos (10xx/15xx).
Back to the tubs...

mike d

Silver Member
I've spent some more time whacking these hats and the more time I spend, the more I like the sound. Very versatile and musical in a dark sort of way.
Has anyone else used them?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The sound bytes I’ve heard sound nice. Definitely less “polite” the the Evos. Should give you some nice contrast.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I own a set and love em. I have a Meinl ching ring kicking around and when I put that on it they are unbelievable. I highly suggest picking one up as they are pretty cheap and just add a bit of texture. I don't use it all the time but sometimes these hats a VERY dry and it's an easy item to take on and off.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I've spent some more time whacking these hats and the more time I spend, the more I like the sound. Very versatile and musical in a dark sort of way.
Has anyone else used them?
Too quiet for my tastes.
In fact I think the entire Apollo line lacks.
The Monarchs wern't a great line either.

mike d

Silver Member
Too quiet for my tastes.
In fact I think the entire Apollo line lacks.
The Monarchs wern't a great line either.
I've got a 24" Apollo ride too. :)
I really didn't dig it at first and I've got 3 other rides, one being an HHX Phoenix that I really like, but after a while I just started using the Apollo more and more, and now it's my main ride. Different strokes for different folks.