New Rogers Snare Drums.

• Thread starter paradiddle pete
  • Start date
P

paradiddle pete

Played one today , wondering what others think them? Should we be comparing them to the old ones or just see them as a new entity? Personally i think they compare to other drums rather than " real " Rogers.

I own 52 "real" Rogers snare drums. Twenty or so are wood drums.. Dyna-Sonic, Powertone, Tower, SuperTen. Even a Luxor, Banner, and Classmate.

I have purchased four of the new drums.
They are REAL ROGERS. Joe Thompson would have been proud.

Attachments

• DSCN4692 (2).jpg
    DSCN4692 (2).jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN5036x.jpg
    DSCN5036x.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 327
Hoping WhoIsTony weighs in on this one. He has become quite the Rogers historian.

Yeah , I'm a Rogers Snob. Don't really like them past 1970.. but a least i admit it. i really don't like gaskets all.

I've played a new 14"×5" and I loved it, that said there is something special with the old ones! Perhaps nostalgia, I couldn't say.

No it's not nostalgia, they have a particular sound. Probably why i didn't click with it.

Hoping WhoIsTony weighs in on this one. He has become quite the Rogers historian.

I don't own any of the new Rogers snare drums ... although I have played them and enjoy them

but Jack ...aka JohnPloughman as seen below ... is who I learn most of what I know from

when it comes to Rogers his word is gold

one of the most knowledgable Rogers minds on the planet

This is drum number 1036, First Generation, built in 1961, in the span of drums that would have been set up by Joe Thompson himself. Top and bottom hoops, throw, and frame are from 1967-68 time period. This drum was received with these later era parts...which were installed decades ago. The drum belonged to a studio drummer who passed away about seven years ago. Almost all of the lugs were cracked.

Restoration to date has been to replace the original lugs with the new issue Rogers Bread and Butter lugs...about a buck twenty. Another two bucks for a first gen frame and wires, and a third buck for a period correct throw. This is after all… a Twenty-five Hundred Dollar drum. When I land the hoops... stuff gets swapped.

Gaskets.

First....the argument against is just as silly as shaving with a dull knife because you don't like beards. Gaskets protect the finish. Every part on a drum leaves an imprint on the shell.... original BB lugs being that they are stamp formed on a press,,,are an imprecise lot with sharp edges, both from the tabs and the body of the lug. The effect on the shells pearl can be as minor as nothing more than an imprint...to the sole cause of split and cracks that eminate from irregular metal to pearl contact. With lacquer finishes,, spidering, flaking, chipping... will always be present at contact points simply from tightening...

I opted to use the gaskets... because the imprinting of the original lugs made me not wish to risk creating another deeply set lug imprint on one of the most absolutely fragile pearls Rogers ever made.

Second. On new drums with custom finishes, exotic woods, multi-step lacquer coating.... not using them would be idiotic and something more worthy of a $50.00 door buster giveaway drum that no one cares about.

So tat's it for gaskets.

Issues of this sort on a cast lug like the beavertail are not as critical... unless one is considering modern finishes.. then the same coniderations apply.

They exist for a reason.

Drum number 10599... 1967
Drum number 1036... 1961

Attachments

• IMG_3467 (3)x.jpg
    IMG_3467 (3)x.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCN4676a (2).jpg
    DSCN4676a (2).jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 306
What about the elephant in the room? The price?

$800 is steep.

The snare looks and sounds nice, but even if the components are 'new and improved', I don't see what makes this an $800 snare. The components are unique...but even if it's made in America, it couldn't possibly cost them more than $300 to make.

It seems like a Nostalgia Tax to me.

They're obviously not targeting a new audience with that price. It just seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Or maybe I'm just way off, and appealing to people who grew up playing Rogers drums (who now have lots of disposable income) is a brilliant idea.

I don't know about the pricing in the US but over here in northern Europe it's about the same as a new Supraphonic.

Forgive me but the Gasket thing may be all good to you but to me it's a nonsense. The wrap is a protective cover is it not? therefor why protect a protective. That is silly. I would go so far as to say the gaskets are there because modern wraps and finishes are not as strong as they used to be. And the main reason especially Rogers wraps to split and crack i would argue would be the weather..Secondly with new drums with "Exotic Custom Multi Step Laquers " and so forth cheapen it down with a plastic gasket. come on. really? I don't buy it. I have 3 Rogers Sets , there is no Wrap Issues because those that have owned them have looked after them. plain and simple.. Look Ma No Gaskets..

Attachments

• P1011682.JPG
    P1011682.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 275
There are an awful lot of snare drums out in the same price range, build quality, and similar sourcing of parts.

Price is too high...……… but, what have you bought in that price range?

In 1961 a Rogers Dyna-Sonic cost $150.00. Working drummers, or average guys who played music on the weekend...… did not just run down and buy one with their pocket change. It was a very expensive drum. Gas was about .30 a gallon. Most people did not even make $1.50 an hour.

This is after all… a Twenty-five Hundred Dollar drum.

WHAT?! $2,500?

I'm still trying to figure out why this drum is on the mountain top. Maybe it's the price. ;)

attachment.php

I looked through all the current Reverb ads for Rogers kits and snares. The only drums I saw with gaskets are the new $799 Rogers snares. I also looked through a few catalogues here like 1968 etc. No gaskets. http://www.drumarchive.com/Rogers/?COLLCC=3616356064&

Kinda like when Ludwig introduced a new Jazz Festival re-issue a few years ago and didn't do a re-ring. I think the newer Jazz Fest for 2019 now have a re-ring.

If you're gonna imitate then best to do it authentically.

From a potential buyer, I think the gasket thing is hog wash if you're going for authenticity.

Maybe the new gaskets eliminate lug splay? I dunno. I have a lot of new drums and a lot of them have gaskets. But gaskets billed as an authentic Rogers feature, well, I'm not sure.

And, If I had $800 to spend on a snare I'd probably go authentic. If I wanted an old wooden snare I'd probably avoid Rogers altogether for fear of breaking a B&B lug. I'd prefer Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch, or Premiere if I was going with an older vintage snare. But that's just me.

Last edited:
WHAT?! $2,500?

I'm still trying to figure out why this drum is on the mountain top. Maybe it's the price. ;)

attachment.php

This photo gives me a lil flashback..and maybe makes me a little silly feeling now that I'm reading this.

Here's the story: Picture it - Connecticut... 1985 - I traded my "flying V" shaped no name guitar and a cheezy peavy practice amp for what would become my 1st drumset, An olde 4 pc with some "silly olde tymey" wrap (similar to that shown in photo, but maybe more marbley looking?). The kid I traded with got it handed down from someone who got it from someone else..No Idea what model, but it did say Rogers. Like Mr. Rogers (there was no internet back then). ;)

I did not love the wrap, as it looked like something they woulda played in the 50's or 60's (to my 15 yr old eyes). It was not a "cool" nor flashy. Rikki Rockett would not play these..?.. or Tommy lee.. or Bobby Blotzer? no way.

I learned to play on them, and as soon as I could, I bought me an "awesome" set of Bright Yellow Pearl Exports (with REMO PINSTRIPES!!). The "Olde timey Mr. Rogers" set got stacked in the corner of Mike Calipietro's Mom's basement (where we practiced). When I moved on to "bigger and better" things, I never took Ole Mr. Rogers with me.

I can only assume that they were the "bottom of the line" rogers. (assuming they had entry level stuff way back then.) Regardless, I was too cool to give them a 2nd glance.

Who knows, maybe they woulda been worth something to somebody.

Good Times.

Sorry for the thread derail, that snare really took me back.

T.

Yamaha owns Rogers now, right? Did they specifically set up a shop in the US to make the drums or are they being built/assembled by an existing American drum maker?

I've never played any Rogers snare drum, but I've wanted to try a Dynasonic for a long time. I have no idea what they sound like outside of what I've seen on youtube and those weren't great recordings to judge by.

I looked through all the current Reverb ads for Rogers kits and snares. The only drums I saw with gaskets are the new $799 Rogers snares. I also looked through a few catalogues here like 1968 etc. No gaskets. http://www.drumarchive.com/Rogers/?COLLCC=3616356064&

Kinda like when Ludwig introduced a new Jazz Festival re-issue a few years ago and didn't do a re-ring. I think the newer Jazz Fest for 2019 now have a re-ring.

If you're gonna imitate then best to do it authentically.

From a potential buyer, I think the gasket thing is hog wash if you're going for authenticity.

Maybe the new gaskets eliminate lug splay? I dunno. I have a lot of new drums and a lot of them have gaskets. But gaskets billed as an authentic Rogers feature, well, I'm not sure.

And, If I had $800 to spend on a snare I'd probably go authentic. If I wanted an old wooden snare I'd probably avoid Rogers altogether for fear of breaking a B&B lug. I'd prefer Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch, or Premiere if I was going with an older vintage snare. But that's just me.

Look in the 1983 catalog.
No one said the gaskets were an historical feature,.....only that Rogers was one of the first to use them.

Back