New Rogers...really?

I assure you, some of us very much do. Especially houses and cars.

I think what he meant was that when we need a particular item there are things we will go to Walmart for and at other times there are things we will go to the ends of the earth for.

One of the lessons in business that I learned early on is that you never let anything get between your product and quality - and sometimes quality comes from places that you least and by the same token quality failures can come from sources that are trusted.

Actually what I mean is when we buy a house, if we really like the house, we aren't going to turn it down for contractor grade light switches, ceiling lights, disposals etc. We like the house, the price is right, the schools are good, but most of the fixtures are made in China and no one knows the difference or is going to cancel a contract for knowing. So if the drums look good, sound good and the price is right, do we care if the maple is American or Canadian. I think not.

What I mean is that in general terms those who snivel about COO are "idealistic" at best, hypocritical trolls at worst. Most of those arguments are empty and baseless and formed on little more than ignorance.

The coward only threatens when he is safe.

Well sir this ignorant cowardly snivelling idealistic hypocritical troll has 10 kits all American and that's what i like.. but hey i'm just a drummer.. d'you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Wow, one less-than-hero-worshipping comment and members are snydely dismissed. How true to form. Pity you don't come around here more often...

That's good news, I've been looking for a Dyna-Sonic snare wire tension screw thing and the only ones I could find are about $50 with shipping.

Hi Ron, I had a nice SS drum of yours for a while.

Hi Bermuda, I picked up a Taye Metalworks Vintage Brass drum after seeing your recommendation here and like it a lot!

It's my only current non american drum.

I think Rogers is in very good hands with Steve being in charge of the product. He knows it in and out and is just a great guy that operates in integrity. If the product is right, the product is right no matter where it's made. Most of the response to the new dynasonic has been very positive. I think it's great.

I wonder if the stigma of "overseas" components...the stigma being that somehow they are "less than"...I wonder if that is a stimulant for these workers to prove the world wrong. That's how I would feel if someone was dissing my quality of work.

People are people no matter where they live. I believe that the "workers" of the world are truly the salt of the earth...basically speaking good moral people. It's the controlling class that are morally in deep debt.
In my experience, the minority working class individual have much more moral fiber than any lawyer, judge, or person in power. They are simply just better people in their heart. JMO.

My point is you probably get a better crafted instrument made "overseas" than a lot of people are willing to admit. Americans don't offer any better quality of labor than the rest of the world. How arrogant is that attitude? Americans need to drop the superior attitude concerning the rest of the world. It's an embarrassment. I believe the good people of the world are morally similar, and care about what they put out there, no matter where they live.

Good point there, well said. As a Canadian, I sit and watch as the world turns around like all of us, but I still question why so many American drum makers threw in the towel, and left it up to the overseas operations to dominate what once was in the hands of America.
Rogers was especially upsetting because they were viewed as "the best". How could they not afford to continue making great drums, after all the market is not that big and all the pros used their gear?
Was it because someone woke up the sleeping giant in Japan, and the rest is history?

Good point there, well said. As a Canadian, I sit and watch as the world turns around like all of us, but I still question why so many American drum makers threw in the towel, and left it up to the overseas operations to dominate what once was in the hands of America.
Rogers was especially upsetting because they were viewed as "the best". How could they not afford to continue making great drums, after all the market is not that big and all the pros used their gear?
Was it because someone woke up the sleeping giant in Japan, and the rest is history?

The reason was greed. People want minimum wage now to be !5.00 per hour for flipping burgers because all of a sudden every job must pay a living wage. When you can get some one in Asia to make a product 30.00 per month why pay an American 15.00 per hour. CEO's are making million dollar bonuses. A CEO here in Tampa for a utility company signed a contract with a 10,000,000 buy out. He was here less than 9 months and left Florida with 10,000,000. Seems pretty simple to me. Walmart was founded with the idea that they would sell products that were all made in the USA. Go find one now. Pet food, beef, fertilizer, you name it. Of course part of this is the share holders demanding the most for their invested dollars. Just one big vicious greedy circle.

Part of this is the evolution of corporations. Many of these so-called 'esteemed' drum companies were under some other umbrella, and/or were corporate buyouts, a lot of it happened in the 80's. It wasn't that they threw in the towels, parent companies bought/sold them off.

Japan caught on quick to make quality items, in many sectors, cars for example. For sure other nations brands fell behind, you could say mostly because they remained complacent, or were driven by shareholders to produce less quality for same or more dollars (ala grunters comment).

It's a world economy, you can either lament that or behold it, and make choices. Personally for drums and many other items, its a great thing. I have no issue that my Sonor drums (an 'esteemed' German name in history of drums) are made affordable to me by producing them to Sonor's standards in China. On the other hand, buying cheap T-shirts being made in sweat shops overseas, nope, I cannot behold that.

Nobody is dissing the workers of the world, but my choice is my choice. Co-operate globals can justify their business models all they want, it should come down to what the customer wants not the Co-operate telling or spinning us what we need. Quality costs it's as simple as that. Technology is remarkable at making lesser substance seem superior, don't be fooled. LipStick on a Pig. If the Taiwanese or Chinese product is that good and i'm not suggesting that they aren't then name them a Taiwanese brand name or Chinese brand name.If the builders believe in the product that much then take the leap of Faith and name the products as such. Not hiding like a Coward behind a Western Brand Name. Sonor is not a Chinese name..

I hear you but my point is there is no need to be nationalistic about it unless you want to be. nobody is arguing Sonor is Chinese ....or that Samsung is German. Whats your point there?
And Technology? If one didn't embrace it we'd still be in the Iron Age.

I hear you but my point is there is no need to be nationalistic about it unless you want to be. nobody is arguing Sonor is Chinese ....or that Samsung is German. Whats your point there?
And Technology? If one didn't embrace it we'd still be in the Iron Age.

The points were:

Those that choose to buy from local sources are often fooled into buying from foreign sources.

Taking money out of one pocket and putting it in your other pocket is always cheaper than putting money into someone else pocket. i.e.: GE offices and factories should be illuminated with GE light bulbs even though Sylvania bulbs are cheaper.

The uniqueness of hand-made items is often a desirable attribute, especially in artistic (a)vocations where consumers are looking to distinguish themselves from others.

Gents, we all need to stop pretending like we don't understand the other side's arguments just because we want to pretend we're of greater virtue or smarter than everyone else.

Now pardon me while I go play on my absolutely glorious Canadian / Taiwanese / Chinese / USA made George Way kit.

Quote:
"Nobody is dissing the workers of the world, but my choice is my choice"

I think it is very important to realize that we do have a choice. Choices, variety allow us all to play something other than a white marine pearl drum set made by Slingerland. We just have to be aware as to why or what makes those choices available. And that reason is money.

Quote:
"Nobody is dissing the workers of the world, but my choice is my choice"

I think it is very important to realize that we do have a choice.
We all have choices, yes. Quality materials, build, sound, feel, look, combined with high quality service, responsive - dependable, and an unwavering industry reputation will open my wallet for needs or wants every time...getting what I pay for - very few surprises.

I think Rogers is in very good hands with Steve being in charge of the product. He knows it in and out and is just a great guy that operates in integrity. If the product is right, the product is right no matter where it's made. Most of the response to the new dynasonic has been very positive. I think it's great.

Yeah, and great deals on all those "SPIZZ" cymbals he doesn't carry.

I wonder if the stigma of "overseas" components...the stigma being that somehow they are "less than"...I wonder if that is a stimulant for these workers to prove the world wrong. That's how I would feel if someone was dissing my quality of work.

People are people no matter where they live. I believe that the "workers" of the world are truly the salt of the earth...basically speaking good moral people. It's the controlling class that are morally in deep debt.
In my experience, the minority working class individual have much more moral fiber than any lawyer, judge, or person in power. They are simply just better people in their heart. JMO.

My point is you probably get a better crafted instrument made "overseas" than a lot of people are willing to admit. Americans don't offer any better quality of labor than the rest of the world. How arrogant is that attitude? Americans need to drop the superior attitude concerning the rest of the world. It's an embarrassment. I believe the good people of the world are morally similar, and care about what they put out there, no matter where they live.

Amen.

And until someone has actually been there and seen with their own eyes, they are in no position to provide any qualified comment.

Well sir this ignorant cowardly snivelling idealistic hypocritical troll has 10 kits all American and that's what i like.. but hey i'm just a drummer.. d'you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

I am far from judging anyone and I'm not singling anyone out. but I must ask - show me one of those kits. I'll be happy to point out the imported components on it for you. I would say that you can only afford 10 kits because they have these components.

Back