New Ride Cymbal

Merlin5

Gold Member
I was going for second hand on ebay but decided I wanted newer and shinier and was happy to pay a little more. I contacted a drum shop who kindly broke up a cymbal pack for me to grab the ride and priced it as ex display even though it's brand spanking new and I'm the first person to put a stick on it. I'll get to gig it tonight. Sounds great though and weighs 2104g. These rides seem to range from 2040 to 2300g and I think the bell sounds nicer and more 'airy' on the lighter ones. :)

20230817_162828.jpg

20230817_163250.jpg

Yours is so shiny. I forgot what they looked liked new.
IMG_2383.jpeg
Mine, just under 2200g, has been a mainstay on almost every gig for near 20 years. He’s in the top right corner with all his grandads( Turk Ks).

Last edited:
View attachment 137771
Mine, just under 2200g, has been a mainstay on almost every gig for near 20 years. He’s in the top right corner with all his grandads( Turk Ks).

Nice. At first I thought that ride to the right of the tom might have been a Signature Agop as it looks similar to an Agop I have. I bet the Turk Ks sound sweet.

Beautiful! I had one of those a while ago - it did ALL of the work back then!

Hah yeah, I can see why Bo, it's just got that sound that seems like it's going to work for most styles. I can't wait to play it!

Didn’t think I’d like a cymbal that had “dark” in the name, but my friend Lou has a set of them and they’re terrific. They don’t sound all that dark to me, although the 16 crash has a tendency to disappear a little quicker than my Sabian AA 16. The ride is a 20 I believe and it’s the standout as far as I’m concerned.

Hey...what the heck are all those little 🐔 chicken pecks all over it. Is that normal?..did you notice those?. Don't send it back if it sounds good though. Weird.

Good choice.
I love mine, but I guess it's a little on the porky side at 2255 grams.

Actually, playing mine last night, it sounds the same as the ones over 2200g that I heard demoed at memphis drum shop on youtube so I'm probably imagining that the lighter ones sound different.

Hey...what the heck are all those little 🐔 chicken pecks all over it. Is that normal?..did you notice those?. Don't send it back if it sounds good though. Weird.

Yeah, they look like morse code to me. :D Those little lines are on all of the dark rides, in fact I think they're on most of the K custom range.

How did it fare at the gig?

Sounded really good. Washier and less pingy than I expected to be honest. Which is a bit silly for me to say considering I heard enough demos before buying, lol.

I can't say I'm in love with it yet and I've got another gig tomorrow to try it again. But you know, I wasn't overly keen on my new brass recording custom a few weeks and now it's my favourite snare drum! So, I'll see, but yeah so far, very nice. Was horrible seeing the first stick marks appear but they seem to be mostly rubbing off.

20230817_210446.jpg

Last edited:
Great score! I picked up a 20" K. Custom Dark Ride on clearance at GC after I traded in some stuff. I really like mine. It's on the lighter side but is still really versatile.

Ha - I forgot I have two 20" KCD's. o_O
The first one I got used quite a while ago, and the second one was included in a KCD cymbal pack I got several years ago.
The one in the pack has been stored. I dug it out and weighed it, and it's an even 2300 g.

I also have a 22 KCD that's had a permanent spot on one of my sets for about a year.
That one is 2562 g.
Yes......... I like the KCD's. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 137771
Maybe I'm weird, but I actually prefer the "old K" look to a cymbal, like the ones you have there.

New cymbals are nice too, but there's something so classy about a dusty aged look.

Back