New ride cymbal advice needed

BeardedDrummer

I'm looking to get a new ride for my setup. I'm looking for a ride that has a good "tah" sound, as well as a wash that's not too abrasive, and I definitely want a defined bell sound.

I haven't been able to find anything in the local drum shops that I liked. I've have had several people recommend the Sabian Omni ride, but I honestly wasn't a fan of it.
I've heard some recordings online of the Meinl 20" Benny Greb Sand Ride, and so far I've really liked the sound of that
I also stumbled across the Hammerax 21" Ultraviolet Low Ride which I think (from the video at least) I'm a big fan of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYuY_iLXjuI
Does anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions? I'm torn because I don't want to buy a cymbal I haven't been able to hit personally, but nobody seems to carry anything remotely close to my interest locally.

I've heard good things about the meinl sandrides. Personally I like the Twenty rides check them out on paiste's site. The 20" has a distinct bell great body sound and just enough wash

Here are a few I suggest looking at..
-20-22" Sabian Vault Artisan Medium
-20" Paiste Sig Dry or Dry Crisp Ride or Melloe Ride
-20" HHX Evo
-20" HH Classic Ride
-20" HH Medium Ride

Here are a few I suggest looking at..
-20-22" Sabian Vault Artisan Medium
-20" Paiste Sig Dry or Dry Crisp Ride or Melloe Ride
-20" HHX Evo
-20" HH Classic Ride
-20" HH Medium Ride

I have a Sabian 20" hand hammered medium ride if the OP or anyone else is interested.

I'm looking to get a new ride for my setup. I'm looking for a ride that has a good "tah" sound, as well as a wash that's not too abrasive, and I definitely want a defined bell sound.

I haven't been able to find anything in the local drum shops that I liked. I've have had several people recommend the Sabian Omni ride, but I honestly wasn't a fan of it.
I've heard some recordings online of the Meinl 20" Benny Greb Sand Ride, and so far I've really liked the sound of that
I also stumbled across the Hammerax 21" Ultraviolet Low Ride which I think (from the video at least) I'm a big fan of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYuY_iLXjuI
Does anyone have any other thoughts/suggestions? I'm torn because I don't want to buy a cymbal I haven't been able to hit personally, but nobody seems to carry anything remotely close to my interest locally.

It sounds like you might like the K Constantinople Bounce Ride.

sabian groove ride
zildjian hybrid custom

i have no idea if they fulfill your criteria though. go & youtube some of the memphis product videos for an idea :)

Can't go wrong with the classic Zildjian K Ride. Just picked one up and it's a beauty, can;t wait to hear it recorded.
The only problem I had was the sustain was just a bit much, but a small strip of tape solved that problem! Beautiful ping, that sounds bright at first but with lots of low overtones. Great for jazz, rock, funk, you name it. Awesome low pitched bell and a monster crash!

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone for the recommendations. I'm going to make a loop through all the music stores in town and see how many of the suggestions I can hit. I'll let you know what I manage to find.

Back