New Reflexx Pad

Were you describing the Xymos above, or the Reflexx (which has 2 sides, not sure which one is softer).

First paragraph Reflexx, second paragraph Xymox.

I'm looking for another pad to use in rotation with my Aquarian Superpad (love it and it works quite well for on top of snare and general practicing), but wanted a little less rebound.

Easily the Xymox. Too many techniques. e.g. doubles, you can't do on something with as little bounce as the Reflexx. You can do them, but not in a realistic way. The Xymox will hurt you, but only if you grip too tight. If you had just the upper film on a mouse pad, no rubber, you're close, I guess.

just to clarify, which specific model is the Xymox,

14" Reserve Snare

Anyone played on the Drumeo pad?

Kinda pricey but I think I like it.

I think!

If the concept, multiple pads, helps you then it's fine. It's a travel pad for me sometimes. Nothing special surfacewise, though. It's rubber and at this point I really can't stand rubber.

Anyone played on the Drumeo pad?

Kinda pricey but I think I like it.

I think!

I've spent some time with this pad and cannot say that I'm a fan. The surfaces really don't provide what I'm looking for in a practice pad. The Reflexx pad is my go-to practice pad because of what the surfaces offer for rebound at various velocities. I've yet to find another pad (and I've play a ton of practice pads) that offers what the Reflexx does.

Thanks for the advice... I was thinking it was kinda gimicky.

I've spent some time with this pad and cannot say that I'm a fan. The surfaces really don't provide what I'm looking for in a practice pad. The Reflexx pad is my go-to practice pad because of what the surfaces offer for rebound at various velocities. I've yet to find another pad (and I've play a ton of practice pads) that offers what the Reflexx does.

Ben- Can you elaborate some more re "the surfaces...at various velocities"? I'm still unclear about exactly what the 2 sides each offer, and how velocities affect the practicing experience. Still considering the pad-thx

My guess is that one side isn't as bouncy - designed to make you work more.

Ben- Can you elaborate some more re "the surfaces...at various velocities"? I'm still unclear about exactly what the 2 sides each offer, and how velocities affect the practicing experience. Still considering the pad-thx

The compression set of the material has a pretty big impact on the performance. Their site goes into the details of the material: https://www.reflexx.co/pages/features

I was looking for a new smaller pad as I don't like either of the surfaces of the (small) ProMark real feel type thing that I have. Then this thread showed up so I figured I would look to see what is out there. So I look at all that I can find - reading about them and listening to youtube videos.

It seems that most of the new style pads are aimed at marching kevlar head users, which is not me. Meanwhile I am just not seeing anything that is all that impressive, other than having rims, which doesn't really come into play for the small size pads. It would be nice to have something with rims in a full sized pad.

I have a full size Vic Firth with the split surfaces (grey and black) that I do like so I am going with the 6" double sided Vic Firth for less than $25 and I am happy.

Some things may be pronoted as and it sems that there's a a market for the modern rudimental guys.

I dunno. My reason for pad choice is that it doesn't invite the dreaded pad hand syndrome and it actually helps me get better. It's probably the one material thing I have that sees the most use, so I don't mind searching or spending a bit on it. The the holy grail is found then duplicates in areas one might find oneself in the house, the car and at work is a good idea, I think.

On my drum set I guess is usually tuned medium to medium high. I havo one at work that I practice on that I tune pretty low just for variation.

The thing with the Xymox to me is that I can do anything on it and it naturally forces me to be just a little bit more in control of time and flow. I play a lot of etudes on it, but when I pay through things like the Wilcoxon stuff it's not really about building speed. I work all sorts of things and those difficult inbetween tempos as I know this is in my case somehing to help my improvised kit playing.

The soft surface in the Reflexx has, as mentioned, limited value.

The question is; When do you need a surface that's that forgiving?

Since this post came up it's proven itself useful for me when developing my left hand matched grip. I want to put miles on those motions before I can perfect them without excerting myself. In that case I guess it would be good for some sort of rehabilitation or someone who wants to practice more, but have hurt their hands. It's not far from the "floor tom" pad on the P4 so it's that quiet. For some people, I guess that's more important than anything.

Back