New Reflexx Pad

R2112

Silver Member
I started hearing drummers talk and rave about this pad a few months ago. I recently checked out their website and was very intrigued and impressed. I've never been totally satisfied with any practice pad I've ever owned...and I've owned many. Most pads just felt the same to me and so I never gave them much thought. These Reflexx guys have put some serious thought, care and dedication into their product. Their pads just became available and so I thought I'd give them a try. I received my CP1 pad last week and all I can say is, wow! I have 3 other practice pads that I now will never be using again. This Reflexx pad is so comfortable to use...and so quiet. It has a total different feel to any other pad I've tried. Practicing actually feels good now :)

Anyways, I just wanted to I give the Reflexx guys big props. I am in no way affiliated with them but I think any drummer would benefit from their product. Here's their site if anyone is interested...

https://www.reflexx.co

Guy Licata

Hey R2112,

Guy here, I'm the Founder/CEO of REFLEXX and designer of the CP1.

First off, I just wanted to thank you for giving us a shot! While practice pads have been around for about a century now (the early patents are fascinating!) I was really initially just scratching my own itch. After the early iterations caught on within my circle of friends and the feedback was positive, it was a long road to larger scale production but I've been overwhelmed with the positive feedback we've been getting and again can't thank you enough for yours here!

As it seems like you gleaned from our site, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak, but more address a bigger picture aspect of drumming which relates to anatomy and mobility, and the related efficiency within these spheres.

In our research we found that taking a more reductionist route, and reverse engineering what's going on in our hands when we play led to some great discoveries. Two and a half years, a whole lot of sweat and sleepless nights later we're proud to get the CP1 under your hands!

I'm happy to answer any and all questions, or concerns you may have here, of course you can also reach me at guy@reflexx.co

Thanks again for your support, and here's to the future!

Mikedrums78

I also ordered one of these and will be getting to play it in a few days when I go back home. R2112, glad to hear you dig it! I've only been hearing positive things so far :) looking forward to jamming on mine!

R2112

Silver Member
Hey R2112,

Guy here, I'm the Founder/CEO of REFLEXX and designer of the CP1.

First off, I just wanted to thank you for giving us a shot! While practice pads have been around for about a century now (the early patents are fascinating!) I was really initially just scratching my own itch. After the early iterations caught on within my circle of friends and the feedback was positive, it was a long road to larger scale production but I've been overwhelmed with the positive feedback we've been getting and again can't thank you enough for yours here!

As it seems like you gleaned from our site, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak, but more address a bigger picture aspect of drumming which relates to anatomy and mobility, and the related efficiency within these spheres.

In our research we found that taking a more reductionist route, and reverse engineering what's going on in our hands when we play led to some great discoveries. Two and a half years, a whole lot of sweat and sleepless nights later we're proud to get the CP1 under your hands!

I'm happy to answer any and all questions, or concerns you may have here, of course you can also reach me at guy@reflexx.co

Thanks again for your support, and here's to the future!
Hey Guy! It's absolutely my pleasure. I've already showed my CP1 pad to a couple of my drummer friends and they also were very impressed. Thank you for all your effort in making such a fantastic product. I wish you and your company much success!

S

savage8190

What exactly are the benefits vs a conventional 2 sided pad?

newoldie

Silver Member
I visited your site and had a few basic questions:

Do you have any videos (either on your site or linked to YouTube) to check the pad out in more detail?

If the pad is placed on top of the snare (as shown in several of your photos) does it effectively pick up any of the snare sound so using it this way provides a different sound than on a snare stand or table?

Do you/will you have other sizes besides the 10" pad such as a 12 or 14" pad?

Guy Licata

I visited your site and had a few basic questions:

Do you have any videos (either on your site or linked to YouTube) to check the pad out in more detail?

If the pad is placed on top of the snare (as shown in several of your photos) does it effectively pick up any of the snare sound so using it this way provides a different sound than on a snare stand or table?

Do you/will you have other sizes besides the 10" pad such as a 12 or 14" pad?
Great questions!

So, we're currently working on some more long form video content that we'll be releasing asap. We'd like to use as many of our artists as possible, and their busy schedules make things a bit tougher! That said in the meantime you can check out our Instagram page, we've got a few dozen clips on there. https://www.instagram.com/_reflexx_/

In regards to placing it on a snare, that really depends on the type of snare (diameter/depth), head and snare tension etc. however with a little experimenting we've been able to effectively get a sympathetic snare sound out pretty much every drum we've placed it on.

At this time we're focused on the 10" model as our artist research found this to be the best combination of size of playing surface, as well as portability. We have an EXTENSIVE product roadmap, and while we can't share details, sizes variants are definitely something we're looking at.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

-Guy

Guy Licata

Guy - when will the next run be available?
Hey Andrew!

So, we're in the midst of pre-production for our next run right now. We've received some incredible feedback on this initial run, but there are some minor tweaks we want to make for the next one to make it even better!

We're going to do a pre-order for round two, and will be announcing via our email lists and social media accounts. If you drop your email at the bottom of our homepage you'll get all updates as soon as they're out.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

-Guy

G

Ghostnote

Sign me up. I want one when the next run is available. My Real Feel has too much bounce I want something that feels more like real drums that aren't tensioned that high.

Guy Licata

Anyone compared the Reflexx to the E-Pad http://www.epadco.com/

I have an E-pad and really like it, feels kind of in-between moongel and a real-feel pads, or like a low tension floor tom.
Hey Michael,

So, What Ed Eblen did, and continues to do with Epad is incredible and we have the utmost respect for him and his product. That said, I've had an Epad, Moongel pad and pretty much every type of gum rubber, silicone, mylar variant over my 28 years of playing.

While the closed cell side of the Reflexx pad may seem similar to the Epad's Enduraflex surface from afar, our overall hardness, density, compression set and thickness is very different. The Open Cell side is even more unique, and these two surfaces were designed to both complement and supplement each other.

Of course feel free to hit me up here or at guy@reflexx.co for any other info! Thanks!

michaelg

Hey Michael,

So, What Ed Eblen did, and continues to do with Epad is incredible and we have the utmost respect for him and his product. That said, I've had an Epad, Moongel pad and pretty much every type of gum rubber, silicone, mylar variant over my 28 years of playing.

While the closed cell side of the Reflexx pad may seem similar to the Epad's Enduraflex surface from afar, our overall hardness, density, compression set and thickness is very different. The Open Cell side is even more unique, and these two surfaces were designed to both complement and supplement each other.

Of course feel free to hit me up here or at guy@reflexx.co for any other info! Thanks!

Thanks for that Guy,
How does the Reflexx compare to the Aquarian super-pad ?
I may have to put a Reflexx on my christmas shopping list , apologies for mentioning christmas in October :)

Guy Licata

Thanks for that Guy,
How does the Reflexx compare to the Aquarian super-pad ?
I may have to put a Reflexx on my christmas shopping list , apologies for mentioning christmas in October :)
Haha no worries, luckily I feel like Santa most of the time over here!

So, while I believe that the Superpad is an incredible product and has a different feel from a lot of the other gum, silicone and mylar pads out there it's still very apples to oranges next to the CP1.

Again, this isn't disparaging or discrediting the Superpad's utility or efficacy whatsoever, we just have a completely different approach via hardness, density, thickness and compression set.

While it's hard to get complete picture of our functionality through video, here's one clip that shows some of the overarching qualities of the surfaces via rebound. Obviously, this does not account for feel but you might be able to get more of an idea by checking out more videos on the Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BL_c1uWhvyM/?taken-by=_reflexx_

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other needs or questions!

-Guy

newoldie

Silver Member
Anyone purchase the Reflexx Pad since the last post below in 10/16, and have a review to share?

I'm still considering but wanted some current reviews if you've had it for a while- thx

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I got one.

It's quiet. It's closer to a moongel pad than a regular rubber pad in terms of bounce. Less lightly to invite "pad hands" than a regular rubber pad. It's for "pillow practice", for which it is beter than a regular pillow.

It's not my main pad. The Xymox I aquired around the same time is. Multiple reasons for that. It has a drumhead feel. Very articulate, but not even close to as loud as i feared it might be. It is very unforgiving and if you can do it cleanly, controlled and comfortably on this you can do it pretty much on any surface. You just have to work just a little bit harder than on a regular drum and if you should grip too tight you get hurt so you can't fool yourself. Going to a regular snare is effortless and it's generally easier to play than this.

newoldie

Silver Member
I got one.

It's quiet. It's closer to a moongel pad than a regular rubber pad in terms of bounce. Less lightly to invite "pad hands" than a regular rubber pad. It's for "pillow practice", for which it is beter than a regular pillow.

It's not my main pad. The Xymox I aquired around the same time is. Multiple reasons for that. It has a drumhead feel. Very articulate, but not even close to as loud as i feared it might be. It is very unforgiving and if you can do it cleanly, controlled and comfortably on this you can do it pretty much on any surface. You just have to work just a little bit harder than on a regular drum and if you should grip too tight you get hurt so you can't fool yourself. Going to a regular snare is effortless and it's generally easier to play than this.
Thanks OA for those details- just to clarify, which specific model is the Xymox, their web site products description is confusing.
Were you describing the Xymos above, or the Reflexx (which has 2 sides, not sure which one is softer).
I'm looking for another pad to use in rotation with my Aquarian Superpad (love it and it works quite well for on top of snare and general practicing), but wanted a little less rebound. I also find pillows can hurt my hands and use caution when working on the less than natural rebound surfaces, so I was hoping the Reflexx might be inbetween moongel surface and a regular rubber pad. Which would you suggest for my purpose- Xymox (model ?) or a Reflexx- thx