New rack idea

iCe

Hi all,

I have a Pearl DR-80 rack and i'm starting to notice the limitations of that rack. Mainly that the rack bars just have a set height and can't be lowered.
I'm thinking of getting a new rack and start to explore the options. Really interested in the rack in the pics below, because that way you don't have a clumsy leg in the center.

Now the Pearl rack is appealing, but the i find it a tad too expensive. Need to get the standard curved rack and a couple of clamps.
But i wonder if there are alternatives or suggestions?
Looking at Gibraltar as well, but afraid that i need to make a rack from scratch and order all the bars and clamps etc. myself.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I've been very happy with my newer Pearl Icon rack, and the square bars prevent slipping, a common issue on round bar racks, esp. with large toms, and cymbals on longish booms (such as a China.) Sure, with round-bar racks you can add a memory lock to help secure the clamp, but now you're spending extra money and possibly compromising your ability to put clamps next to each other, which is necessary and handy even on my modest set-up:

rack_clamps.jpg

It's not inexpensive, but it will last a lifetime. I had a DR-80 (90?) rack that took a lot of abuse on the road for 22 years, and I only replaced it because it was looking worn, and new clamps weren't the same color as my original ones. It was looking very piecemeal, and I owed it to myself - and the artist - to have a cleaner look on stage.

Bermuda

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You can make the DR-80 into just cross bars if you want. If you take the legs/hinge assembly off, and use clamps at the ends on stands, you now have a mini ICON rack.

I've thought about doing this exact thing, going from the kick drum tom mount to the hi hat stand. Just the bar, legs not needed.

As Bermuda said above, square clamps dont move. At all.

Reactions: iCe

harryconway

Platinum Member
Gibraltar is sorta the king when it comes to round rack tube "custom" rigs. Measure out what you need (then measure again), and go from there. If you're going a long front bar with no center support, however ..... I think Gibraltar's longest curved tube is 49". Straight tube, is 59" and 68".

Reactions: iCe

iCe

You can make the DR-80 into just cross bars if you want. If you take the legs/hinge assembly off, and use clamps at the ends on stands, you now have a mini ICON rack.

I've thought about doing this exact thing, going from the kick drum tom mount to the hi hat stand. Just the bar, legs not needed.

As Bermuda said above, square clamps dont move. At all.
I didn't even came to mind that i could use stands and clamps that way. Opens a whole new way of thinking! Great suggestion!

iCe

Ok, small update. I tried the PC-8 clamp on one of the many stands i have and they do fit (on the middle section)!
So i think i'm going ahead with the idea of mounting a rackbar from two stands with boom arms.
Still have two lying around, so i'm going to order two Pearl BC-830 stands and then i can mount the rackbars to the sides.
I'm going back to 2 toms in the center (instead of 3 so i can bring the ride in more closely) and will mount those on a stand as well. Also cleans up the look from the front of my kit that way. Going to leave out the 8" tom, but i will add the 6x21 rocket tom to have the same amount of notes available.
Still have a couple of Pearl ADP-30 clamps lying around to mount them on. Then use another ADP-30 clamps or maybe two ADP-20 clamps of the tom arms to mount the splash and stack.

Last edited:

iCe

Well today is rehearsal again after a month or so, so finally have the chance to sit behind my kit again. I think I'm going forward with the idea of ditching the x-hat and 8" splash for today and be mindfull of my setup if i really need to change it.

Really like the idea of using stands again so it cleans up the look of the kit. I think i even only need one rack bar! The left side is the most cluttered with the rocket toms (3 now, maybe 4 when i get the other one) and i need to mount the tambourine on it as well. Just using 2 stands for that is too much stuff on each stand and limits the possibilities. So mounting the bar between 2 stands is the way to go.

Will use a tom stand between the two bass drums to mount the 10 and 12" toms. Might get the Gibraltar 9613PM 3-Mount Tom Stand for that. Still want to mount a splash and a stack from that stand, but haven't decided how i want to do that. Maybe also get a 6" Paiste Accent again (never should have sold that, craving for it ever since), mount that from the Gibraltar stand from the free clamp, use a Pearl ADP-30 adapter on the tube from the Accent boom arm and the mount the stack and splash from that.

Over on the right i just need two stands: boom stand for the ride which i can also use a clamp and boom arm to mount the 19" crash. Use a boomstand or regular stand to mount the 20" china and also a clamp + small boom arm to mount the stack. No need for a bulky rack bar there either. So much ideas, so much pondering haha

EDIT: just had a revelation when i got my 2nd coffee for the day haha. I don't need to order the 6x21 rocket tom... i'm going to move the 8" tom to the left side as well, but mount it low (almost like a timbale). That way it still have that sound source, but it's out of the way and it's also easier to use with fills that include the rocket toms.

Don't mind my ramblings here, it just helps me move things along when i post it here :p
And i get good suggestions as well from here ;)

----

EDIT: well i've decided after playing last friday i'm going to keep this setup and try to position the rocket toms via other clamps etc.
Thought about scaling down, but with a couple of new songs i actually need the splash and x-hat. Could play without them, but knowing myself i would get annoyed after a while because i miss that sound source hehe

Last edited: