New "quiet" drum kit !

jimzo

After some hard thought and a little help from several DW members I think that I may have made a very good decision :-D
Contemplated financing e-Drums and with similar funding this was more of a sound choice and conducive to my needs.
It is soo great that I can have a full acoustic kit to practice on that pretty much mirrors the other kit at the studio.
Everyone is happy at the homestead without any law enforcement at the front door. Just got to get it out of the middle of the Living room, ha!

wildbill

Platinum Member
You've got the quiet Zildjian cymbals, but what heads did you use to quiet down the drums?

jimzo

↑
You've got the quiet Zildjian cymbals, but what heads did you use to quiet down the drums?
Yes, as Mr. P has posted.
I have done the research and discovered that Remo does not manufacture 26" heads as they only offer up to 24", but found that Pintech Reaction is very similar in design and am having good results.

....hey!? I'm missing the Zildjian L80 China ! :-O

beatdat

Good stuff! In my opinion, much better than an e-kit, particularly in terms of feel (especially the low volume cymbals) and the general spacing of the drums and cymbals. I pretty much had the same setup at home until I moved everything to our rehearsal space.

Have you considered adding pick-ups to the drums and cymbals?

I notice the low volume splash - what size is it?

And do they make a low volume china?

jimzo

Can people at the homestead still hear you at all when you play?
Yes, they are still subjected to my crappy playing, but seriously they are less loud than a television or some computer speakers based on ones attack and style of playing/music.
To somewhat offer an answer to your question; when there are opportunities of having no one around to disturb, and it is possible, then you could play at any time in the A.M. if desired.

jimzo

Nice looking drum kit. Good to have something to practice on without getting too loud.
Yes ! Thank You, kindly.
I realize that not everyone is fortunate enough to have another kit lying around, but this is such a great concept that one could purchase an inexpensive or used kit, then accessorize it.
No problem playing in the A.M., too! Fun stuff!

TK-421

Congrats! I've been using a low volume Silentstroke/L80 kit for a few years now, and it has worked great for playing and practicing without annoying the neighbors.

One thing I would recommend adding to your kit are these rubber rim protectors. They'll greatly soften any rim shots, which becomes especially apparent when playing with Silentstroke heads. I have them on every drum, except of course the kick ;)

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Congrats on the kit. Really nice. And equal congrats on getting the Silentstroke. I noticed those in my local GC a few years ago and decided to rehead my kit using Silentstrokes. Never been happier. Great low volume alternative.

I messed up my left technique (traditional grip) using those rubber drum head mutes after playing on them for a while. After putting on the Silentstrokes my left hand technique has greatly improved.

toddmc

Gold Member
Curious to know- how do these Silentstrokes actually sound?
Is it just like hitting your normal A-drums only much softer and how does the feel compare to mylar heads?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Curious to know- how do these Silentstrokes actually sound?
If you leave the reso heads on, they sound like a normal drum. Just with a huge reduction in volume.

Is it just like hitting your normal A-drums only much softer and how does the feel compare to mylar heads?
Sound wise, yes. Feel wise, alas not. Their only drawback IMHO. They are exceptionally bouncy and not much like a real head at all......even with a slack tensioning.

But neither is a practice pad, or neoprene Sound Off mute, or any other of the practice aids we use as a substitute to the real thing. None of them can accurately portray the feel of a drum head either. It's a trade off. Anything but the real thing always is to some degree.

Whilst they might not feel much like a real head, their value far outweighs this slight drawback as far as I'm concerned. They allow me to practice when I otherwise wouldn't be able to. So far, the best substitute to the real thing I've been able to find.

toddmc

Gold Member
If you leave the reso heads on, they sound like a normal drum. Just with a huge reduction in volume.

Sound wise, yes. Feel wise, alas not. Their only drawback IMHO. They are exceptionally bouncy and not much like a real head at all......even with a slack tensioning.
Well now you've got me intrigued (thanks for the info by the way).

I've used mesh heads on my e-drums for years (which people always say are too bouncy) but I honestly don't mind them so don't think that would be a problem.

I guess my next question is- would you be able to jam with another person (ie electric guitar/ bass) with these or are they way too quiet for that?

iCe

I also use the Silentstroke's and the L80's at home and they far surpass any electric kit IMO. I have taken off the reso heads, cut a big hole in some old Pearl Protone heads and put those on the reso side to further reduce noise issues. Works like a charm now. I also play with hot rods and that seems to dampen some of the 'bounce' in the heads. Ideal for practicing some parts and fills!

jimzo

Good stuff! In my opinion, much better than an e-kit, particularly in terms of feel (especially the low volume cymbals) and the general spacing of the drums and cymbals. I pretty much had the same setup at home until I moved everything to our rehearsal space.

Have you considered adding pick-ups to the drums and cymbals?

I notice the low volume splash - what size is it?

And do they make a low volume china?
China, Yes they do ! :-D

& Yes, that is a 10" splash.

newoldie

Silver Member
For the bouncy snare Silent Stroke head alternate route:

Just put an Aquarian Super Pad on top of your regular snare drum head and presto, instant volume reduction, pretty realistic snare bounce and enough snare sound remaining to feel it on most levels of playing.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Nice setup! I have the same kind of setup except on an old Pearl Export with Pearl mesh heads and the L80 hats and ride only. I might pick up a crash at some point but I'm not crazy about the crash sound. A little too gongy for me but the ride and hats are great for quiet jazz independence practice.

BruceW

For those of you who have used these products, are they suitable for gigging, in situations where the volume is a concern? I have a couple of gig venues where I have to really work on keeping it down, and I'd love to not have that as a concern.

(yes, I'd love to go try them for myself...nearest location that might stock them is at least a 2.5 hour drive away)