New progressive rock recording!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
You've been into a lot of prog stuff lately. This one had me thinking a bit of tool, the arrangement and melodic playing. Nice playing! I wish they put your tracks just a tad higher in the mix, but it sounds good!

KamaK

Platinum Member
You've been into a lot of prog stuff lately. This one had me thinking a bit of tool, the arrangement and melodic playing. Nice playing! I wish they put your tracks just a tad higher in the mix, but it sounds good!

It had me thinking of old Genesis, like the stuff back when Phil still had hair.

BillBachman

Gold Member
Thanks guys, I also wish it was a tad higher in the mix, but that's all their call.

As for Genesis, it's funny you say that. They're my favorite band of all time and Phil was my biggest/earliest influence. I drank up early prog Genesis all day long starting in 6th or 7th grade!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Sounds awesome man. Very orchestrated and complicated music-so I have to ask how the heck did you keep up with all of it-man lots of change ups to follow?

lefty2

Platinum Member
Very cool. I think the drums could be up a notch also. I think it maybe because when I watch these on the forum they are usually a little louder. So with that said they are probably right on for average listener. Great job Bill I enjoyed it.

BillBachman

Gold Member
so I have to ask how the heck did you keep up with all of it-man lots of change ups to follow?

If you devote enough time you can figure anything out & memorize complex music. What I did here however is record it in bite-size chunks (there are only so many hours in the day). Pretty much everywhere there's a break in the drumming I just recorded to that point and then picked it where the drums come back in.

Playing live you of course don't get those options! If I did a Spoke of Shadows live gig (my primary prog project) I'd have a lot of homework to do. It's doable though, I did 2.5-3 hour long concerts with Neal Morse so it can't get much worse than that in terms of weird prog memorization/concentration. Some of his "tunes" are 1/2 hour long & Mike Portnoy recorded the albums.

Thanks again all for the kind words!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Superb playing, Bill! If anyone, you seem closest in approach to Gavin. That was a monster arrangement that needed a tons of skill. Highlights for me were some satisfyingly Crimson-ish moments :)

BillBachman

Gold Member
Superb playing, Bill! If anyone, you seem closest in approach to Gavin. That was a monster arrangement that needed a tons of skill. Highlights for me were some satisfyingly Crimson-ish moments :)

Wow, thanks for the compliment about my style being similar to Gavin! I can't play like him, but then it's almost impossible for anybody to really play like somebody else. I have no idea what my style would be, I guess I'm a conglomerate of a bunch of stuff like most everybody else, but I'll take it! :)