New Pearl Export?

Emmaticus00

So guys, if you haven't caught on to the fact that I am in the market for a new kit and/or cymbals, well get with the program. Just kidding. :)

So I've been thinking about the new Exports and they look good. However, I don't like the fact that they come with hardware and that they're mahogany/poplar. I liked how they sounded in the store and the finishes were nice.

I also want pro cymbals so I have to choose. But do you think that used AA cymbals and an Export with Evans heads would be a good choice for a intermediate drummer looking for a kit that would be satisfying sound-wise for a couple years, at least?

Also I have goals for my kit. For the middle school and high school jazz bands there's thing called Cabaret Night. We play all types and a known drummer with a good kit, hardware, and pro level cymbals usually brings it in and we jam. I want that to be my set.

Is the new Export a good choice?

Any help is appreciated.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Export. And the included hardware is good and solid. What's not to like? Definitely outfit it with good heads and good cymbals and you'll have a set you can use for years.

So I've been thinking about the new Exports and they look good. However, I don't like the fact that they come with hardware and that they're mahogany/poplar. I liked how they sounded in the store and the finishes were nice.

You'd rather have them something like solid bubinga huh? We understand.

If we read the fine print tho, EXPORTS are 'premium plies of wood strategically arranged to maximize frequency response'. So you get that and the heavy duty hardware for $600!!!? You like the finishes, sounds like a good deal.

A little grey area, but try to understand PEARL isn't suggesting ppl interpret their wording 'premium plies of wood' as the wood itself being premium... the lay up/construction is premium.

Grey area level 2- Undoubtedly PEARL picks out the best poplar an mahogany they can get for the best workable price, so it'd even be fine for them to label their selected wood 'premium' also.

'Sonically advanced' wording.

The reality is, had these new EXPORTS existed 30 years ago, they'd been high-end drums by comparison, even with the woods they're using.

Why not look for a used Export kit that's in good shape?
There's a lot of them around here for pretty low prices.

I think they are very nice kits. With hardware and Sabian AA cymbals you'd be ready to play for sure.

I say go for it. Besides what everyone else said, they also come with a lifetime warranty. I think that alone shows that Pearl is confident in their instrument and are willing to stand behind them.

I like the blue ones myself.

Birch is nice, and some of those Vision shell packs are less expensive than the Exports. If you are happy with your current hardware then the Visions would be a good buy in my opinion. The only thing I don't like about them is the suspension mounts. As they attach to the rim, I have read numerous accounts of bent hoops and wobbly toms. I like the Export suspension system better.

Birch is nice, and some of those Vision shell packs are less expensive than the Exports. If you are happy with your current hardware then the Visions would be a good buy in my opinion. The only thing I don't like about them is the suspension mounts. As they attach to the rim, I have read numerous accounts of bent hoops and wobbly toms. I like the Export suspension system better.

I agree with this. ^

Peace and goodwill.

I'd rather get a yamaha stage custom for it's much more flexible tom mounting system (with the ball joints) and light weight single braced hardware.

Evans/remo/aquarian.. I've tried them all, remo had that coating issue but really they're pretty similar. Just replace the crap factory heads and you'll be fine.

I thought you had a nice ludwig maple kit?

Exports are fine, they are durable and will last a long time. Aside the dated look, the old Exports still sound great if maintained properly.

Only thing I'd do in your position is try to get a kit with undrilled bass drums. Vision series have them undrilled as well as drilled so if you can afford that then why not go for it? :)

I thought you had a nice ludwig maple kit?

Well, it might as well be mine as much as I take care for it and play it. Its my friend's but he lets me use it but doesn't really know how to play it. Great musician, but can't play a kit to save his life.

I've never heard a Pearl or played on one, so I obvious need to stop by at GC. I just want a kit that will subdue my G.A.S for a new kit. I of course want it to sound good, but I want to be able to have pride and show it off. I've never had name brand.

I hope I don't come off as shallow.

Back