New Pdp M5 Series

drums32

I dont know if anyone done a thread about this but just went to gc yesterday and saw a new all maple kit called the M5 anyone heard about it or maybe played it? It has laquer finishes and priced around $600 bucks. I guess this is the replacement of the LX, MX, and CX maple kits which were discontinued in 2008.

http://www.pacificdrums.com/m5/default.asp

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I saw the cherry/black fade kit.
It was nice looking, and I'm sure it could sound good with the heads you like and tuning.

I'm looking for a kit for my son, so I had my guy look up how much it would be to add on a 14x16 ft, and it got the kit almost into the Ludwig Centennial range (for the sizes I was looking at).
The Centennial is also made in China, but uses the exact same wood as the Classic Maple series, and I have no idea what the grade of maple is in the M5.

I'm not saying the M5 would stink, because the hardware on it looked sturdy, and pretty much if the edges are good, it's going to sound like a nice drum kit.

But, for what the 14x16 would cost to add on, it was'nt that great a deal (to me) anymore---but, other people would want to save ANY amount to get the same number of drums.

I'd think an M5 would serve someone a lot of years if they liked the sound of it to start with, and the sizes offered--then the price is pretty good.

I just though the add on drum price was too high for the line.

pearlygates

Gold Member
Wondering how these would compare sound wise to Gretsch Cat maples..?

Thinking about a intermediate priced maple kit myself.

max77

Pearly if you are tired to buy and change kit regulary buy a Sonor. I suggest getting into Sonor drums. Force 3007.

pearlygates

Gold Member
Pearly if you are tired to buy and change kit regulary buy a Sonor. I suggest getting into Sonor drums. Force 3007.
Thanks max77...I am kinda looking at the sub 1k price range for a shell pack.
I will check the Sonor out though. I had an old Force 2001 years ago and while it was made of basswood, it sounded pretty nice!

Sigler music center online has the M5 for $649 including a really nice Custom Classic HW pack and free shipping!
Pretty tempting. I guess I gotta get out there and check some stuff out.