New Old Kit Find

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
This is why everyone should look for used deals: Here is a "rescue" kit just delivered today. I say rescue because it must have been sitting somewhere gathering dust since sometime in the 90's before being sold to me.XPK1.jpgXPK2.jpgXPK3.jpgXPK4.jpgXPK5.jpgXPK6.jpg I don't think it was every played too much. Certainly never taken in and out of bar gigs. It's a 90's Made in England Premier XPK. Topaz Lacquer finish which is one of finest finishes I have ever seen in person. Sizes are 10,12,14 floor and 20x16 kick. I set up the 12" rack tom on a stand and didn't set up the 10" rack tom. I'll probably never use the small rack tom. Oh yeah the snare is a 70' HiFi Premier aluminum shell. I already had that. You may also see 2 Olympic snares from 60's on the snare rack. I set new kit up, tuned it a bit, and it sings. The kick isn't a drum it is a musical instrument with the most wonderful note. I dare not muffle it. PS: I used to not like "furniture stain" kits. I have been converted with this kit.

I used to own the same kit, but in rock size. It sounds as good as it looks. Amazing kit for the price.

Absolutely beautiful kit...no other way to say it.

Congrats!

Premier chrome is top quality. The screws on mine were rusty but hoops and lugs were as good as new. The rocklock Tom mount isn’t the best you can find but it does the job as long as you don’t over tighten the wing nuts.

Notice the 14" rack tom converted to floor tom. Dude I bought it from said he got it that way. Whoever did it, they did an excellent job. And they left rack mount on shell so no extra holes.

I also got the 10" rack tom but not in pics. It looks just as good as rest of kit.

Hmmm...if it's a cymbal mount then it would be an original floor tom. The drum has no extra holes, and the mount in question exactly matches mounting hardware on other two rack toms. So it may be originally a floor tom?

Here are two pics of the floor tom legs shell hardware.

What do you all think?

You mispronounced, "My floor tom has a splash mount".

Attachments

• IMG_4427.jpg
    IMG_4427.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4428.jpg
    IMG_4428.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 13
You mispronounced, "My floor tom has a splash mount".

Hmmm...if it's a cymbal mount then it would be an original floor tom. The drum has no extra holes, and the mount in question exactly matches mounting hardware on other two rack toms. So it may be originally a floor tom?

Here are two pics of the floor tom legs shell hardware.

What do you all think?

If I’m not mistaken I think clutch meant that you now have a cymbal mount from the rack mount being left there . It wouldn’t be an original cymbal mount on an original premier floor as I don’t think it came that way originally from premier. Throw up a pic of that mystery mount and ..... what is the depth of the floor Tom ? Might clear things up ??. The original owner may also have mounted a premier rack Tom mount and had a suspended ???

I had the APK version in black diamond. They sounded well above their price point. Great find and yes, their lacquers were very nice.

Mine is a 20" kick, but yeah a 22" kick with a 14" rack that would not be for me.

I’m pretty sure ( but not positive) the 14 and 16 floor toms in that era were suspended ( hanging) floor toms on a stand . Or at least could be ordered or was offered that way. I’m thinking what you were saying first, that this is a conversion , but from a suspended floor tom to leg floor tom . Although I guess it could be mounted as a “rack” tom on the base if it fit ( not for me either) it’s intent I believe .is as a floor ??. What I’m saying is , .... it is a floortom. Question is , I guess, .... was it originally a hanger and converted to legs or did it have legs and owner added the mount to make it a hanger . Not positive I if it was offered in both or not , but if it was only offered one way , that would clear up what it was originally . Could look at the mount and lugs inside ( and out) to look forevidence of modification , or ........ where our premier experts ?
Either way , that’s a nice looking kit .

Last edited:
Back