New - official Guru In-Tense video starring David Floegel!

Hey - I can pay for the shirt for myself. But I'll be sure to have her wear it for photographic purposes ;)
It's a deal :)

The price discussion does amuse me a little. I've played Guru drums a few times and they are nothing but the best.

Compare the cost of a set of these drums against high-end Classical instruments and it puts it into perspective, for me. A half-decent Grand Piano will set you back over £15,000. A high-end double bass starts at about £4,000 and can go as high as you like. Good French Horns start at about £3,000. Boutique electric basses start at £2,000 and can go up to £30,000 (if you want an Alembic).
Good contextual observations Duncan.

As Andy just explained, it's not a shell pack in that sense. It's the complete set of drums, including the hardware and the heads attached, plus cases.
Yes. Obviously, a shell pack includes lugs, hoops, heads, brackets, spurs, legs, & cases. Everything but stands, pedals, & cymbals, etc.

Last edited:
The drums are beautiful and figured the cost would be up there but they would have to transform me into Dave Weckl for me to consider anything that over the top. It's only one mans opinion I don't in anyway mean to insult anyone.

Glad to see that craftsmanship is not dead. Your drums are impeccable.

Andy,
I will be buying a Guru snare to add to my collection. Your videos make me swoon...

F

The drums are beautiful and figured the cost would be up there but they would have to transform me into Dave Weckl for me to consider anything that over the top. It's only one mans opinion I don't in anyway mean to insult anyone.
No insult whatsoever. They are expensive instruments. I wish we could equal the sonic qualities for half the price, but we can't. As a tiny hint for later this year though, we're planning a new "Tour series". Not fixed yet, will feature the same In-Tense shells, but utilise industry standard hardware. Still testing results, but if we're satisfied, Tour series will offer performance to equal or eclipse the highest end kits out there, but in a slightly more workmanlike form. Expect cost savings on a shell set exceeding $1,000 compared to In-Tense.

Glad to see that craftsmanship is not dead. Your drums are impeccable.
Thank you so much, that means a lot :)

Andy,
I will be buying a Guru snare to add to my collection. Your videos make me swoon...

F
Wow, that would be cool :) Happy to discuss your expectations anytime. Have you thought about entering the competition?

Will you tell Mr Madge that?
He already knows it ;)

TBH Madge, if you're looking to invest in an area that would benefit you the most, think in terms of a snare, not a kit. I can get either of your kits sounding much better with a rework on the bearing edges, but there's not a lot I can do to improve your snares. I'll happily rework your bass drum & toms for free, irrespective of what you decide.

He already knows it ;)

He does, to tell the truth.

TBH Madge, if you're looking to invest in an area that would benefit you the most, think in terms of a snare, not a kit. I can get either of your kits sounding much better with a rework on the bearing edges, but there's not a lot I can do to improve your snares. I'll happily rework your bass drum & toms for free, irrespective of what you decide.

I know a Guru kit would be like putting lipstick on a pig. It doesn't stop me wanting one, not least because they are things of such beauty as to be works of art. However, Mr Madge has said I can have a snare for my big birthday this year :) Obviously, I hope to win one, but if I don't, the order will be placed.

I will gratefully take you up on your kind offer re bearing edges, though absolutely NOT the "for free" part - don't I owe you enough already? I was wondering if it would be ok for Liam and me to come down at some point in the next two weeks as he's on Easter holidays?

Real nice, would love to hear them in person.

I liked the long tubey 10" on first listen, might just be the pitch.

I will gratefully take you up on your kind offer re bearing edges, though absolutely NOT the "for free" part - don't I owe you enough already? I was wondering if it would be ok for Liam and me to come down at some point in the next two weeks as he's on Easter holidays?
You're welcome to drop in, although the showroom won't be ready/stocked by then, so not much for yourself & Liam to play other than snares. As for timing, let me know when you're thinking of, & I'll see how that fits into my silly schedule.

As for reworking your edges & stuff, that's absolutely for free. I'm not sure what I can do until I inspect the drums. What's possible depends on many factors. At the very least, I can make the edges even. Right now, they're way off, & that makes tuning difficult for you. Hell, even I struggled!!!!

Here's a short clip showing David getting used to the kit & letting me hear how it sounds prior to tracking. Recorded on my Zoom Q3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXl36ykuTXc&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Real nice, would love to hear them in person.

I liked the long tubey 10" on first listen, might just be the pitch.
Glad you liked them, & you'd be most welcome to come try them out, although I suspect distance might be a slight hindrance :( This is why we put a lot of effort into creating honest videos. We can't put our drums through distribution, otherwise the cost would jump by at least 50%, so these videos are our only viable solution.

You're welcome to drop in, although the showroom won't be ready/stocked by then, so not much for yourself & Liam to play other than snares. As for timing, let me know when you're thinking of, & I'll see how that fits into my silly schedule.

I think he finished his tour last night so that means he should be home this weekend. I'll let him get some sleep, then see how he's fixed and let you know. As for only having snares to play, that's fine by me - I'll need to know which one I want, won't I!

As for reworking your edges & stuff, that's absolutely for free. I'm not sure what I can do until I inspect the drums. What's possible depends on many factors. At the very least, I can make the edges even. Right now, they're way off, & that makes tuning difficult for you. Hell, even I struggled!!!!

It'd be so much easier just to buy a beautifully-made kit ... :D

Again Andy,Guru is moving,yet again foward,and not taling the time to rest on their laurels.I know that ash makes a great long bow.The British have proven this time and time again.Just ask the French.:)

But a steam bent drum kit is something special,from a few different perspectives.The visual and the sound,become a visceral experience.That,coupled with the sheer amount of man hours and world class craftmanship that go into these beautiful instruments,makes them a bargian,when compared to the "good enough" current business model in some manufacturers.

Huzza, Andy and Dean.Yet another bar raised,that others can only try to follow.:)

Steve B

Like I said in a different thread, Im sick of seeing the major manufacturers churning out the same crap for the last 20 years. No ingenuity, no innovation. Just the same crap.

Its very nice to see a company try something new. Be bold and take a chance on an idea that may or may not work out. Not only that, but show video of their attempts to the public. Did this idea work out? Sonically I believe it did. Will there be a ton of people flocking to get this specific tom setup? I really dont know. Time will tell.

Guru could have just kept pushing out standard sized drums like everyone else and most peope wouldnt have complained. Perhaps thats the business model of the big guys. Just keep making the same stuff until people comllain. But instead they push themselves and their product line to make new and exciting products. I applaud this.

Can I afford one of these kits? Only if they take credit card. If I were in the market for a top of the line kit that had sonic properties that none of the big manufacturers could produce, I would definately get in contact with Guru.

Way to go Guru for actually innovating and pushing the limits of what can be done. Dont fall victim to the sloth like mentality the big boys have.

Like I said in a different thread, Im sick of seeing the major manufacturers churning out the same crap for the last 20 years. No ingenuity, no innovation. Just the same crap.

Its very nice to see a company try something new. Be bold and take a chance on an idea that may or may not work out. Not only that, but show video of their attempts to the public. Did this idea work out? Sonically I believe it did. Will there be a ton of people flocking to get this specific tom setup? I really dont know. Time will tell.

Guru could have just kept pushing out standard sized drums like everyone else and most peope wouldnt have complained. Perhaps thats the business model of the big guys. Just keep making the same stuff until people comllain. But instead they push themselves and their product line to make new and exciting products. I applaud this.

Can I afford one of these kits? Only if they take credit card. If I were in the market for a top of the line kit that had sonic properties that none of the big manufacturers could produce, I would definately get in contact with Guru.

Way to go Guru for actually innovating and pushing the limits of what can be done. Dont fall victim to the sloth like mentality the big boys have.
Wow! Thank you so much for your supportive words. You have no idea how much that helps push us through the brick walls we face all to often. I think we were the first manufacturer to release totally honest official videos. We're still just about the only ones who truly do it. We were advised in the industry that our approach was bordering stupidity, & that our videos would never stand up to the "impressive" productions usually put out there. The advice was that players are now conditioned to expecting that impressive sound, & would regard our offerings as weak. Well, we think those who are interested in our instruments are a bit better informed than that. Judging by the comments we receive, I think we're right. Drummer Magazine actually came to witness the latest session & prepare a writeup on it. Off the record, they admitted they wanted to verify our claims too.

BTW, we take credit cards ;) ;) ;)

Again Andy,Guru is moving,yet again foward,and not taling the time to rest on their laurels.I know that ash makes a great long bow.The British have proven this time and time again.Just ask the French.:)

But a steam bent drum kit is something special,from a few different perspectives.The visual and the sound,become a visceral experience.That,coupled with the sheer amount of man hours and world class craftmanship that go into these beautiful instruments,makes them a bargian,when compared to the "good enough" current business model in some manufacturers.

Huzza, Andy and Dean.Yet another bar raised,that others can only try to follow.:)

Steve B
Steve, as always, thanks for your support & encouragement. It really helps.

It'd be so much easier just to buy a beautifully-made kit ... :D
Yes, but IMHO, not even close to necessary in your personal context. Maybe in the future, or maybe just to put a smile on your face, but in terms of tools needed for the job right now, our kits are over the top. A snare however, is a different matter. You can get a snare that's easily good enough for your immediate needs for a lot less than a Guru, 70% less even, & still show a significant improvement above & beyond your current snares. The Guru however, would never require replacement, & the snare is the very foundation of your set.

As always, these Guru drums sound phenomenal. I don't even look at the videos anymore, I just listen. That is very odd for me as I always want to analyze the drummer. The drums speak for themselves, and no matter the skill level of the player, their voices are spectacular. I can only imagine what would happen if someone with the skillset and notoriety of Vinnie go a hold of a set, or if they got the major exposure that an artist like (insert favorite huge act here) would allow. If they sounded any better, they may become illegal in certain countries!

I'll just have to wear the right dress!

FROCK!! I'll lend you one. You'll carry it off a whole lot better than me. You won't trip over it, for a start. No pressure, but I'm relying on you.

Back