New - official Guru In-Tense video starring David Floegel!

Guru Drums

Direct & live from the studio, & presenting our latest Guru artist, David Floegel, we offer our new video featuring the 3 x 10" toms In-Tense series ash kit. This time out, in addition to our usual no processing captures, we've included a mildly processed version of David's performance.

Lots of fun going down here tonight, including David & myself doing guest appearances on the new Beatloaf drum videos (a new & hilarious series of videos hosted by two superb drummers. Not to be taken seriously, but great playing). More about beatloaf & photo's/video from the sessions when we return :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFt6QFzfEM&hd=1

The drums sound very nice not sure I can say they sound like any other pretty much a sound of there own. IMO there's a clear tonal difference between the 10' tom but even when I close my eye's somehow they still sound like 3 10" drums. I like the sound of the kit but for me I would rather a 10' 12' setup.

Funny, when I heard the preliminary test video you made Andy, I fell for the floor tom. The same drum in the final version of the video sounded as if it was tuned much higher--a bit too high for my tastes (though it could be these Bose desktop speakers). Anyway, in this "official" video, the snare drum killed. Wow it sounded amazing! As for the concept with the 10" toms, the middle tom in a traditional depth spoke to me the most. I like to tell people that my Reference Pure toms produce such a "pure" sounding note but that Guru middle 10' tom was something to behold. As always, I'm such an admirer of the innovation that comes from your workshops.

Those drums sound so full and organic, just wonderful! They both look and sound spectacular.

Congrats to David for being a Guru artist now.
Two weeks ago we've been discussing hand patterns at my home (after meeting up with Florian Alexandru-Zorn and a few fellow drummers/subscribers to his online lessons), and now David is a Guru artist - crazy news! I'm proud of and glad for you, David. You deserve it.

Already knew theses were going to sound good. Had this been a reject kit it would've ended up kindling, not filmed and shown, can't fool us anymore Andy.

Curious as to the tamber, it sounds close amongst the three. Are the heads relatively the same tension (which would be a dream job to play)?

And the feel? The consistency (of the head tension) right ought to grow on ya I should think.

That done, how about an outfit crafted in all 12's now?

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    273.4 KB · Views: 557
Thanks for sharing. I was surprised to discover this but I thought the deepest one sounded best to my ears.

Cheers!

Great! I believe I prefer the middle 10" is the most balanced to my ear. I actually prefer the non-processed version, there is way too much reverb on the processed.

I guess not all toms were tuned to the same not, correct?

Thank you all for your responses guys :) Just landed back, so I'll respond to your questions first, then I'll follow with a back story post (with photo's & video) later on.

I'd like to kick off by saying this was always going to be something brave/bordering on suicidal in terms of our reputation. The honest captures leave nowhere to hide. This video is not intended to display a "recommended" kit layout, more an insight into the kind of boundary pushing R&D we get up to. If it has a specific purpose beyond that, it's to show just what can be done with shell design, shell hardware interface, & bearing edge augmentation. If you tried this without the benefit of those elements, the result would be nowhere near as pleasing/musical across such a tuning range.

Yummy yummy yummy, I've got drums in my tummy!
If I was being especially harsh in a bestest friend sort of way, I'd say that's a lot of drums ;) ;) ;)

IMO there's a clear tonal difference between the 10' tom but even when I close my eye's somehow they still sound like 3 10" drums.
Yes they do, & there's no getting away from that, but the melodic progression has a different flavour to the classic increasing diameters approach. Wether that has merit, is a personal preference.

Funny, when I heard the preliminary test video you made Andy, I fell for the floor tom. The same drum in the final version of the video sounded as if it was tuned much higher--a bit too high for my tastes (though it could be these Bose desktop speakers). Anyway, in this "official" video, the snare drum killed. Wow it sounded amazing! As for the concept with the 10" toms, the middle tom in a traditional depth spoke to me the most. I like to tell people that my Reference Pure toms produce such a "pure" sounding note but that Guru middle 10' tom was something to behold. As always, I'm such an admirer of the innovation that comes from your workshops.
Yes, we did raise the tuning of the floor tom, as well as lower tuning on the deepest 10" tom, & raise it on the shallowest tom. This was to deliver a musical progression that we think works. If you listen to David's "hero" fill at the end of his performance piece, I think it works.
The snare was not a feature of this video. Only mic'd from the top, it lacked a touch of wire definition, but it's really difficult to get this snare to sound bad :) Thank you for your kind words :)

simply lovely stuff!

F
Thanks Florian! David has been informing me about your activities & strong skills over the past two days, so I'm humbled by your approving remark.

Crumbs, those sound so good. The 6" is probably the weakest in the selection but gosh, that 11.5 seems to hold its own against the 'typical' depth one! G2s, right?
Yes, G2's over G1's. The 6" deep tom is doing exactly what I'd expect it to do at that tuning. It's tuned as an 8" tom, & to my ears, much more satisfying. It's a shorter note, & deliberately so, but delivering a very clear fundamental. The deep 10" tom is doing the exact opposite. Lots of lower overtones that enable it to push out a satisfying tone at a tuning that's way lower than you'd normally consider for a 10" tom. Great sounding deep drums is all about overtone control. Something that doesn't feature in 80's power toms, & with predictable thin results & lack of tonal clarity.

Those drums sound so full and organic, just wonderful! They both look and sound spectacular.

Congrats to David for being a Guru artist now.
Two weeks ago we've been discussing hand patterns at my home (after meeting up with Florian Alexandru-Zorn and a few fellow drummers/subscribers to his online lessons), and now David is a Guru artist - crazy news! I'm proud of and glad for you, David. You deserve it.
Thank you Arky, both for your approving words on the drum sounds, but especially our welcoming of David to the Guru roster. Both Dean & I are big fans of David's playing, & his professionalism will become clear in my next post describing the crazy time schedule we had to work to.

Curious as to the tamber, it sounds close amongst the three. Are the heads relatively the same tension (which would be a dream job to play)?
Thanks Les, & no, the tuning was completely different on all toms. Depth can both positively & adversely affect timbre, but can't manipulate pitch in a two headed design. In deeper & small concert toms however, the pitch pipe effect is much stronger.

Thanks for sharing. I was surprised to discover this but I thought the deepest one sounded best to my ears.

Cheers!
Thank you. It's great to hear of personal preferences.

Great! I believe I prefer the middle 10" is the most balanced to my ear. I actually prefer the non-processed version, there is way too much reverb on the processed.
Agreed on the middle 10" tom. It's certainly the size to shoot for if you want wide range tuning ability whilst keeping a pleasing tonal balance. The most shallow & deepest toms are limited to performing well in their own register. Neither would work as well if we reversed the tuning.

Sooo, no Sonor anymore :)? What happened/happens to David's Sonor drums now I'm curious! :)
You'll have to ask David that. He should be landing back around now.

From our side, David will start with a Guru snare that he will select in the coming weeks (although he already has a clear idea of his preferred specification). All Guru artists buy their drums, so if or when David decides to progress to a full kit is his decision/timeframe. I imagine David will continue to play his superb Sonor kit for some time to come, & we're fine with that.

Ok, here's the full introduction post we didn't have time to construct live from the studio. There's some "behind the scenes" photo's & video to view, but maybe useful to describe the day in a timeline. I think you may be surprised how little time we spend on these videos given the results, because we need to get the most out of the studio/film crew time to keep costs to a minimum. This is only possible because of the professionalism of all involved. Everyone knows their job. They're all well regarded pro's in the business, & deservedly so.

09:30AM - kit already set up, but start to set up audio & video gear. Takes about 10 minutes to get the mic's balanced & placed for the natural capture. Video setup takes much longer due to use of vertical booms & camera pans/tracks + lighting.

11:00AM - Start tracking. Run through the intro set piece & performance piece a few times. This isn't due to mistakes, it's making compositional choices as we go along to ensure the key elements are in the mix.

12:30AM - Finished tracking & all video capture. Break down mic's & video gear to clear for Drummer magazine review & photo's.

1:15 PM - Break for onsite farmhouse lunch.

2:00PM - Start of Drummer Magazine interviews, photo session & interviews. The magazine will run a major "behind the scenes" feature in next month's issue, c/w a kit review & details about the studio, the people in the team, & the Beatloaf guys (more about them later) Whilst this is going on, we're mixing the audio (takes only 15 minutes including the processed version!), editing the video to finished result, & setting up for the Beatloaf sessions. All of this multitasking completed by 5:00PM.

5:00PM - Start tracking the utter madness that is the Beatloaf sessions, with the In-Tense kit in 4 piece guise & ported bass drum configuration. We work through tracking of 14 short videos (yes, I said 14 separate videos!) until about 12:30 AM (following day)

12:30 AM - Break down the Beatloaf stage & setup for a night time session of drum tracking using the Guru kits. By 2:00 we're off to bed.

That's the Guru sessions video, 14 mini videos (about 4 minutes long each, recorded live, no retakes), a full feature photo shoot & interviews for Drummer magazine, plus an album tracking session, all in one day. Phew!!!

BTW, further great news, David will have his own feature/interview published in Drummer magazine in the next two months! Cool :) :) :)

Beatloaf! Never had such a laugh in a session - ever. This is a video series you really want to watch out for. Two talented pro drummers running a "show & tell" style bi weekly video clip series. The playing is superb, but it's the setting/concept/personalities that really work so well. These guys absolutely don't take themselves seriously, & they have no idea just how naturally comedic their presentation is. Not scripted, not contrived, just leaves you crying with laughter. Anyhow, both David & myself were asked to "guest" on a clip each. David can describe his experience, but mine was really weird. I was pushed, neigh bullied into this. I had to do my piece straight after David, & at a moments notice. 1/ how the hell do I follow THAT! 2/what can I possibly offer in such high technique company. 3/ 1 take, no edits - what can possibly go wrong - right??? I never thought I would see the day when Andy appears in a "show us what you got" video presentation. Holy crap! You'll get the chance to laugh at me quite soon :(

Anyhow, here's some general photo's & photo's plus a video of the Beatloaf guys sound checking.

Beatloaf setup clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTiVfWCGM-g&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

Attachments

• Studio 1.jpg
    Studio 1.jpg
    872.9 KB · Views: 508
  • studio2.jpg
    studio2.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 507
  • studio 2014:3.jpg
    studio 2014:3.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 510
  • studio 2014:4.jpg
    studio 2014:4.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 501
  • studio 2014:5.jpg
    studio 2014:5.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 520
  • studio 2014:6.jpg
    studio 2014:6.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 496
  • studio 2014:7.jpg
    studio 2014:7.jpg
    866.7 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
You'll have to ask David that. He should be landing back around now.

From our side, David will start with a Guru snare that he will select in the coming weeks (although he already has a clear idea of his preferred specification). All Guru artists buy their drums, so if or when David decides to progress to a full kit is his decision/timeframe. I imagine David will continue to play his superb Sonor kit for some time to come, & we're fine with that.

I'll continue playing sonor - can't afford a whole guru drumkit!
I really look forward to my Guru snaredrum!!!

More detailed post today - i'm off to bed!

PLUS my sq2 sounds fantastic and I spent almost 8 years saving up money! I'm not gonna sell it for anything.. (Sorry Andy :p )

I have yet to see an SQ2 lose to pretty much anything. A total exception with regard to ply construction.

A Craviotto addict on another board just happened upon an SQ2.. Now is in the process of selling his Craviottos.

I have yet to see an SQ2 lose to pretty much anything. A total exception with regard to ply construction.

A Craviotto addict on another board just happened upon an SQ2.. Now is in the process of selling his Craviottos.

Yeah... I've hinted at it b/f, SQ2 in the room as a control during the next GURU sound test.

"LETS GET READY TO RUUUUUMMMMBLE"!!! kind of action. Andy said he don't play dat tho.

Last edited:
Back