New - official Guru In-Tense video starring David Floegel!

D

drumming sort of person

Very cool! I love the three 10" tom concept. :)

Now, how about a 9", 11", and 13" tom, with 15" and 17" floor toms? And, a 21" bass drum. Just because.

porter

Platinum Member
Very cool! I love the three 10" tom concept. :)

Now, how about a 9", 11", and 13" tom, with 15" and 17" floor toms? And, a 21" bass drum. Just because.
You joke, but this was my dream kit for a while a year ago... surprisingly, the hardest one to get would be the 17". There's an 11" RIMS mount and you could probably just bend a 10" into the shape required for the 9", and it's easy enough to find a hoop maker willing to make 21" bass drum hoops, but I can't find 2.3 17" hoops anywhere. You could probably go with wooden hoops though. Remo makes all of the head sizes.

I'm kind of esoteric, if you haven't noticed...

Guru Drums

If they sounded any better, they may become illegal in certain countries!
Thanks! Agreed, being banned would be a superb marketing piece of gold :) Thank you for your kind words.

You joke, but this was my dream kit for a while a year ago... surprisingly, the hardest one to get would be the 17". There's an 11" RIMS mount and you could probably just bend a 10" into the shape required for the 9", and it's easy enough to find a hoop maker willing to make 21" bass drum hoops, but I can't find 2.3 17" hoops anywhere. You could probably go with wooden hoops though. Remo makes all of the head sizes.

I'm kind of esoteric, if you haven't noticed...
The only sizes that really interest us in that list are 11", 15", & 21". 15" is easy, but 11" & 21" only have limited head availability. As for making the shells, that's just a tooling investment.

Drums sound great! Love the playing too!
Thank you :)

I think Mr Madge is going to be a pushover compared to that Andy. He's very 'arsh.
Not 'arsh, just doing the right thing by you :) Irrespective of who is enquiring, if I think something is wrong for them, or they'd be better off placing their concentrations/resources elsewhere, I'll say it as I think it.

I'll just have to wear the right dress!
I do hope there are pictures! lol.
Part of me would demand pictures, the other part would be worried about my inability to eat for at least a week after viewing them ;) ;) ;)

kallewille

Thanks for sharing. I was surprised to discover this but I thought the deepest one sounded best to my ears.

Cheers!
Ok, I've changed my mind now that I've listened to the video on a good set of speakers. The middle tom all the way. What a difference good speakers make; I should've known better. That bass drum by the way is rumbling!!!! :D

Guru Drums

Ok, I've changed my mind now that I've listened to the video on a good set of speakers. The middle tom all the way. What a difference good speakers make; I should've known better. That bass drum by the way is rumbling!!!! :D
The 8.5" deep tom sounds like a 10" tom should IMHO. Both the shallow & the deep 10" tom are operating at the extremes of 10" tom tuning whilst still maintaining tone. I think they do it very well, but it's the shallow one (in addition to the 8.5" deep tom) is the one I'd consider offering as part of the standard range. The very deep tom is a great exercise in what's possible with good design, but ultimately, a 12" tom would be far more flexible in this setup.

As for the bass drum, yes, it's a thunder machine. It was tuned a touch low for my taste (although the reso was quite tight), but that tuning was chosen to complement the melodic progression around the kit. The bottom end that bass drum puts out is unreal. Just standing in the room, you'd swear it was amplified & put through a big sub. Check out the Zoom camera clips through good headphones, & you get some impression of this, but because you "hear" a lot of lower frequencies with your body, you're still not getting the full spectrum & feel in the room.

Grolubao

Although I know it's all in good intentions, from the Marketing point of view I don't see any reason to show the Zoom Q3 recordings, they end up not doing justice to the great sound of these drums.

I'm really curious to the final videos for the in-tense series. Seeing the difference between the English Ash and the other type of woods to be shown. Also, I think would be good to demonstrate the difference between a 22" and 20" bass drums in the video shoots.

Guru Drums

Although I know it's all in good intentions, from the Marketing point of view I don't see any reason to show the Zoom Q3 recordings, they end up not doing justice to the great sound of these drums.

I'm really curious to the final videos for the in-tense series. Seeing the difference between the English Ash and the other type of woods to be shown. Also, I think would be good to demonstrate the difference between a 22" and 20" bass drums in the video shoots.
I get where you're coming from regarding the zoom handy cam recordings. Naturally, they cannot compete with a properly recorded natural capture, & they certainly can't compete with the usual processed recordings applied to official drum videos. That said, I think our potential customers appreciate them, & have told us so on numerous occasions. They offer a reference point that's real world budget recording. More importantly, they compare most favourably with Zoom recordings made by others. If you listen to them through good headphones, the quality of the drum sound really jumps out at you, despite the modest recording method. There is one final aspect to this, we have no interest in the usual marketing material manipulation. We go our own way, & simply present things as they are.

As for the other In-Tense kit recordings coming up, there is only one more planned, & that will be as part of the 3 drummers vs. bass battle video we're shooting in July. We'd love to spend days recording every variation of sizes & tuning, but we simply don't have the funds to do that. Given our size, I'm not aware of any other company that puts out video of our quality, honesty, or frequency. In that regard, we punch well above our weight.

Grolubao

Great Andy!

But will there be a comparison between Walnut and English Ash to help the customers decide what they should get?

Guru Drums

Great Andy!

But will there be a comparison between Walnut and English Ash to help the customers decide what they should get?
Yes. Not only will there be a dedicated video for the In-Tense English walnut stave drums, but both steam bent ash & stave walnut will appear side by side in the battle video. Even better, they'll be joined by the 2014 Origin series kit in beech/ovangkol. Everything recorded live in the same space.

Grolubao

Yes. Not only will there be a dedicated video for the In-Tense English walnut stave drums, but both steam bent ash & stave walnut will appear side by side in the battle video. Even better, they'll be joined by the 2014 Origin series kit in beech/ovangkol. Everything recorded live in the same space.
Drooling!!! Can't wait to see. Keep us posted Andy

Cuban

4 videos. Session takes place July 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. Hope to have them all up within a few days after the session :)
Just catching up with all the insanely stunning output by Guru since I headed out on tour earlier this year. Awesome, just blown away.

Looking forward to these July videos as I'll be ordering a snare shortly after.

My own jury is out on the kit, I either need to get my own playing back up to scratch to justify it or I sell some of my other kits, either way, I hope to be wearing a Guru shirt with pride as I go about my day job running around the world soon.

Cheers guys.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Just catching up with all the insanely stunning output by Guru since I headed out on tour earlier this year. Awesome, just blown away.

Looking forward to these July videos as I'll be ordering a snare shortly after.

My own jury is out on the kit, I either need to get my own playing back up to scratch to justify it or I sell some of my other kits, either way, I hope to be wearing a Guru shirt with pride as I go about my day job running around the world soon.

Cheers guys.
Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot when we're peddling uphill as hard as we are :(

I have a day free next week to prepare the kits for the session, then it's off to middle farm for two days of silly tracking schedule & a day of video edit. We're walking into completely uncharted territory with our main session. Either brave or stupid, I'll know by next Wednesday. The three "honest Capture" videos are pretty straight forward, as we have our routine nailed down.

You might like to read this review & insight into our sessions from Drummer Magazine reporters at the last session http://media.wix.com/ugd/abceeb_5d79127dccba41ecb3cfa1c22ea9bc24.pdf

Cuban

Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot when we're peddling uphill as hard as we are :(

I have a day free next week to prepare the kits for the session, then it's off to middle farm for two days of silly tracking schedule & a day of video edit. We're walking into completely uncharted territory with our main session. Either brave or stupid, I'll know by next Wednesday. The three "honest Capture" videos are pretty straight forward, as we have our routine nailed down.

You might like to read this review & insight into our sessions from Drummer Magazine reporters at the last session http://media.wix.com/ugd/abceeb_5d79127dccba41ecb3cfa1c22ea9bc24.pdf
Thanks for that link Andy, I never found a copy at any of the airports I was passing though, so good to read that.

Preaching to the converted of course, i'll be in touch.