New mics.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Always wanting to upgrade, Sold a bunch of stuff on Reverb so had some extra $$. Earthworks sr25s for overheads. earthworks DM20s for toms. Earthworks SR20ms iside kick, DW Moon Mic outside kick. Suew SM7b with cloud lifter for snare. SM 57 under snare and two addional SM57s for side snares or side toms. I've had the 57s for a long time.

Attachments

• ew.jpg
    ew.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ew1.jpg
    ew1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 15
  • ew3.jpg
    ew3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 15
  • moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 15
  • cloud.jpg
    cloud.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 17

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Earthworks make great microphones. I'd be interested in hearing your impression of the DW Moon Mic.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Earthworks make great microphones. I'd be interested in hearing your impression of the DW Moon Mic.

I've only had the moon mic a couple of days but it sounds great, I lke it better than the Yamaha sub kick. Also a good mic, but bulky, heavy and friggin ugly. I'm still movig it around on the head. I'm running PS3s front and back but changing to an ambassador on front for more resonance, I'm using less EQ with the Moon mic than with the sub kick and getting a deeper sound. Using a much smaller port also as the earthworks is a slender mic it gets inside easily. With the Earthworks mics I've cut my gain in half and getting a fuller sound that with the E604s. The SM7b is killer. It's like a 57 on steriods. Kinda big it sounds awesome. It has bass roll off and presence boost switches on the back. I was running KSM184s as overheads and they always sounded weak. The Earthworks SR25s blow me away. You could get a great sound with just those and a kick mic.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
I've only had the moon mic a couple of days but it sounds great, I lke it better than the Yamaha sub kick

Reasonable. The Yamaha thingy has a NS10M woofer inside, although those speakers are well known for their non-existing bass and sub range. I built my DIY subkick from a 10" Gallien Kruger bass amp woofer which has a huge bottom end, shock-mounted inside a 12" Millenium tom. This one reproduces my 24"/18" remarkably well down to earthquake range.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Reasonable. The Yamaha thingy has a NS10M woofer inside, although those speakers are well known for their non-existing bass and sub range. I built my DIY subkick from a 10" Gallien Kruger bass amp woofer which has a huge bottom end, shock-mounted inside a 12" Millenium tom. This one reproduces my 24"/18" remarkably well down to earthquake range.

A bassist had one of those amps so I bet your DIY worked outgreat. I play a 22 now but my next set will be a 24. Played a 26 in my younger days so I'm over that.

jdavis

The SM7b is killer. It's like a 57 on steriods. Kinda big it sounds awesome. It has bass roll off and presence boost switches on the back.

Yep, I've always thought of the SM7 as a super-57. Sounds great in lots of applications. Try it on kick. Or, better yet, if you have access to a Sennheiser 441, try it. Can be fat and punchy as hell. One of my favs! (y)