New Member Looking for a New Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrittyGroover

First I would like to start off by introducing myself to the forum. My name is Kevin and currently living in California. At the moment I am using a pretty old and thrashed up pdp kit, however I can't complain because my buddy basically gave to me. I love playing blues and classic rock, I have been looking at the Mapex Meridian Maple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtdvKl9vpQ

I would also like to know what you guys would recommend for me, I am sorry if this is such a cliche post on the forum, I thought I would introduce myself and ask at the same time.
Much thanks!
-Kevin

Welcome to the forum Kevin :)

As for kit advice, try to be as specific as you can, then members will be better placed to help you. Also, search the threads on drum choice here, there's lots of them!

I like the honest audio capture on the video you featured. Be aware that most videos are processed to a greater or lesser extent. I thought the kit sounded pretty good, if not a little "boxy".

Enjoy your journey :)

Welcome!

Not only will you play them, you will have to look at them.

What style(s) do you play?
Will you be gigging?
Does the kit you want suit your playing style?
Do you like how it sounds?
Do you like how it looks?

People love to tell you what to buy and why. All I can suggest is get something you like, that fits you. Make it sound good and have fun.

Mapex does make a quality kit. I owned a Pro M maple kit till very recently.

That kit sounds pretty good, even with stock heads (awful heads)- they'll probably sound better with real heads.

Even so, you should answer canada's questions above me so we could possibly refer some others that you might like better.

Buy the Mapex kit, and then get new heads for it because the heads that come on them are not very good. Peace and goodwill.

I got myself a Tama Silverstar myself for a great price brand new last year and haven't looked back since! It depends what kind of sound you are looking for though. I know you are looking at a maple set where as the Silverstar is all 100% birch but that is because I like the sound of birch, its my "cup of tea" shall we say. Check it out though here is a link to a youtube clip and the actual Tama website tell me what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRal3zMwUqY

http://www.tama.com/silverstar/index.html

btw thats not me playing on the youtube video lol.

What style(s) do you play?
Will you be gigging?
Does the kit you want suit your playing style?
Do you like how it sounds?
Do you like how it looks?

I like to play blues so I like to play more groove patterns and real smooth pocket playing. I do plan on gigging with it. I do like the sound, however I have been checking out so many other kits I am really stuck in a pickle.

Don't think of all different choices as being in a pickle. It puts you in the drivers seat! Maybe have a few different options in that price range and pick up something used and in great condition and take the money you saved and get the best cymbals you can.

A short list of others I would also look at are PDP Platinum, Yamaha Tour Custom, Tama Silverstar, Ludwig Epic.

If I had $1200 to spend on a new kit I woulf get a PDP American Vintage!

Don't think of all different choices as being in a pickle. It puts you in the drivers seat! Maybe have a few different options in that price range and pick up something used and in great condition and take the money you saved and get the best cymbals you can.

A short list of others I would also look at are PDP Platinum, Yamaha Tour Custom, Tama Silverstar, Ludwig Epic.

If I had $1200 to spend on a new kit I woulf get a PDP American Vintage!

Ahahah I guess you are right! I have been looking at both new and used gear to find the best deal. Craigslist has been my best friend lately!

If the Meridian is what you really, really want ..... go for it. If you're just shopping, keep on doing that. Also, how many drums do you need? Here's a Saturn kit, for less than a grand. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mapex-Satur...051?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257ac815ab It's only a 3 piece .... with a 24" kick.​

I was looking for either a 4 piece or 5 piece. I saw that Saturn kit and I was ver intrigued by it, however i haven't done enough research on it still

Well I'm gonna throw my last two cents which is you really can't go wrong with any "intermediate to advanced" kit. Just like everybody else has been telling you its all about the sound and the style of music your are playing etc. I for example wanted a kit that could play a variety of styles because that is what I eventually plan on playing, therefore I went with the Tama I couldn't say no to 650 bucks for a 6 piece kit bro lol! I do remember looking at a Gretsch Catalina Maple and an PDP X7 kit as well and I like the more "focused" yet "vintage" sound that the Tama kit provided. That also depends on a variety of things though to what type of sound, heads you buy, even the sticks that you use. I would say be smart about your purchase but go with what you really want and think sounds right.

Well I'm gonna throw my last two cents which is you really can't go wrong with any "intermediate to advanced" kit. Just like everybody else has been telling you its all about the sound and the style of music your are playing etc. I for example wanted a kit that could play a variety of styles because that is what I eventually plan on playing, therefore I went with the Tama I couldn't say no to 650 bucks for a 6 piece kit bro lol! I do remember looking at a Gretsch Catalina Maple and an PDP X7 kit as well and I like the more "focused" yet "vintage" sound that the Tama kit provided. That also depends on a variety of things though to what type of sound, heads you buy, even the sticks that you use. I would say be smart about your purchase but go with what you really want and think sounds right.

Thanks for your input I will be sure to check out Tama as well!

I got the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch kit a year and a half ago. Great kit and I love playing it. If I was in the market for a new kit I'd look into the Yamaha Rock Tour. The Yamaha hardware and build quality is top notch.

I have also been very interested in the Gretsch Catalina Maple and I have seen some mixed feelings of it. But majority of people seem to really like the kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back