New Member Looking for a New Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertM

Platinum Member
You can find pretty good prices on Mapex Saturn kits and the new Saturn IV kits, and these kits are considered pro level/good quality.

I will say that I have found Pearl to have very good customer service--you can contact reps right from their forum and get fairly instant feedback--something I have not experienced when tried with Tama or Mapex. The Pearl Sessions Customs (birch/kapur shells) are pretty good for the money, and the Maple MCX kits are usually around $1500 or so for a 4 pc kit.

If you are looking for just an all-around solid kit at a reasonable price, I'd recommend the following (these kits usually run, new, between $1100-$1700, depending on the setup):

- Pearl SSC or MCX
- Mapex Saturn or Saturn IV
- Tama Starclassic Performer Bubinga/Birch
- Gretsch Renown Maple
- Yamaha new Oak Live Series kits

I would suggest DW Performance Series--DW's series to give players custom features at a good price--but even those kits have gone up a bit too much in price.

All of these kits will last you a good while and sound good with good heads and good tuning.

Once you go to the Gretsch Catalina series, or the Pearl Vision/Pearl Export series, or the Tama Swingstar, Mapex Horizon, Yamaha Gig Maker, etc.--all of which can be found in 4 or 5 pc setups for well under $1K--the quality of the kit really starts to take a nose dive.

In the under $1K range for a kit with decent quality, I suppose I'd recommend taking a look at the Tama Silverstar birch kits or the Yamaha Stage Custom birch kits.

Hope that helps.

Piebe

Well, you can hardly go wrong with Mapex and i just hope you haven't bought a Catalina instead of a Meridian Maple! If you haven't bought a kit yet, look at a Mapex Big City kit too, it is cheaper than a Meridian Maple and sounds awesome.

GrittyGroover

What you end up deciding on bro?!
I still haven't purchased on yet. My dad's friend offered me a deal on a Tama, but he didn't know the exact model on it because that is only his practice kit and he uses a Rodgers for everything else. So as of now I am still playing the PDP kit that is falling apart that my friend let me borrow, but hey I can't complain!

Status
Not open for further replies.