New Mapex Owner, One Question(so far!)

iontheable

Hey all, I am the proud new owner of a new Walnut Burst Meridian !

Really excited..this kit is incredibly beautiful. I was not crazy about the finish, though I selected the Walnut as "the best I could find" finish and now that its arrived..I'm absolutely in love. Even matches my custom snare very well!

DISCLAIMER: I don't have pictures > , < YET! Camera is getting fixed and will be back in action..hopefully in a week or so. SO STAY TUNED!

Anyhow, past the introduction. It looks as though the arm, mounted to the bass drum, supporting the rack toms has a spot for a cymbal stand to be mounted upon...perfect spot for my 22'' ride :)

So my question is: who makes a cheaper version of the tom clamps that attach to a cymbal arm? I found the ones manufactured by Mapex..and they are quite pricey, so I'm looking for an alternative.

If anyone knows a brand/design that will support my rack toms, mounted off a cymbal stand I would be most grateful!

My thoughts are to mount both rack toms on either side of my bass drum, supported by my cymbal stands..this way, I'd be able to have a flatter stance..which is ultimately my goal...I hate seeing toms tilted!

Anyhow, loving the kit! I've got some Ebony Remo Pinstripes for the toms and I am still in process of dialing them all in..not sure where the sweet spot is, just yet.

Thank You!

S

sticks4drums

It's a little unclear what you have and what you want. Sounds like your bass drum has a top mount for two toms and a spot in the middle for an optional cymbal stand.

I think you would rather use a cymbal stand on either side of the bass and hang one Tom off of each with a multi clamp. Is this right.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Go to the Gibraltar hardware website. They have something for just about any drummer's need. The prices may not be what you are looking for. Peace and goodwill.

P.S. I prefer to mount toms on the bass drum.

iontheable

It's a little unclear what you have and what you want. Sounds like your bass drum has a top mount for two toms and a spot in the middle for an optional cymbal stand.

I think you would rather use a cymbal stand on either side of the bass and hang one Tom off of each with a multi clamp. Is this right.
Correct!

This is how I have mine.

That is precisely what I am going for sticks! Thanks for the picture!

My thoughts: I am going to mount the toms low, as I mentioned, having them closer to the height of the floor toms. And then mount my ride, dead center, just a touch higher than the toms.

What mounts are you using? Are those the 'official' Mapex multi-clamps?

I see, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mapex-AC913-Multi-Purpose-Clamp-491474-i1415224.gc

The AC913, that I linked above, as well as the AC903. Both look like they would fit my needs.

Thanks again!

S

sticks4drums

Something like this off of your cymbal stand.

This is the AC910. I have a few of these kicking around. This is exactly what you need. This is what comes with some of Mapex's Saturn shell packs.

iontheable

This is the AC910. I have a few of these kicking around. This is exactly what you need. This is what comes with some of Mapex's Saturn shell packs.
Awesome, thanks sticks!

So, I'll still need some L-rods to to unify the clamp and tom holder, correct?

Thanks again!

S

sticks4drums

Yes. You will need two tom arms to go into the AC910's, that the toms will mount onto. I would recommend getting the Mapex ones. They are a ball and socket joints and are really well made. They have long L-arms on them so that you can have the tom mounted without the tom arm sitting right in front of it like the Yamaha mount is.

iontheable

Yes. You will need two tom arms to go into the AC910's, that the toms will mount onto. I would recommend getting the Mapex ones. They are a ball and socket joints and are really well made. They have long L-arms on them so that you can have the tom mounted without the tom arm sitting right in front of it like the Yamaha mount is.
Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but would you mind providing a link? For th L-arm that is, I can't seem to find them with the ball and socket.

Want to reiterate my appreciate sticks, this is going to complete my awesome kit :)

Well, cymbals will be the final touch..but those will take some time to acquire..

**edit**

Are you referring to these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mapex-TH684-Tom-Holder-106386683-i1396938.gc

iontheable

Thanks sticks!

Ya, that's the one I assumed you're referring to, I am going to have to find an alternative though.

That is just too expensive, no matter how awesome.

Two arms: $120
Two clamps: $50

After shipping I'm looking at $200, I am sure I am find something that will work adequately enough, for half the price.

S

sticks4drums

Thanks sticks!

Ya, that's the one I assumed you're referring to, I am going to have to find an alternative though.

After shipping I'm looking at $200, I am sure I am find something that will work adequately enough, for half the price.
The arms should only be 35 bucks. Gibralter makes the same kind of tom arm. They may be cheaper. I just know that the Mapex ones work very well. I have about 20 of them. :)

iontheable

The arms should only be 35 bucks. Gibralter makes the same kind of tom arm. They may be cheaper. I just know that the Mapex ones work very well. I have about 20 of them. :)
Heh, well I'm only seeing them for $50-60

If you want to sell a couple, let me know ;)

Trilogy72

Thanks sticks!

I got two Tama tom mounts to use on my new Meridian and they work great! I took out the L-arm that it came with the Tama mounts and used the ones from the Mapex bass drum tom mounts. Cost me about $27 per mount.

Hope this helps you out!

Here is the link: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-MTH900AS-Short-Tom-Mount-100773761-i1135258.gc

Attachments

S

sticks4drums

You are pushing it telling him to use Tama tom arms with his Mapex toms, but don't you dare tell him to use a square rack. I will loose it. :)

Trilogy72

You are pushing it telling him to use Tama tom arms with his Mapex toms, but don't you dare tell him to use a square rack. I will loose it. :)
Well I guess I shouldn't tell you that I will soon be getting a Pearl ICON rack for my Mapex drums with Tama tom arms and Tama boom arms....