"New" ludwig throw off

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Yep, it's really nice. The first version a few years ago had a few issues, but the current long-lever version is sweet!

DrumDoug

Why do some P85s not seem to be a problem? Even though my drum is a ‘71 model it had a early 90s replacement P85. I have to tighten it between every song. I even tried the trick of putting a small spring on it to add some tension and friction. Other people say theirs works fine. What’s up with that?

cbphoto

Gold Member
I don’t play any Ludwig snares, but by 2020 I thought Ludwig Inc. would have come out with a new throw-off/butt plate by now. DW has that really cool magnetic throw-off, and Tama has their dial-it-in “linear drive”. Yammy & Pearl have their own Unique designs. Sonor too. Time for Ludwig to hit a home run with a new design.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
What kingd of issues had the first version Bermuda?
The initial version had a short lever that sat even with the top of the tension knob, so it wasn't quite as easy to grab. Not a problem if you don't fiddle with the throwoff a lot when playing. I get through several gigs without lowering the wires, so it's not a problem for me on my snares with that version.

However, the tension knob has detents to keep it from loosening while playing. A smart idea, except it was a pretty tight fit and wouldn't turn unless you lowered the wires. Adjustments were a back & forth procedure: lower, turn, raise, test... repeat. Granted, if you don't adjust the tension a lot it's not a big deal, and you could be sure that the wires would never loosen!

The updated throw has fixed both of those issues, and the tension knob detents are a little gentler and the knob is easier to grip for adjustments with the wires in place while you check the sound. And it still holds them firm without loosening.

Bermuda

PedroAhets

The initial version had a short lever that sat even with the top of the tension knob, so it wasn't quite as easy to grab. Not a problem if you don't fiddle with the throwoff a lot when playing. I get through several gigs without lowering the wires, so it's not a problem for me on my snares with that version.

However, the tension knob has detents to keep it from loosening while playing. A smart idea, except it was a pretty tight fit and wouldn't turn unless you lowered the wires. Adjustments were a back & forth procedure: lower, turn, raise, test... repeat. Granted, if you don't adjust the tension a lot it's not a big deal, and you could be sure that the wires would never loosen!

The updated throw has fixed both of those issues, and the tension knob detents are a little gentler and the knob is easier to grip for adjustments with the wires in place while you check the sound. And it still holds them firm without loosening.

Bermuda
Thanks for answering B!

Justinhub2003

My issue with the p85AC was you had to disengage the snares to tighten the tension.
And the Knob was borderline painful to turn

my copperphonic came with a p85AC and I quickly swapped it for a p88AC

that said, My black beauty with brass tube lugs and die cast hoops came with the millennium throw off and I love it too. It feels old school and vintage. I really like it

pbldrum

Just wanna say how happy i am that ludwig has redesigned the p85 throw off.... the New one is amazing, super solid and silent.
It took them long enough! I've never had a P85 that worked properly. They always jam when I raise the snares. Need two hands to do the job. Anybody know a fix for that?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
It took them long enough! I've never had a P85 that worked properly. They always jam when I raise the snares. Need two hands to do the job. Anybody know a fix for that?
Oil. It has always been the fix. P-85's have to have lubrication on the metal or they stick.

ALotSirSwings

how do you like the p86? I'm looking to replace the p83 I have on an acrolite. I like the look of the 86, but I feel like the price tag is a bit too much though.
It’s pretty nice. Took me a super long time to get the snare tight enough but now that I have it all set up it runs really smoothly! However I did not know the new p85 existed when I bought my 86. Might have looked at that if I knew because the p86 was definetly more expensive than I bargained for

It’s pretty nice. Took me a super long time to get the snare tight enough but now that I have it all set up it runs really smoothly! However I did not know the new p85 existed when I bought my 86. Might have looked at that if I knew because the p86 was definetly more expensive than I bargained for

thanks! I actually just ordered the p88. after looking at some pictures of the 86 on acrolites I just don't think it looks that great. they look much better on the deeper snares I think.