New Ludwig Element Birch Icon Drum Kit

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
https://youtu.be/JPA3JdnoJ2M

Here's a video of my new gig kit (12"mt,14"sd,16"ft,22"bd). I still need to get a clutch for my hi-hats, so I don't have those up yet, and I need another cymbal stand for my crash cymbal. Go easy on me.

It's a good sounding kit. Only $400. It's birch and that's why I got it. Very loud and nice tone. Everything arrived well packaged without any blemishes or defects. I'll have to upgrade to the thicker 2.3mm hoops, like I did on my Tama Rockstar Pro kit, but other than that, it's pretty cool! It even sounds nice with the stock heads. The bass drum sound is the biggest surprise in my book. I just put the stock heads on, tuned it really well, left it wide open (no pillow), and wow!!! What a nice sound. Maybe it's the garage or something, but it sounds great. I mean all things considered, I'm just imagining how this whole kit will sound when I put really good heads on the toms too. What would you guys suggest for birch? Right now, I'm thinking just simple Aquarian Classic Clears because I like the open sound I get from these drums.

I think the snare sounds OK. It wasn't too hard to get a decent sound out of it. Eventually, I'll put a Texture Coated Reverse Dot on the snare, but right now I have a coated Attack batter for it. It also needs a better strainer and better wires. Even a P-85 would be better, but I'll look for a P-86 to replace it with. That, and some Puresound 20-strand wires.

Last edited:
Quite nice, Milton! Even with the stock heads, that kit sounds very good, doesn't it? And $400? What a bargain. How much do you expect the refit to 2.3mm hoops will cost you? How about some good pics?

GeeDeeEmm

Quite nice, Milton! Even with the stock heads, that kit sounds very good, doesn't it? And $400? What a bargain. How much do you expect the refit to 2.3mm hoops will cost you? How about some good pics?

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks man. Yeah, I think they sound great. The GP kit I was using awhile ago sounded horrible with these kinds of heads (1-ply Attack) until I put muffling rings on them. So, I do have a point of reference to compare them too. These sound good even without the rings on them. I'm more than happy with the sound and tone. I think the hoops will cost between $60 & $80. The pics I took were from my cell phone and the lighting wasn't so good either. I'll have to get some batteries for my camera and take some good pics.

I have an Element Birch 5 pc 10-12-16-22 in Sunburst. I put response 2's on it with the stock reso's. Superkick 2 on the bass drum with standard Aquarian reso- 4" hole.

These kits are amazing for what they cost. I paid $600 for the shell pack with tom mounts included.
I don't use the snare because I have 2 acrolites that I prefer.
I get positive comments on the sound from musicians and non-musicians alike.

Your kit sounds great also- you may find the stock heads wear quickly.

Here's a few pics. Trying to make this thread a little more interesting. See my next orphan kit project in the background waiting for me to re-wrap it?

I have an Element Birch 5 pc 10-12-16-22 in Sunburst. I put response 2's on it with the stock reso's. Superkick 2 on the bass drum with standard Aquarian reso- 4" hole.

These kits are amazing for what they cost. I paid $600 for the shell pack with tom mounts included.
I don't use the snare because I have 2 acrolites that I prefer.
I get positive comments on the sound from musicians and non-musicians alike.

Your kit sounds great also- you may find the stock heads wear quickly.

Yeah, that's cool you use Aquarians on it. Exactly what I was thinking too. Response 2 or Classic Clears. Not sure yet if I want 2-ply or not. Yeah, I think a Superkick 2 would give it just the right amount of muffling for Rock music. I have a different snare too. My Pork Pie BoB is what I use for gigs. I keep an Acro with my Tama kit at the warehouse. It's nice to have a cheap wood snare to experiment with. I didn't even own a wood snare before, got rid of my last one. I'll fiddle with it. If I can get a good enough sound out of it, I might just keep it around. The sound and tone is not too bad as it is.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Nice kit Bon and it sounds pretty decent too... however, I was a little bit disappointed, I was expecting a little excerpt of Doby Mick going on in the clip :)

Nice kit Bon and it sounds pretty decent too... however, I was a little bit disappointed, I was expecting a little excerpt of Doby Mick going on in the clip :)

Thanks Henry! Doby Mick, huh? Alright man, next clip will be Doby Mick (the condensed/amateur version of Moby Dick).

Looking & sounding a whole lot more than you paid. Nice snag! :)
For sure, man. I was pleasantly surprised. I had my heart set on getting the new Tama Superstar, but this deal was too good to pass up because I've been chomping at the bit wanting to get a new intermediate kit.

Nice color too. I couldn't see it in the vid because of the low lighting.

Single ply would probably sound good too- Those birch shells just sound great. I went with coated response 2's- I think they warm it up a bit, and 2-ply should last a while.

Back