New Ludwig 8x14" Black Beauty/Copperphonic!

G

Ghostnote

Wow! Way to go Ludwig. About time. Prices are a bit crazy though. Why should either of those drums be more than $80-100 above the 6.5×14 models?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
On a promo picture model, you'd hope they'd put the grommet badge on straight.

G

Ghostnote

You realise you're talking about the company that can't figure out how to roll a curve into their badges so that the edges don't lift off the shell, right? Just one of the "endearing" qualities you learn to overlook if you're a Ludwig fan like me, lol.

pmancuso

You realise you're talking about the company that can't figure out how to roll a curve into their badges so that the edges don't lift off the shell, right? Just one of the "endearing" qualities you learn to overlook if you're a Ludwig fan like me, lol.

And put in on straight!

steverok

Silver Member
Looks cool, but I would have to be convinced this is at all necessary. What could this drum do that a 6.5" can't ? Just seems like a heavier, more-expensive version of what we have always had, that requires a different case, and, perhaps, a different snare stand.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I had a hard time getting used to the look of the 6.5 BB. Too much tension rod.

The 8" drum looks rediculous to me. I'd rather see it with mini classic lugs on that depth.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've been wondering when/if Ludwig would break from the standard 5 or 6.5" depth.

I think more shell is always a good thing in metal snares, and while I agree the amount of tension rod showing isn't quite to my liking either, more hardware mass would totally offset all of the sonic benefits of such a big shell.

BillBachman

Gold Member
Yup... Unfortunately I'm not surprised. Although, did the Portsmouth Drum Center store take the picture? Either way, a fancy high end snare (or any product you give a rip about for that matter) shouldn't have the badge on crooked.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Finally played both 8" Black Beauty and Copperphonic today at NAMM (where I am in charge of initial tuning, and making sure Ludwig's drums start each day tuned nicely.)

Whether or not you like a deeper snare, you would like these. They're complex, with a crisp yet meaty sound. truly the best of both a 5" and 8" rolled into one.

IMO, the Copperphonic is the better of the two snares, which is not to say the BB doesn't measure up... it's a GREAT snare. If you heard it and not the other, you'd be suitably impressed and a little surprised. But I think the Copperphonic is more desirable if you had to pick one of them.

I should add that I'm extremely impressed even with the stock Ludwig batter, a medium 1-ply. Can't wait to put my preferred Super Tough on!

Bermuda

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
I agree with Bermuda, the Copperphonic is the closest metal snare drum i've come across to a 1960 COB Super 400, and they are a benchmark..here's mine. No nasty grommets.

Last edited: