New live music video

Juniper

Gold Member
So back in November my band went to Mike Oldfields studio near London and entered sessions for our two next singles.

Over the last few days we released the first song digitally (iTunes/Spotify...etc) and today we released the separately recorded live video.

The recorded version took quite a few takes but this video and recording (done under even more pressure with cameras pointed at our faces throughout) was done on the third take. Funny how these things work out! Also a pleasure and learning experience to record with a live brass band for the first time.

YouTube link

https://youtu.be/-1yQ1SHPiI0

Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/TheAmberBugs/videos/1559599767460206/

Really pleased with how the drums ended up sounding like on this recording, even got to get out my Radio King 14 x 5.5 snare for this. Glad my arms are still intact after all those fast 16th note sections that weekend also.....

To anyone checking it out I hope you enjoy it. Welcome any feedback, positive or negative.

Thank you for your time

Jon

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I love the frivolity of the piece, juxtaposition to the message delivering lyric - sets it apart from the vernacular & encourages you to take a deeper listen. Sure has a very identifiable delivery, & that's often a recipe for notoriety. I hope this does well for you Jon :)

Juniper

Gold Member
I love the frivolity of the piece, juxtaposition to the message delivering lyric - sets it apart from the vernacular & encourages you to take a deeper listen. Sure has a very identifiable delivery, & that's often a recipe for notoriety. I hope this does well for you Jon :)

Thanks again Andy, very kind of you!

It's gotten some good online reviews so far, but regardless of how it does for the band in terms of exposure we really had a lot of fun that weekend together and learnt a lot of new things from the additional musicians and engineer.

That's the highlight for me. Next single from this session should be out in a couple months.

Juniper

Gold Member
Very different song. I like it. The ska type part with the horns was really catchy too. Excellent drum sounds.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out, really pleased you liked it.

From memory, the snare and bass drum were the only drums with mics on them (with other mic just on top of the bass drum facing me) our engineer used the Glyn Johns method on the overheads but they all come across really big and fat.

Interesting technique and very pleased with how it ended up.

Erberderber

Just watched it twice. Nice raw no frills performance. And yes, the cameras must have been right in your face, which I would've found slightly unsettling. Looks like it was a great experience for you and something to take on board. Looking forward to the next one.

Juniper

Gold Member
Just watched it twice. Nice raw no frills performance. And yes, the cameras must have been right in your face, which I would've found slightly unsettling. Looks like it was a great experience for you and something to take on board. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for checking it out - Twice!

The drum arrangements aren’t that complex and there are a few returning parts as I made a decision to try and sit back mostly, simply as there’s a lot going on with the other instruments (especially the vocals and brass).

We did originally have another version with more frantic parts but after the first rehearsal with the brass players in the weeks leading up to the session it very quickly became apparent that the things needed to be stripped back and simplified, without loosing the energy almost.

Thanks again for your words, much appreciated!