New kit tom tree dilemma

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Will you be gigging with this kit? Whether or not I drilled a kick would depend on if I intended to gig a lot with it. The advantage of a tom "tree" is consistency and ease of set-up and tear down. If the kit stays set up at home or is gigged only occasionally I would just use stands. Unless your desire for the tree is beyond the practical side of things and you prefer the look as well. In that case I would just drill it and be done with it. I've read some stories about that Atlas thing coming loose all the time. And it's such a huge hunk of metal.

Superman

Gold Member
This is a bit off topic from the double tom tree mount aspect but if you're looking for high end maple kits ($2000-2500 range), I have to throw these out there.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mapex-Black-Panther-White-Widow-Limited-Edition-Drum-Set-/302013326374?hash=item465165a426:g:h-kAAOSwRJ9Xhnpf

They're a couple hundred less than the Ludwig and you get two floor toms. Plenty of finish options too......."Would you like white, or white?" LOL

Seriously, I have the black widow and wholeheartedly recommend them. I played a DW Collectors 5 days before I bought these. Never looked back.

Anyway, good luck with your search and post plenty of pics!!
Thanks Jim. I can get the Ludwigs for less than half price from someone I know who bought them and doesn't want them. They are still in boxes and new. So that is why I am really considering them.

The DWs look more polished though. The Ludwigs are more minimalist. Are you looking at natural finish in both?
They are black oyster pearl. No choice in color, but I actually really like that finish anyway. My only hangup is the hanging tom situation.

Will you be gigging with this kit? Whether or not I drilled a kick would depend on if I intended to gig a lot with it. The advantage of a tom "tree" is consistency and ease of set-up and tear down. If the kit stays set up at home or is gigged only occasionally I would just use stands. Unless your desire for the tree is beyond the practical side of things and you prefer the look as well. In that case I would just drill it and be done with it. I've read some stories about that Atlas thing coming loose all the time. And it's such a huge hunk of metal.
No gigging. I don't gig these days, but even if I did, I'd probably gig my Starclassic since they were bought used and have a couple slight dings. This would be a stay at home kit. I just never hung the toms and it seems like it would affect my cymbal placement and just be awkward. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger on this deal and just dealing with the tom issue. I also need to sell my Sonor 3005 set in order to not get divorced. :)

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
As long as you're using boom stands cymbal placement should not be hampered. If you clamp the toms to the second tier that leaves the upper section of the stand free to be adjusted without affecting the tom placement. I have a kit set up at home with a virgin kick and once everything is placed as I like it I don't have to mess with it unless I want to. Like I said this is only a pain if you're constantly setting up and tearing down. Not an issue at all at home.

Superman isn't married is he? ;)

Superman

Gold Member
As long as you're using boom stands cymbal placement should not be hampered. If you clamp the toms to the second tier that leaves the upper section of the stand free to be adjusted without affecting the tom placement. I have a kit set up at home with a virgin kick and once everything is placed as I like it I don't have to mess with it unless I want to. Like I said this is only a pain if you're constantly setting up and tearing down. Not an issue at all at home.

Superman isn't married is he? ;)
Stupid question, do I have to buy Ludwig clams or are they universal? I don't own any and I'm assuming they don't come with the shell pack.

And sure he is, he married Lois Lane. ;)

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
No they don't have to be Ludwig but the kit should come with holders that clamp onto stands. Probably one of those clamp with a ball arm integrated into it type things. Also made by Gibraltar, DW/PDP etc. If you have to buy them obviously just make sure of your L-arm diameters.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ludwig+tom+clamp&client=tablet-android-alco&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirzeeBvePSAhUJ4YMKHe6mBDYQ_AUIBygB&biw=1368&bih=768#imgrc=pbBzcGQ4rCof0M:

I didn't know they got married.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Your bass drum is 22 x 18. The Saturn 4 bass drum mount would fit that. The only ? is if the hole spacing would line up. I betcha you could get it to work with minimal tweaking because the Mapex lugs only need one hole. I paid $200. for mine. I think it's the best solution for a tom tree on a bass drum without a tom tree because you can take it back to factory painlessly.