New Kit Size HELP!

A

adamteasdale1407

I'm after a new Gretsch kit.
My local drum shop has two really nice kits. One has the following configuration: 22, 12, 16 and the other 24, 13, 18.
What are the pros and cons of both? I play all kinds of music.

I think either kit would serve you well. Me I like bigger drums so the 24/13/18 kit would be my choice.

Yeah, I was a little confused when it came to the 24/13/18 and whether that would serve me well for jazz but then I remembered some of the old big band, swing drummers used bigger drums!

Probably not 18" floor toms though...I love big drums but I'd hesitate to get just an 18" floor tom. For versatility, I'd go for the 22/12/16. And I play 24/12/13/16/18!

The Catalinas are great drums in the large sizes, but in less you get in to a swing band and not just jazz, I would opt for the smaller 22, 12 16

I'm all about versatility, so I would go with the "smaller" sizes...which are more standard than they are small, IMO.

I agree, I would go with 22/12/16 for versatility (and indeed a little easier to transport, haha)

Gretsch Catalinas are great!

Probably not 18" floor toms though...I love big drums but I'd hesitate to get just an 18" floor tom. For versatility, I'd go for the 22/12/16. And I play 24/12/13/16/18!

Actually ,Gene Krupa and Louis Bellson just to name a few used 18 and 20" floor toms at one time.

Steve B

Back