New kit selection - Gretsch purewood wenge?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on your new kit! I'm curious to know if my predictions about it's sound were close? BTW, two ply tom batter heads with a single ply bass drum batter head makes perfect sense to me :)

uniongoon

Gold Member
I admit I do not know much about the Gretsch Wenge kit. I would think it is a standard maple ply shell with a outer ply of Wenge? I can't see Gretsch going all in and having a 100% Wenge shell constructed. anyone know for sure?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I admit I do not know much about the Gretsch Wenge kit. I would think it is a standard maple ply shell with a outer ply of Wenge? I can't see Gretsch going all in and having a 100% Wenge shell constructed. anyone know for sure?
It's all wenge plies.........

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Nope. All of the Purewood series are Purewood. Walnut, Ash, Wenge, all the way through

gramps

The kit does has great attack more birch like than maple but I feel it is naturally deeper than maple but not as bright as birch the lows are seriously impressive, in my opinion anyway so far I haven't got to experiment to much with them yet but they are exactly what I was going for.

uniongoon

Gold Member
Thanks Andy and Grunt, that is pretty cool and impressive. Have always been a fan of Gretsch, but that has faded over the years somewhat. Good to see they are striving to produce quality amid the corporate struggle to stay competitive.

8Mile

Platinum Member
The Renown kits are third on the Gretsch pecking order behind the USA Custom and the New Classics. I own a set of Renown and feel you won't be disappointed. The Wenge will have a different sound than my maple but I have not heard them, nor have I heard the Pearls. Check www.musiciansfriend.com and see if they still have the Wenge in their mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdHurnsCrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQzBd-1UOgc
The sound of the drums in the second clip is impressive. That's not a sound I would personally go for, but it represents something a lot of players would love to have.

The drummer in the first clip is the world's fastest drummer!

SteveG

Congrats mate! I think I may have played the kit when it was briefly set up in the store, I even retuned the 10” which was a little uneven to my ear, and it absolutely SANG! GREAT KIT!
I’m lucky enough to have the Purewood 9 ply Bubinga shell kit which was issued in 2008 and is also one of only 2 in Australia I believe, and I love it. It has all the fantastic attack of my Gretsch maple drums, but there’s a deeper fundamental note with these, something that really comes across with the kick and floor toms. That said, despite gigging with it several times a week I’m still using the original Evans heads some 10 years later, and I’m looking forward to replacing the over-damped Evans mead on the kick drum with a PS3 and maybe try some Emporers or coated pinstripes on the toms, though both floor toms still sound incredible..
I hope you’ll be happy enough with those beautiful Wenge’s to wanna keep ‘em for life - I won’t part with these bubinga’s👍