New kit day: DW Frequent Flyer, Tobacco Burst.

joshvibert

Recently I made a change in the kit at my church. My wife delivered our third child which provided me with an opportunity to listen to the kit from the audience perspective. I was not thrilled with what I heard. The kit was an MCX in Black Sparkle Fade in sizes 9x12, 16x16, and 18x22 with a 5.5x14 snare. What I heard was all attack with very little tone. The kit was in a booth and close mic'd. Unfortunately lack of dampening treatment of the acrylic booth only exascerbated the attack problem. My solution was to remove the booth and replace the kit with my MIJ Kit as pictured in my signature below. For the snare, I chose a vintage Acrolite with upgraded hoops, wires, and IndE throw. I did some swapping around with the cymbals and hardware as well. The new drum sound is getting rave reviews from church leadership and members alike. My initial plan was for this to be a temporary stopgap until I sold the church's MCX kit and replaced it with something similar to my MIJ kit. However, after shopping for two months I have come up empty and been unable to find something in decent condition that would sound similar (Warm, round, less projection); at least in the pricepoint of what the MCX's would bring. Finally, I concluded that I would bequeath my gear to the church and replace it with the proceeds from the MC X kit. That leads me to the topic and purpose of this thread:

I was able to score a used/like new DW Frequent Flyer from Guitar Center online for $750 ($835 after taxes and shipping). I still have my Broken Glass Collectors kit, but most of my gigs nowadays are jazz/R&B. Through the MIJ kit I have come to appreciate the smaller 14 x 20 bass drum for gigging purposes. I briefly considered simply ordering a matching 14 x 20 broken glass bass drum from DW, but that was a $1000 proposition. For that amount of money, I figured I could score an entire kit in smaller sizes and not have to mess with different heads/tuning for various gigs. The Frequent Flyer kit serves this purpose well and looks and sounds great while doing so; especially at this price!

I plan to set it up in the coming weeks with coated Ambassadors top and bottom on the toms, Coated PS3 batter and Fiberskyn reso with logo on the kick. When they arrived I just inspected them for damage and did a quick and dirty tune with the included heads. I'm blown away by the tone and volume, especially on the kick. I guess I was expecting them to sound flimsy or something given the smaller sizes, but there's no depth lacking in the tone. I could play Zep on these!

Kids approve too:

charliedrummer

Thanks for providing us with a nice review and great photos! I pre-ordered a Frequent Flyer in white onyx when they were first introduced. The deliver date kept getting pushed back and after about 9 months of waiting, I foolishly cancelled my order. I say foolishly because that finish, which looked so classy, is no longer available. This kit is still on my radar, especially after seeing one positive review after another. I do wish there were a few more finish options available, although the cherry stain is currently my favorite. Enjoy your new kit!

joshvibert

Thanks for providing us with a nice review and great photos! I pre-ordered a Frequent Flyer in white onyx when they were first introduced. The deliver date kept getting pushed back and after about 9 months of waiting, I foolishly cancelled my order. I say foolishly because that finish, which looked so classy, is no longer available. This kit is still on my radar, especially after seeing one positive review after another. I do wish there were a few more finish options available, although the cherry stain is currently my favorite. Enjoy your new kit!
Thanks! I'm hoping to get an interface soon so I can put up some decent sounds and show folks how good/versatile these can sound.

thebarak

Congratulations. Give all of the supplied original heads a chance before you rush to replace them.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Congrats, they look great.
I used to own a WMP kit of these - and the guy I sold them to just brought them to an all-night jam with about 50-60 local musicans, they sounded great.
The stock heads aren't too bad, esp. the kick heads.

Enjoy!

rdb

I bought the same thing (Frequent Flyer in Tobacco Burst) to serve as the house kit at my company. The experienced drummers at my company who have played it all have been very favorably impressed.