New kick pedal not sitting correctly

J-Moe

Anyone else ever experience this?

I just bought a DW3000, which obviously has the footboard on the bottom. When I attach the pedal to the rim of my kick drum, everything is uneven. The heel of the pedal is significantly off the floor (probably a 1/2 inch or more) and the kick drum itself is not sitting on the floor the way it used to. The rug under my setup is thin, so it's not like the plushness of the rug is causing this. I've always used a pedal with two steel rods as the base, so this was never an issue. The DW feels fine when I play it, but I'm concerned about doing damage to my new Gretsch kit that's on its way.

DrumWild

I'm wondering about the length of the legs on the bass drum, and how high up they're lifting the front of the bass drum.

Can you post photos?

J-Moe

Here are some crappy pics. You can see how my finger easily fits under the heel of the pedal. Also, the beater is centered perfectly on the batter side. The kick is not raised up off the floor at all; the hoops are touching the floor. Interested to hear any thoughts.

Attachments

SYMBOLIC DEATH

Does your pedal have the adjustable hoop clamp? I vaguely remember my dw 5000 doing that, but I can't remember how I fixed it. I haven't had those pedals in about 15 years, so I could be way off.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
On my 18x22 bass drum, I'll sit it on a hard floor and pre-position the spurs so that the front BD hoop is off the floor enough that I can get my fingers under the hoop - this ends up being around 1.5" to 1.75" inches. I also check to see that it's set-up evenly (one spur isn't longer than the other).

Then I take my pedal (DW5000 with plate) and slide it onto the batter hoop, centering it on the part of the hoop that still allows the pedal to be flat on the floor. I notice sometimes if I start tightening the wing nut for the pedal on the hoop, it'll raise the heel some. I counter this by lifting the batter side of the bass drum a little while tightening that wing nut so that doesn't happen. Usually at that point, the pedal is nicely in place and stays flat on the floor.

A good idea when you get your new bass drum, when you find that spot where the pedal fits nicely on the hoop, apply some skateboard grip tape to the top and bottom of the hoop. It gives the top clamp something to grip on to (believe it or not, without the grip tape, I've slammed the bass drum hard enough to fly off of the pedal while playing - even when I'm on a rug). Having the grip tape on the bottom helps the bottom of the pedal frame grip as well since metal to hardwood has no give at all, making it able to slip around.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I had a Gibraltar G Class pedal that did this. There wasn't a fault or issue visible and I simply couldn't get it to sit flat. In the end I sold it on, a Pearl Demonator pedal with a broadly similar flat baseplate took its place and has fitted without any issues.
There probably is a way to solve it and I'm hesitant to put it down to being one of those things, but after weeks of tweaking the G Class pedal I put it down to one of those things!

hippy chip

Silver Member
I just looked at the pics again, and re-read the whole thread. You said the beater is centered---is the hoop clamp centered?

I have fixed this issue before by using a little spacer/packer in between the hoop and the clamp. From top down it goes Clamp, Spacer/Packer, Hoop.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member

I just bought a DW3000, which obviously has the footboard on the bottom. When I attach the pedal to the rim of my kick drum, everything is uneven. The heel of the pedal is significantly off the floor (probably a 1/2 inch or more) and the kick drum itself is not sitting on the floor the way it used to. The rug under my setup is thin, so it's not like the plushness of the rug is causing this. I've always used a pedal with two steel rods as the base, so this was never an issue. The DW feels fine when I play it, but I'm concerned about doing damage to my new Gretsch kit that's on its way.
check out this older thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136329
May or may not help, but you're not alone!

This problem gets questioned about every 4.38 months here on DW

The back of the kick drum/front of the pedal (batter hoop contact point) is nose diving into the carpet and lifting up the back of the pedal. Shag carpet, probably a bunch of thick padding under it too. Cushy rug means pedal doesn't stay flat.

Mrjazzery

I came to this thread earlier looking for an answer my pedal is doing the same thing it’s not the pedal it’s the revs from Avenged Sevenfold he gave it to me and I haven’t change the setting since It Was given to me it.I recently purchased a pearl export and it wasn’t sitting properly I then I was very frustrated and tried all the techniques carpet no carpet adjusted the Legs of the bass drum all of that stuff and then realize that it was the spikes at the front of the bass pedal it has two springs and a screw with spikes on the end and I decompressed them taking all the tension out of the spring and now it sits flush Carpet has nothing to do with this issue

NouveauCliche

This is and hoop damage is why I use a Dixson (I guess now Evans) bass drum lift.

Your pedal attaches to the lift rather than your bass drum - and the lift goes underneath the drum right behind the hoop.

I think it feels solid - no hoop damage - they say it make the bass drum sound more full, etc. - puts the beater in a sweet spot - I love the thing. I've had mine for nearly 7 years and it's been completely road worthy. I bought a spare at the same time just in case - but I've never needed it!

Attachments