New-ish to drumming

felonious69

I am a guitar player. I have always loved the drums. With all the recent never going anywhere I found I had a fair amount of spare money! I already kind of made her mad when I bought a 76 key keyboard, so I didn't wanna do that again, so I bought a Pearl Roadshow 5 pc with a 22" kick. I am 55 (same as my IQ) Male, ALWAYS LOVED the hammering of Bonzo! I know that all drummers position their set to their own preference. All the pictures I've seen of this set show the two hole tom mount (which is 4 inches from one head and almost 8 from the other) set up with the throne on the 8 inch side. Trying to get "my" setup, like this, the snare is way further from the 10" tom, as is the floor tom from the 12". Ideally I would like a uniform distance between the drums. I was thinking that if I reversed the bass heads and placed the 4" side as closer to the throne I could better achieve this. Sound-wise, would this make a difference? Side note: I also bought the Drum Dial and that helped a lot! (never tuned a drum before). Side note 2: I also bought a 6. 8, 10 roto tom set and have NO CLUE how to tune those. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get kinda good, maybe she can get kinda un-mad?

cbphoto

Gold Member
I already kind of made her mad when I bought a 76 key keyboard, so I didn't wanna do that again, so I bought a Pearl Roadshow 5 pc with a 22" kick.
ROFL

Thank you, felonious, I needed that.

Tuning root-toms: place head on rim and center it. Place hoop over head and thread in each rod (lubricate threads with light oil if needed). Finger tighten each rod, going in a starfish pattern (not around the circle/hoop). Use the roto action to get the desired pitch. Play them well for Her and get extra points.

felonious69

Got a good damper technique for rotos? I am getting like a "ring" sound and I think I want more of a "crack" sound, know what I mean?

C.M. Jones

Advise? I am a beginner drummer. Bought a Pearl Roadshow but the 16" crash/ride was bent. They are replacing it under warranty but What can I do with this one? I have access to saws/drills/machine shop.
If you're a beginner, use it to develop your technique. As it's already damaged, you won't need to worry about preserving it. It can become a crash-test dummy with no liability.

felonious69

I was wondering, pound it out?, drill large holes in it?, rivets? As I said it's being replaced and as you said crash test/experiment.

C.M. Jones

I was wondering, pound it out?, drill large holes in it?, rivets? As I said it's being replaced and as you said crash test/experiment.
I've been drumming thirty-six years and have never owned a cymbal in that condition. When you get the new one, compare its sound to that of the damaged one. If there's no discernable difference, I'd leave it as is. And if the difference is notable but minimal, I might leave it alone as well, just using it as a practice option. Once you gain experience, you won't be satisfied with the cymbals that accompany a Road Show kit. You'll be interested in upgrading pretty soon.

There's nothing wrong with a Road Show, by the way. The drums are great for beginners. It's the cymbals you'll soon find dissatisfactory.

wraub

I am a guitar player. I have always loved the drums. With all the recent never going anywhere I found I had a fair amount of spare money! I already kind of made her mad when I bought a 76 key keyboard, so I didn't wanna do that again, so I bought a Pearl Roadshow 5 pc with a 22" kick. I am 55 (same as my IQ) Male, ALWAYS LOVED the hammering of Bonzo! I know that all drummers position their set to their own preference. All the pictures I've seen of this set show the two hole tom mount (which is 4 inches from one head and almost 8 from the other) set up with the throne on the 8 inch side. Trying to get "my" setup, like this, the snare is way further from the 10" tom, as is the floor tom from the 12". Ideally I would like a uniform distance between the drums. I was thinking that if I reversed the bass heads and placed the 4" side as closer to the throne I could better achieve this. Sound-wise, would this make a difference? Side note: I also bought the Drum Dial and that helped a lot! (never tuned a drum before). Side note 2: I also bought a 6. 8, 10 roto tom set and have NO CLUE how to tune those. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get kinda good, maybe she can get kinda un-mad?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Welcome to the forum-we are a friendly eclectic bunch-and I'd shake your hand but I'm covered in Vaseline right now. They call me "Slick" here on the forum and I've never known why but that's how drummers "roll" on here. You've come to the right place for information-don't ask me but otherwise I'd say go for it. DW is an encyclopedic cornucopia of valuable information, sometimes hidden in a sea of disagreement and bullcrap but every oyster doesn't hold a pearl. Your going to learn a lot and have loads of fun.

Attachments

iCe

Regarding setting up your drums, check these out. There is another version of Dave Weckl discussing this, but can't seem to find it.
There is not really a wrong way to set up your drums, as long if its ergonomically and you feel comfortable.