New HQ studio footage with pro audio

Personally, I loved this. What KIS said, great power and precision in my very humble opinion. Also loved the sound of your drums, very FAT. (is that even the right way to describe it?) Could you give us some specs on your kit?

At the ripe old age of 46, I am trying to reinvent myself in this very fashion.

Thanks guys! Its nice to have some feedback from drummers, so thank you for your comments! My kit specs are...

Ludwig Classic Maple, 10x9, 12x10, 16x16, 22x16 and a Pearl Ian Paice signature snare. All Evans heads too, G2s batter, G1s resonant. All Sabian cymbals, and as far as the HiHats, 14" AAX on left side.

I used kind of a combination of cymbals for the secondary hats, 1 sabian 16" AA crash on bottom, a 14" china in the middle, and a 16" El Sabor Picante Hand crash on top. The mini china gives it a really "trashy" sound and the El Sabor crash is so thin and bright that it cuts through a little better. I kind of stole the idea from a drummer in LA named Toss Panos, the dude is a genius. He used a combination of cracked chinas as hi hats on a live album with Michael Landau and I just loved the sound so much that I stole the idea haha!

-Ralph

You can play but honestly don't you get bored playing the same single beat pattern? I hear no soul or feel it sounds and looks like drum gymnastics. Don't get me wrong young man as I said you have obvious talents but its wasted on an unemotional drum patterns. It sounds like a computer playing instead of a man. I know I'm not "getting" the type of music your doing but I know feel and I know emotion and other than straight ahead force theres nothing but single stroke power fills, and I'll bet you can do alot more. I could have said very fast and powerfull with good accurancy, and it was but I have to tell what I'm feeling too, best to you. Doc

You can play but honestly don't you get bored playing the same single beat pattern? I hear no soul or feel it sounds and looks like drum gymnastics. Don't get me wrong young man as I said you have obvious talents but its wasted on an unemotional drum patterns. It sounds like a computer playing instead of a man. I know I'm not "getting" the type of music your doing but I know feel and I know emotion and other than straight ahead force theres nothing but single stroke power fills, and I'll bet you can do alot more. I could have said very fast and powerfull with good accurancy, and it was but I have to tell what I'm feeling too, best to you. Doc

'same single beat pattern'? Did you even watch the video Doc?

Actually, that's a lot more finesse, groove and originality than I hear in most mainstream music. Good work!

To Kettles, no, the producer wont quantize anything. I made a point to refuse any beat doctor, quantizing, etc. I also refused to punch in to any tracks. Each track was done in one take all the way through. If I screwed up a take at the very end then I re-did the whole thing. That probably sounds like a massive waste of time, haha, but I just prefer it. I like that idea of recording...you sit down and do the whole song in a take, not section by section. Keep the human element, ya know? No sampling either, everything is raw. Old school! I did record everything to a click though...so that part wasn't too old school haha. If you want a copy of the demo when we finish then let me know, ill send it to you!

I'm using Tama Speed Cobras, which are awesome. I had the Trick Big Foot double pedal for a while and just didn't like the feel of em, great pedals...just not my style.

Thank you for your comments Doctor Dirt, constructive criticism was exactly what I was looking for by posting on here. I understand everything you had to say and agree with a large portion of it. I actually strive not to sound like a machine and I try to come up with something different for each little part....to play something that the average guy wouldn't play. Thank you for your comments, we all strive to grow as players and improve our weaknesses and the best way is to learn from our peers!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

-ralph

Back