New Gretsch Renown '57

NouveauCliche

Gretsch Released their "New for 2021" drums on the website - I already made a post about the Gergo and the Carlock snares ....but this was a surprise.

They dropped a new Renown 57. I had a 6 piece version of the original one that dropped in 2011.....amazing sounding and playing kit (though I got realllllll tired of that color, real fast). The new one is wild looking....I can't say that I love it honestly haha - and it has the 302 hoops, etc.

(I would consider buying one of the seafoam green ones though if one ever popped up)

In January, 2011, Gretsch went against the grain and conventional design by introducing Renown 57. The unique look thanks to its classic car colors and the Chevron logo immediately became a hit throughout the world and almost 10 years later we still receive order requests for them.

In response to the many requests, for only one year we are introducing a new breed in the coveted series: Renown 57 - Silver Oyster Pearl. The basis of the kit’s formula mimic’s today’s RN2 by adapting the 7-ply maple shell, 30 degree bearing edges, 302 hoops, silver sealer interiors, and Low Profile GTS system.

Today’s RN57 have bass drums with no mounts and traditional 14” depths, just what Gretsch enthusiasts often ask for. Both configurations are offered in our Silver Oyster Pearl Nitron.

Attachments

• Pearl 57.JPG
    Pearl 57.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 74
I don't like the look of those at all. Maybe very specific colors? A nice candy red or a canary yellow. But I'd lean a different direction for sure.

I was buying heads at local Music store and they had the white and blue-green one set up. Sharp looking kit for sho’ .it was something like $ 2600/2900 range as I recollect. I told salesman it would make a nice Xmas gift for me . He agreed so it must be fate to LOL

Whether you like the looks of the chevrons or not, many drummers got a great deal when these kits were being blown out at ridiculously low prices to get rid of the remaining inventory. Wait a year or two and you might find the same with this particular finish. I was not a big fan of the chevrons but they seemed more compatible with the blue, red, and seafoam green kits than the silver oyster.

I don't like the look of those at all. Maybe very specific colors? A nice candy red or a canary yellow. But I'd lean a different direction for sure.

Yea...everything about it kind of hits me wrong - especially the white hoops haha. Love my team Gretsch but I'm curious about how this came about haha.

I was buying heads at local Music store and they had the white and blue-green one set up. Sharp looking kit for sho’ .it was something like $ 2600/2900 range as I recollect. I told salesman it would make a nice Xmas gift for me . He agreed so it must be fate to LOL

I see people TRYING to sell those for a lot haha.

Cost of it when it was new? I bet you can guess!!

...($1,957)

The Chevron symbol has the vibe of a gimmick to me. What's next, fast-food shells in a grease-laden McDonald's wrap? I guess I'm just not into thematic drum finishes.

I'm sure those shells sound beautiful, however.

Last edited:
The Chevron symbol has the vibe of a DW gimmick to me. What's next, fast-food shells in a grease-laden McDonald's wrap? I guess I'm just not into thematic drum finishes.
I'm pretty sure this was the inspiration:

fda3d9cd558f4107e1e81c9fa7555ff5.jpg

Chevron, check. White accents enshrouded in chrome, check. 1957, check. American classic, check.

I agree, it's not for everyone. If this is the inspiration, I think they should stick with the original color combos.

I really liked the original version and could have picked one up real cheap a while ago - around $650 new on blowout sale for a bop kit.

I'm kind of on the fence about the new ones though. The color doesn't really work for me.

I'm pretty sure this was the inspiration:

View attachment 98873

Chevron, check. White accents enshrouded in chrome, check. 1957, check. American classic, check.

I agree, it's not for everyone. If this is the inspiration, I think they should stick with the original color combos.

I get the reference. I just think the wrap looks a lot better left alone. The Chevron becomes a giant drum badge. It's too conspicuous for me.

If I was in the market for one the 14” bass drum depth would be attractive however the removal of the bass drum mount for me is a backward step compared to the original Renown 57. Plus the purist in me agrees with MrInsanePolack that the colour was never a Chevy colour

Back