New Gretsch Catalina Club 2014 Finishes

Cleforo

Thomann.de is showing some new finishes for the Catalina Club series!

White Chocolate, Vintage Marine Pearl, Satin Flat Black and Satin Walnut Glaze.

Also some new finishes for the Catalina Maples!

When they're in stock, I'll try to get a Catalina Club Jazz in Vintage Marine Pearl. No pictures of that finish yet, but if it's the same as the New Classic Vintage Marine Pearl I'll have to have them!

Cleforo

Apparently at Thomann.de the "studio" configuration (20" bass drum) will have a 14" inch deep bass drum! And the "rock" is 24x14 as well!

I was going to get the Jazz configuration, but I think that the "Studio" configuration will be better, since it's the Progressive Jazz sizes!!

drummerjims

It almost makes me want another catalina club just so I can get one of those white chocolates. I think that would look good on even the highest priced drums.

charliedrummer

I'm really interested to see the Vintage White Marine Pearl finish. Several drum manufacturers have started to offer this as an option but the finish varies from one to another. I'm curious if it's the same as the Ivory Marine Pearl that is available on the New Classic bop kits.

drummerjims

when I was in high school we had a yamaha kit with almost that exact finish. I always loved the way it looked so I might like the white chocolate for nostalgia.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
White Chocolate is a good name for a finish. But I think the name is better than the finish itself:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_catalina_club_jazz_wc14.htm

I'm sure it'll be just right for a lot of people though.
Similar to an old English cream, & for that reason, I quite like it. Got to say though, amazing value for money. After shipping, various distribution & retail margins, duties etc, are taken into account, the actual production cost must be less than $300, & that includes all operating overheads, marketing, group profit, etc. So a materials/components, & labour cost of ? = Astounding! I wonder how many they make?

larryz

Platinum Member
A local store here in the US is blowing out those kits. I asked what's up, and they said it was to make room for new finishes. He didn't say what those finishes were though - nor did I ask.
And good time to take advantage of this. This time last year I got my Gretsch bop 57 Renowns w/snare for $750 and free shipping. I'm still a happy little kid thinking of what a great deal I got on those..

And they had to friggen put the round badges on the Catalinas now just to drive us crazy. Something about round badges. They're like catnip to a feline.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I would love to be able to get the walnut or matte black in the club classic 20x14 size.
Looks like they'll be available - if this is any indication.

20 x 14 in Satin Walnut Glaze:

http://www.bax-shop.nl/drumstel/gretsch-drums-ct1-j404-swg-catalina-club-2014-satin-walnut-glaze/product-details.html

Satin Flat Black - 20 x 14:

http://www.bax-shop.nl/drumstel/gretsch-drums-ct1-j404-fb-catalina-club-2014-satin-flat-black/product-details.html

And good time to take advantage of this. This time last year I got my Gretsch bop 57 Renowns w/snare for $750 and free shipping. I'm still a happy little kid thinking of what a great deal I got on those..

And they had to friggen put the round badges on the Catalinas now just to drive us crazy. Something about round badges. They're like catnip to a feline.
A blowout price on the Catalinas doesn't approach the Renown deal you got. But still - not bad.

And ya - some of those new kit pics have round badges.

EDIT: but - the badge doesn't make the drum. Unless it's a Mapex Saturn, of course.

Last edited:

ydalen

Hi

Here you see i picture of my new 2014 Catalina Jazz kit, Satin Walnut Glaze colour. I only had it for 2 days but i think its a very great set for the money. The colour of the set its very beautiful, very nice. The satin finish on this set looks better than the satin finish on my DW collector from early 2000. So far i think the drums actually sounds very good, but i think I´ll replace the drumheads with some new Remo´s or Evans. If I work on my tunings and use right heads I think these drums can be used in a lot of different situations.

Yngve, Norway

Attachments

Last edited: