New Gloryhammer song

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Hi guys. This is the first track we've (officially) released from the new Gloryhammer album 'Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards'. It's something a bit different for us, and actually presented unusual drumming challenges that were nevertheless of a very...orthodox nature, shall we say. I gained a further appreciation for Phil Rudd's playing after tracking this one.

Gloryhammer - Universe On Fire

Interested as ever to hear your thoughts.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Great track Ben, & working those relentless fast 16's whilst keeping everything else solid is certainly taxing. This will obviously split the genre centric Gloryhammer fans, but shaking things up a bit is never a bad thing. Conversations & opposing steadfast opinions create exposure :)

The only negative for me was the almost 70's disco treatment of the tom fill sound. For the "pop averse", that's maybe a step too far. Personally, I would have added a lot more bite to those toms, & some more open sub weight + attack to the bass drum too - just to harden it all up a tad.

As always though, I'm a fan, & so pleased to be a witness to your success journey :)

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Great song title, Ben - you can't get more epic than the whole universe on fire. But where do you go from there if aiming for the grandest grandiosity? The Multiverse of Frunobulax? Intergalactic Flame?

The song sounds like Eurodisco on steroids and amphetamines. I didn't think of the politics of it until reading Andy's post.

It got me laughing - the whole thing is too silly for words :). The band is as tight as a fish's posterior and your take sounds like a marvel of endurance. You're not gaining any weight, I assume :). Video graphics are great too.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Great track Ben, & working those relentless fast 16's whilst keeping everything else solid is certainly taxing. This will obviously split the genre centric Gloryhammer fans, but shaking things up a bit is never a bad thing. Conversations & opposing steadfast opinions create exposure :)

The only negative for me was the almost 70's disco treatment of the tom fill sound. For the "pop averse", that's maybe a step too far. Personally, I would have added a lot more bite to those toms, & some more open sub weight + attack to the bass drum too - just to harden it all up a tad.
I feel I ought to point out that after a lot of thought about how it was going to work, I decided it wouldn't sound very good to try and play that hi-hat pattern...having to switch so rapidly between a low accurate stroke on the hi-hat and a big loud stroke on the snare would have ended up a complete mess, and also wouldn't have been very idiomatic for a techno sound. So what you are hearing is a programmed hi-hat doing the techno pattern and me playing straight 8ths underneath, in order to get the best of both worlds.

I'm guessing the toms you're talking about are the ones going into the verses? Those are 100% programmed and we went for as retro a drum machine sound as we could possibly find, mostly to provoke the pop-averse.
Unless you mean the tom fills I did play, in which case there probably wasn't space in the mix for them to come through...competing with a high-gain guitar sound, full orchestral arrangement, and enough synths for an actual techno track, something inevitably has to get buried!

The bass drum sound is largely the same as the rest of the album, which was a deliberate choice...this is a one-off on the album, and we didn't want to stray too far from a metal sound palette, just augment it with a few unexpected extras. There is an electronic kick blended in in the choruses though, for a bit more energy. As I say, the rest of the album is much more what you'd expect from us. There is another track out there actually, if you're interested - Legend of the Astral Hammer.

Great song title, Ben - you can't get more epic than the whole universe on fire. But where do you go from there if aiming for the grandest grandiosity? The Multiverse of Frunobulax? Intergalactic Flame?

The song sounds like Eurodisco on steroids and amphetamines. I didn't think of the politics of it until reading Andy's post.

It got me laughing - the whole thing is too silly for words :). The band is as tight as a fish's posterior and your take sounds like a marvel of endurance. You're not gaining any weight, I assume :). Video graphics are great too.
Agreed on all points except for taking credit for those hi-hats, which I cannot do as outlined above. Eurodisco on steroids was the plan, pretty much. Because why not?