New favorite way to impress students' parents

Arky

Platinum Member
I'm noticing my guesses as to tempo have become quite good lately. Sometimes I'm thinking of songs I know well as tempo reference, sometimes I'm just "listening" to how my hands or feet feel when I'm playing (rather: practicing) the drums - when playing doubles on the feet I pretty much know what tempo it is ;-)

I might have impressed my niece a few weeks ago - we played with a click, I set one up at 130 or so bpm but had it muted. Then started playing a single stroke roll at the tempo I was guessing, then switched on the click and was almost spot on. But my parents... completely don't care for accurate bpm guessing.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
I'm noticing my guesses as to tempo have become quite good lately. Sometimes I'm thinking of songs I know well as tempo reference, sometimes I'm just "listening" to how my hands or feet feel when I'm playing (rather: practicing) the drums - when playing doubles on the feet I pretty much know what tempo it is ;-)

Yup, this is an acquired ability, it comes with practice! I have never focused on it very much, so I'm not terribly good at it, but I'm generally within 10 bpm or so. I don't need a stopwatch to take my pulse when I'm running, haha.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Next time, do a barrel roll.

Chunky

Silver Member
I can tell you how NOT to impress them.

One kid I taught brought a daft talkboy thing with him, we ended up rapping with minor curse words.
I didn't think he'd play it to them....

Or the time I had an operation on my ass, they drilled a huge hole that need packing with gaus everyday by the district nurse.
What were the chances one of my pupils mams was the district nurse!

She had to prod my asshole and everything!

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
My two favorite ways to impress a student's parents...

1. When the kid is clamoring to get to the lesson, because lessons are so much fun.
2. When the kid is showing dramatic improvement over a short period of time.

...granted, most students I teach don't have a hard-working temperment, but I find that if I can get them excited about some aspect of drumming/practicing, then they become totally engaged, they practice a lot, look forward to lessons, and get better quicker. THEN their parents are truly impressed! BAM!!!

LukeSnyder

Gold Member

1. When the kid is clamoring to get to the lesson, because lessons are so much fun.

...granted, most students I teach don't have a hard-working temperment, but I find that if I can get them excited about some aspect of drumming/practicing, then they become totally engaged, they practice a lot, look forward to lessons, and get better quicker. THEN their parents are truly impressed! BAM!!!

This is of course far more important, my main post was mainly facetious :D It was just something that happened in the course of conversation and that I found funny, haha.

Chunky

Silver Member

That's a good point. Any parent would be impressed by there kid being eager to get to lessons. They'd also feel better about coughing up the money for them too.
Also if you get on well with the pupil and the parents that will go in your favour too.

And of course jedi tricks like engine bpm won't do any harm either!

A

Anthony Amodeo

I've never made an effort to impress my students parents...but recently we have been preparing for this years recital where I play guitar along with them while they play a song of their choice that we have been working on

so during this years preparation I have been bringing the Macbook to the studio, recording our progress and sending them home with a CD or just emailing them a file of their improvements just about every week

the parents really seem to be loving it, and the kids are learning tons from hearing themselves play well and learning from their mistakes that they hear on the CD

one girl and I are working on Jeff Buckleys Last Goodbye....her dad heard it and wanted to come in and sing it...it was hilarious...she really plays it so well, and she is 10

I have 55 students and 28 of them are playing the recital.....thats 28 songs to learn on guitar......I have most of them down, but with my schedule outside of teaching it adds a lot to my plate

these parents better appreciate it :)

good times

Chunky

Silver Member
"And everything"?!

Where do you go after that?

Wait, don't answer that.

Haha yeah, it's probably best that I don't. Lets just say I payed dearly for taking all that money from her!

And gvdadrummasum, wow! that is serious dedication. Good on you though, your pupils definitely get their moneys worth!