New Evans heads?

Tom and snare heads should ship in June/July. As far as a good reso to pair with the Calftones, I like the sound of Genera Resos and G12s most though I still need to try them with the J1 Etched.

Would a coated G1 be a good option for a reso with the Calftone heads?

I'm thinking the reso should be a Calftone as well. need to know thicknesses of what's on offer though.

Im gonna give em a try for sure.
I will try them on my 50's 3 ply Gretsch kit.

Would a coated G1 be a good option for a reso with the Calftone heads?

I highly recommend the Evans Reso 7 paired with these. You get a really warm and focused sound.

I'm thinking the reso should be a Calftone as well. need to know thicknesses of what's on offer though.
... For Snare and Tom = 7.5 Calftone Material + 7 Film. For Bass Batter Heads = 7.5 Calftone Material + 12 Material Film. Had spoken with an Evans representative!!

Every time I put a new Reso head on my 18" Gretsch Catalina Natural Satin kick, with Emad & pillow, it has to be fiddled with, to get rid of lots of overtones. No so in the case of the Evans '56 Calftone I just put on it.

I put the head on, finger tight, then put 1/4 turn on all the lugs.

Perfect "Thump", only slightly longer than NO resonance.
Unbelievable!
For me, that is a good thing.

I don't like cutting a hole in my reso head, it kills the tone for live, unmic'd use.
So this seems perfect for both mic'd and unmic'd...though I haven't gigged it yet.
I'll post followup.

Hearing that sound, I ordered Calftone's for my 12 & 14" toms.
Will try as a reso first, then as batter if it doesn't somewhat replicate what I hear on the kick.

Back