New Evans EC2 SST Drumheads!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Since GC fails to provide a description, I can tell you that Evans' goal is to make the heads sing better by adjusting the damping bands more to the size of the head. The foil bands were sized somewhat, but they've apparently dialed it in better now.

I beta-tested them, and really can't tell the difference from the original EC2 clear heads, which is to say, they sound great.

Bermuda

loved the EC2s and cant wait to try these babies out.

I beta-tested them, and really can't tell the difference from the original EC2 clear heads, which is to say, they sound great.

Bermuda
where do i go/sign up to beta-test new drumheads? cuz i would love to if the opporunity arose

Pocketman

The concept behind the new heads is an ink ring that is painted onto the head rather than the glued on metal ring. The limitation of the metal ring is that while the width of the ring could be modified to the size of the head (you don't want the same ring on a 10" as a 16") the density and thickness could not. They were all the same. Also, the metal ring would not stretch or breathe with the head when it was tuned.

The new ink ring allows Evans to control the ring thickness and density as well as the width. This allows them to really target select frequencies on each size and really open up the tuning range. The character of each drum really comes out.

RollingStone000

Silver Member
The concept behind the new heads is an ink ring that is painted onto the head rather than the glued on metal ring. The limitation of the metal ring is that while the width of the ring could be modified to the size of the head (you don't want the same ring on a 10" as a 16") the density and thickness could not. They were all the same. Also, the metal ring would not stretch or breathe with the head when it was tuned.

The new ink ring allows Evans to control the ring thickness and density as well as the width. This allows them to really target select frequencies on each size and really open up the tuning range. The character of each drum really comes out.
Do they use that ink ring on the coated heads as well?

Moldy

Silver Member
Hmm, interesting. So it's a similar product to Pinstripes now then, since Remo uses the ink ring concept (I think). How does it compare? I personally hated the metal strip EC2s, too much deadening.

fireems343

I just put these on my 7ply maple gretsch set, and..... maybe its my first set of maple drums, maybe its because I have always played G2's... Either case all of the people I play with agreed that they had mega Overtones, and they are pretty loud.... My 10" sounds pretty good, my 12" is pretty loud and has fair amount of overtones, 14" is not even a good sound... sounds like crap, mega overtones and my 16" is the same as 14" they just sound horrible... Now traditionally I tune slightly above a wrinkle, and my reso just about 1/8th turn tighter than batters... Is there a different method for maple? Should I go with a higher range for tuning the head... any thing will help, and I have band members telling me to muffle, but I would really like to let my set sing and not hinder it... any and all help is appreciated.

Solaris

Silver Member
Been using the new SST heads in the studio this month instead of the old EC2s and there's a small difference between the two. The SSTs do have a bit more tone, but still a very focused head. Love them, can't wait to reskin my DWs with them.

Fiery

Silver Member
Hmm, interesting. So it's a similar product to Pinstripes now then, since Remo uses the ink ring concept (I think).
Wrong. The ink ring on the Pinstripes is just for decoration. What makes sound the way they do is the layer of glue between the plies that's applied from the rim to the ink ring.