*New* Evans dB One low volume heads and cymbals

eric_B

They seem well thought out and manufactured products and sound pretty decent, especially the cymbals (better than my Millenium ones).
As far as you can tell from the video.

I do wonder how the (black color of the) cymbals will hold up over time.

Yoshinya

I really like how these mesh heads sound in comparison to what's already out on the market, especially the snare head. I'm just hoping that D'Addario gets the bigger music stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.) to slap these on some cheap demo kits on the store floor so we can find out how they feel.

Looks like they took the RTOM Black Hole concept and took it further (if you put the heads from the Black Hole directly on the shells, they make for a much more fun experience than typical mesh heads, the added vinyl patch in the center gives you some "ooomph" to the sound).

Really tempted to throw these on my cheapo kit. I was using the Black Holes, but now that I have 2 kits I could it mounted this way in permanence.

I already have L80 cymbals, but these seems way more fun. The L80s are basically only high frequencies, these are more balanced.

eric_B

I already have L80 cymbals, but these seems way more fun. The L80s are basically only high frequencies, these are more balanced.
How do you like the L80 hi-hats?
I have a cheapo Millenium set and don't like the hats a lot, they always sound fat, not much articulation.

How do you like the L80 hi-hats?
I have a cheapo Millenium set and don't like the hats a lot, they always sound fat, not much articulation.

It's my least favorite part of the set. No matter how you close it it still sounds sort of open, which can mess up your technique if you practice with it all the time. But it's my only complaint really. At least I can bash on these without bothering the wife upstairs.

Before the L80s I had a cheapo set from Amazon (Musoo I think) and those were BAAAAAD. Louder than my K Dark Thin crashes, just shrill highs, and they were cutting into the nylon sleeves on the cymbal stands. The L80 were a night and day improvement.
The Musoos... I couldn't bash on them without bothering the wife upstairs (which was kind of the point so they were useless)

eric_B

It's my least favorite part of the set. No matter how you close it it still sounds sort of open, which can mess up your technique if you practice with it all the time.
So similar to my Millenium hats. The other cymbals are not too bad actually, just don't expect great sounds from them.

I wonder if the dB One hi-hats perform better, it seems so from the video.
If they sold them separately I would just order them, I could always return them.
But spending € 379 for the whole set when I only want the hats is pretty steep.

Hypercaffium

I already have a low volume kit, and it took me approximately 4 months to improve it and make it the best I could. I'm happy to see that some of the combinations I tried and most of the things I discovered through the process are the same that I see in this dB One thing heads.
In my experience, even with regular "real" resonant heads, Silentstroke heads with L80s sound terrible, more specifically they don't sound at all. They lack tone and definition and make practice not fun at all, which defeats the purpose of a low volume (practice) kit.
Patches in the center of heads add both definition and tone, to the point that you want to use some dampening to reduce sustain and get more of a dry sound. Tuning of both resonant and mesh heads is also very important, you must find the sweet spot based on your needs and it can take some time.

Back to the main topic, what I see with these DB1 heads is patches plus the foam, which maybe is supposed to work mainly as a dampening system? I don't think those pieces of foam move that much air to be honest, I experimented with duct tape and pieces of foam under mesh heads and didn't have any luck. Just a small patch on top makes way more difference in terms of tone. Toms sound good anyway, I like the sound.
Bass drum sounds cool, probably my favourite. Foam is much bigger, maybe in this case they make some difference.
Snare... meh. It's an incredible idea and I like the sound, but I prefer mine with snares. I'm sure it feels great and can be tuned to sound good though.
I suspect cymbals would be louder than L80s or at least much brighter, which can result in more perceived loudness. I must say they sound great, especially the hats.
Probably the guys at Evans somehow tried to match heads and cymbals volume, or at least I hope it would be possible to work on that. You want to have a balanced kit to play properly, and it can be hard.

All considered, I will keep playing on my kit because I've reached the same goal using different products and I don't want to repeat everything from scratch. But this is really interesting, for sure I'll keep an eye on it, it's really nice and neat looking.

Last edited: