New DW Kit, worth it?

joshvibert

So I have my nice Pearl Masters kit for sale and am hoping to replace it with some DW Collector's. I prefer the lower/deeper DW sound and frankly, really just like the whole brand. I was shopping used DW kits and found what I think is a pretty amazing deal on a brand new set in the EXACT sizes and finish I want. Looking for a 10/12/14/16/22 setup in broken glass finishply. The deal is $2900 out the door after tax. The problem is, my budget is only $2,200, like absolute max. The other thought is that I wouldn't need or want the 10" tom for any of what I play right now, but I might want it later. So, is it worth it to move Heaven and Earth, sell stuff, etc to scrape up that extra $700? I have absolutely no aversion to buying used and actually prefer it for the cost savings. Still, though, under 3 grand for a brand new 5 pc DW is very hard to resist.

Thoughts?

Just settle for what I can truly afford buying used, ebay, craigslist, just keep waiting for the right sizes and finish?

No one can tell you how to handle your will power as far as the budget goes. Lord knows I struggle. The deal sounds good especially if the finish and sizes are what you want.
700.00 is a lot to some, not so much for others. What could you get for the 10" tom to help compensate if you sold it. Tough call. Been there many times.

That's a good deal take it. I have the exact kit plus an 8". I originally bought it without the 16" since their 14's sound like a 16 but added it a couple of years ago. Anyway I bought them in 2006 and paid $2,600 back then less the stands, so it's a good deal especially out the door. You said they are Collectors are you sure?

$2900?!?!?! I just sold the exact same set used (20" BD tho) for $3700 Canadian. Buy it man, you'll love them, I don't like them but what you describe as the sound your looking for I think DW is it, just buy them if you can

Well guys, that's it, I'm done. I just bought my dream kit and for an amazing price! DW Collectors in broken glass, 10/12/14/16/22, brand new for under $2500 shipped!!! It turns out Guitar Center is dumping all their high-end kits in the month of April, trying to blow them out. The clearance search feature is a real pain to use, but with some patience, there are some killer deals to be had! Sorry for bragging, but man, these are a dream come true! They're supposed to ship Monday, so hopefully I'll have them sometime next week. Better pics to follow then.

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr
by ASH556, on Flickr

P.S. The same kit is still available at the Knoxville, TN store. They want a little more for theirs ($2,660).

Here's a pic of me with my former DW's in college, Black Velvet, same sizes, but shallower floor toms. Had to sell them to pay tuition. Like Steve Winwood said, "Back in the high life again..."

blackvelvetdeedubs.jpg

You will never regret that decision. Hope you enjoy them!!

I thought DW did away with the Gold Badges, I haven't them on my kit and my previous DW kit either, did they bring them back on certain finishes because I have the Broken Glass Finishply.

Have fun with the kit man, she's a beaut.

Congratulations, man! They are beautiful and they're what you want. There's nothing like getting exactly what you've been dreaming of. Enjoy!

You done better than me.It usually takes me over three months to make a decision. Looks like you made yours in a little over three hours. :) Have fun!

Congratulations, man! They are beautiful and they're what you want. There's nothing like getting exactly what you've been dreaming of. Enjoy!

Couldn't agree more!

Congrats on the kit, I know you are going to have a great time playing them

Well it only took 3 hours to make up your mind. You did better than me in that regard. Congrats..That sparkle is great looking and the 2 up 2 down seems to fit you.

Just to clarify: I made up my mind so quick because I called a different store and found the same kit for $450 less! The Chicago store sold me this kit for $2450 shipped whereas the Knoxville store wouldn't go below $2660 plus tax and shipping, which brought me to $2900.

Well guys, that's it, I'm done. I just bought my dream kit and for an amazing price! DW Collectors in broken glass, 10/12/14/16/22, brand new for under $2500 shipped!!! h

Good Job Josh ! Enjoy your drums.. and it is twice the feeling when you got a good deal !

I thought DW did away with the Gold Badges, I haven't them on my kit and my previous DW kit either, did they bring them back on certain finishes because I have the Broken Glass Finishply.

Have fun with the kit man, she's a beaut.

Yes, congradulations clear black dot batters sound great on those but......

They probably ordered the kit with those badges because the newer black ones would look like crap with that finish. You can still get those badges if you want them. It's mainly because of people ordering add on drums for older kits so everything matches although the hoops will not match unless you order the regular triple flange as opposed to the now standard True Hoop.

Very nice and a good price. The gold badges make that kit several years old which is why it was priced so low. DW allows dealers to designate new old stock as "pre-owned" and sell them for a lot less. Good for you, a brand new kit at a used price. I love the color.

Yes, congradulations clear black dot batters sound great on those but......

They probably ordered the kit with those badges because the newer black ones would look like crap with that finish. You can still get those badges if you want them. It's mainly because of people ordering add on drums for older kits so everything matches although the hoops will not match unless you order the regular triple flange as opposed to the now standard True Hoop.

I had the white badges on broken glass and they looked awesome.

Back