New drums for quarantine

C.M. Jones

The new kit is mixed woods too, cherry mahogany. The Reference was maple mahogany. Pearl doesn’t do cherry, so it’s not like I settled for something pedestrian. But yeah, balls 😉
Pearl offers a Music City Custom solid-shell snare in cherry. I doubt they do cherry toms and basses, however.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Enjoy your new kit in good health! While I love my Ludwig CM's to death, I do also have a DW Frequent Flyer kit for the real small gigs, and was my foray into the DW drum world along with owning their hardware. The construction is top notch and I do like the HVLT shell construction.

On a semi-related note about Mahogany, I'm perpetually debating on getting a DW Jazz Series in Gum/Mahogany configuration. I watched a YT video with that configuration and was blown away by the low end, fullness, vibe, and clarity.

Scottie15

Ok, now what’s the problem?
hahaha nothing. I understand the need to change and try something else out. Experience new sounds. I just think the Reference is the pinnacle of production drum manufacturing in terms of quality, craftsmanship and sound. You get the best of everything: maple, birch and mahogany.

Only thing I'd trade it for is probably a Reference Pure, just for the lighter load! (replace the fat tone hoops with diecast and we're good).

NouveauCliche

Thought I’d experiment and took delivery of a new DW Collectors kit in cherry mahogany. The inner vertical mahogany with no re-rings should boost low end, but I decided to help them by installing Evans EC2’s on the toms and an EQ4 on the bass drum. The satin finish is absolutely beautiful. Sizes are 13x9/16x15/22x16. I ordered two Collectors snares that I’ll see on Tuesday: both 14x6.5 and one is brass coated in chrome nickel, and the other is a all-maple with rings with a satin natural finish.

These are really nice!View attachment 92717View attachment 92718View attachment 92719View attachment 92720View attachment 92721View attachment 92722View attachment 92723View attachment 92724
I bet that is an awesome sounding kit - I have a 3 play cherry kit and I love it - in those sizes with the Mahogany - I bet that is thunder. I would use that exact heads on a kit like that too for the toms - very cool.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Enjoy your new kit in good health! While I love my Ludwig CM's to death, I do also have a DW Frequent Flyer kit for the real small gigs, and was my foray into the DW drum world along with owning their hardware. The construction is top notch and I do like the HVLT shell construction.

On a semi-related note about Mahogany, I'm perpetually debating on getting a DW Jazz Series in Gum/Mahogany configuration. I watched a YT video with that configuration and was blown away by the low end, fullness, vibe, and clarity.
Very cool. You’d be buying a Gretsch kit 😉

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
hahaha nothing. I understand the need to change and try something else out. Experience new sounds. I just think the Reference is the pinnacle of production drum manufacturing in terms of quality, craftsmanship and sound. You get the best of everything: maple, birch and mahogany.

Only thing I'd trade it for is probably a Reference Pure, just for the lighter load! (replace the fat tone hoops with diecast and we're good).
I’ve had both and they’re great. But the reality for me is getting in touch when I want to add-on (if ever). DW is a Los Angeles thing and it’s very easy to deal with people in the same time zone 😉

C.M. Jones

This I know. And really not interested in paying Masterworks prices and waiting 12 months for it to show up.
Hear you all the way on that one. The Masterworks orders really make sense only with an endorsement that translates to free drums. Otherwise, there's just too much time and money involved,

Sorry to see you leave Pearl, but you seem to be pretty pleased with your DW selection, which, as far as I can tell, is a high-quality product. Enjoy them!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hear you all the way on that one. The Masterworks orders really make sense only with an endorsement that translates to free drums. Otherwise, there's just too much time and money involved,

Sorry to see you leave Pearl, but you seem to be pretty pleased with your DW selection, which, as far as I can tell, is a high-quality product. Enjoy them!
I still have these for my Bonham style work:

Attachments

TJK

Thought I’d experiment and took delivery of a new DW Collectors kit in cherry mahogany. The inner vertical mahogany with no re-rings should boost low end, but I decided to help them by installing Evans EC2’s on the toms and an EQ4 on the bass drum. The satin finish is absolutely beautiful. Sizes are 13x9/16x15/22x16. I ordered two Collectors snares that I’ll see on Tuesday: both 14x6.5 and one is brass coated in chrome nickel, and the other is a all-maple with rings with a satin natural finish.

These are really nice!View attachment 92717View attachment 92718View attachment 92719View attachment 92720View attachment 92721View attachment 92722View attachment 92723View attachment 92724
Damn, how many corona bonuses did you get! Lol jk beautiful drums!

Scottie15

I’ve had both and they’re great. But the reality for me is getting in touch when I want to add-on (if ever). DW is a Los Angeles thing and it’s very easy to deal with people in the same time zone 😉
That's a great point. DW is much easier to deal with when it comes to add-on drums, especially considering their proximity