New drums for quarantine

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thought I’d experiment and took delivery of a new DW Collectors kit in cherry mahogany. The inner vertical mahogany with no re-rings should boost low end, but I decided to help them by installing Evans EC2’s on the toms and an EQ4 on the bass drum. The satin finish is absolutely beautiful. Sizes are 13x9/16x15/22x16. I ordered two Collectors snares that I’ll see on Tuesday: both 14x6.5 and one is brass coated in chrome nickel, and the other is a all-maple with rings with a satin natural finish.

These are really nice!F6348308-CF4C-410A-A4BC-C40F5A52BE9D.jpeg779167DC-85A1-4C40-B88D-372EC54F1341.jpegB1309A60-CD8D-493B-B3C7-1ECA1FCBCCA5.jpeg9FA43C2D-4927-42E0-938A-B87A0F53CB39.jpegBD3A6FD1-7745-4F19-9A4D-547FE6A062DF.jpeg7E660E8A-CE87-4920-A971-15464E7F49A8.jpeg7EEFD1B0-9A14-42F3-97C0-4F97E9888BB7.jpeg560CE0FD-5C58-4F4A-B096-41232DB9DDBE.jpeg

gish

That’s a great looking set of drums. Evans heads? Always thought you were a Remo guy. I am also currently experimenting with EC2s on my Starclassic kit; found myself wanting to hear more stick attack then I was getting from coated G2s. Might try good old Pinstripes next if I don’t care for the EC2s.

RayI

Very nice. they should sound awesome with those heads , let us know how they sound

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Beautiful kit Bo. Surprising too. Unexpected. Kind of like you I guess. Loving the grain and color.

I've been interested in a cherry kit for years now.

Here's a request for a video sometime this year so we can hear what cherry drums sound like.

Thanks in advance. I'm really interested in your take on this kit. Details please!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Those look nice. I've wondered about cherry as well. What didn't you like about the stock heads? :unsure:
The stock heads are basically clear ambassadors with white coating around the edges. And while good, they don’t do low tunings well without flapping. But it’s better than getting UT heads for the money you spend.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Beautiful kit Bo. Surprising too. Unexpected. Kind of like you I guess. Loving the grain and color.

I've been interested in a cherry kit for years now.

Here's a request for a video sometime this year so we can hear what cherry drums sound like.

Thanks in advance. I'm really interested in your take on this kit. Details please!
Give me a few days 👍🏽

Old Dog new Cans

Another great/gorgeous kit Bo. I'm jealous of your ability to store all of these drums. I'm running out of room personally. LOOKING forward to one of your videos behind this kit.

(y)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Congrats, Bo! How Do those sound compared to maple drums?
Before I get around to doing a video, let me say this: the combination of cherry and mahogany does give me a certain amount of low end up front that you have to coax out of the all-maple shells. The DW Collector's that are all maple with reinforcement rings are slightly higher in pitch, and the low end isn't quite as prominent. These cherry/mahogany shells, without reinforcement rings, sound especially fat now with the EC2 heads. The bass drum is good, but it's not knocking my socks off yet. It still has the ported normal reso head DW sends with the kit, and I installed a EQ4 batter head. I put the included mufflers in the drum and it works, it sounds like a bass drum. I'm going to try my usual EQ3 ported front head next, and I also have an EQ3 non-ported calf head too. But the toms are really lively.

I also continue to pledge an allegiance to Remo, but I must say (again), the last few times I've bought emperor tom heads, I'd get one that was just dead and sounded muted next to the others. So I may be writing off Remo for the time being because of this quality issue that just bugs me. Evans has much better quality control and I've never had a head be deader than the others in the same model.