New Drums Day (DW Acrylic inside)

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I have had my set for about 6 months and I have been nothing but pleased with them. I put a set of CS Black Dots on them and they sing like a bird. I am going to pick up a 14" floor tom in the next couple of months. Enjoy!

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I have had my set for about 6 months and I have been nothing but pleased with them. I put a set of CS Black Dots on them and they sing like a bird. I am going to pick up a 14" floor tom in the next couple of months. Enjoy!

I'm planning on ordering the 14" at some point as well, I'm trying to sell off some stuff and I need to invest in some nice bags before I do that.

I think a bass drum conversion kit would be cool as well. A 12/14/16 Acrylic Mini kit might be nice.

Acrylic seems to get a bad rap sound wise on forums and stuff, maybe that is because most people have never actually heard or played one live. I've been really enjoying the sound even with the single ply top and bottoms that come stock.

ESR14

My local shop has one of these set up and it sounds phenomenal! I hope you have a ton of fun with it Bert!

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I got a set of Evans Hydraulic Glass heads in today. I thought about getting Red or Blue, but I ended up getting the Clear ones cheaper. I figured since I'm trying to figure out if I liked them I'd go with the cheaper option.

I basically did what Kenny Sherrets talked about on his video talking about Hydraulics and Acrylic drums. Tuned them fairly low, bottom head is a 4th higher than the top head. They sound really good and very musical without needing any moongels or dampening at all. They aren't dead at all and I was surprised about how much resonance actually is still there.

Anyway I also got my Black Nickel over Brass DW Collectors Snare in, which sounds really nice as well.

Now I just need to figure out the bass drum, I don't think I'm liking the dual PS3 type heads.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member

Old Dog new Cans

So very cool. I always loved those old school acrylics . . .were they Ludwig?

Very nice man.

Vistalites??

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
So very cool. I always loved those old school acrylics . . .were they Ludwig?

Very nice man.

Vistalites??
Ludwig's were the Vistalites and probably were the most famous, Fibes also had acrylic drums back in the day and there was the Pearl Crystal Beats back then as well. I think Sonor had some too.

Edit: I forgot about Zickos as well.

Old Dog new Cans

Ludwig's were the Vistalites and probably were the most famous, Fibes also had acrylic drums back in the day and there was the Pearl Crystal Beats back then as well. I think Sonor had some too.

Edit: I forgot about Zickos as well.

What do you notice about their sound? Is it distinctly different than wood shells?

I had no idea there were that many back then.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
What do you notice about their sound? Is it distinctly different than wood shells?

I had no idea there were that many back then.

The problem about saying if it is distinctly different than wood shells is that there are so many wood shelled drums out there that all sound completely different.

If you listened to an acrylic kit blindfolded and a couple of various wood kits, it might be difficult to pick out the acrylic one. Though they do seem to have their own sound, it just might be difficult to just pick them out of a line up. They remind me a bit of Birch kits, but warmer and more even sounding. I've found the tone to be surprisingly full and rich. Overall, to me it just sounds like a good kit.

Old Dog new Cans

The problem about saying if it is distinctly different than wood shells is that there are so many wood shelled drums out there that all sound completely different.

If you listened to an acrylic kit blindfolded and a couple of various wood kits, it might be difficult to pick out the acrylic one. Though they do seem to have their own sound, it just might be difficult to just pick them out of a line up. They remind me a bit of Birch kits, but warmer and more even sounding. I've found the tone to be surprisingly full and rich. Overall, to me it just sounds like a good kit.

I guess when it comes down to it, they're cylinders with skins? Lol But I hear ya. I just didn't know if they did actually distinguish themselves.

And clear, the absence of color. Perfect ;)